5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Healthy Recipes
I like the concept of making meals ahead and having them in the freezer for those busy times or when I just don't feel like cooking. An issue I've had with some make-ahead cookbooks is that so many of the recipes rely on canned condensed "cream of" soups and other processed ingredients, and end up being high in fat, starches, and sodium.

This cookbook is...
Published on June 18, 2011 by Books and Chocolate

2.0 out of 5 stars Not practical
Published on January 30, 2012 by me

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Healthy Recipes, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Make-Ahead Meals Made Healthy: Exceptionally Delicious and Nutritious Freezer-Friendly Recipes You Can Prepare in Advance and Enjoy at a Moment's Notice (Paperback)

This cookbook is different with its focus on real, healthier ingredients, all of which can be found at any larger grocery store. The recipes themselves are not complicated so cooks of any level will be able to master them. Included are casseroles, meats, poultry, and seafood; soups, stews, and chilis; side dishes and vegetarian options, breads, rolls, and pizzas; appetizers, breakfast dishes, desserts, and sauces and condiments.

The book starts with helpful tips on freezing and organizing for a cooking session. While one doesn't have to spend an entire day cooking for a month, suggestions are given for making multiple dishes at the same time in order to have several meals ready for the week(s) ahead.

There are several recipes I look forward to trying, including an unusual butternut squash and chard lasgagne, three-bean Italian minestrone soup, turkey sausage and broccoli rabe calzones, low-carb mini quiche, creamy turkey casserole with broccoli and cauliflower, raspberry-lavender crumb cake, and dark chocolate mint cake. I did make a modified version of the All-Occasion Sloppy Janes recipe with good results.

There are many color photographs which always makes a cookbook nicer and although it isn't spiral bound, it does lay open while in use which I also appreciate. This is a cookbook I recommend for those who like to plan ahead and have meals ready in the freezer that are also healthy.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, Healthy and Convenient, February 9, 2012
I bought this book about 3 weeks ago because I really enjoy healthy cooking! However, I don't enjoy cooking at 10pm after my shift ends during the work week. I saw this book and thought it might be the answer.

Already it's working great! I've spent the last 2 Sundays shopping and cooking nearly all day. I've cooked 10+ meals from this book so far, though some are still in my freezer waiting to be sampled. It's just my husband and me, but he is pickier when it comes to healthy meals. Basically, if it "tastes" healthy, he avoids it. He's eaten everything so far without complaint.

In addition to healthy eating and convenience, we've noticed another side effect. Though some of the meals require obscure or higher-priced ingredients, freezer cooking has saved us money! I'm not 100% sure how, because I was already planning a week of meals and shopping ahead. (I suspect it's because none of my fresh produce goes to waste when I'm using it in 3 or 4 meals cooking in a single day.)

This book provides instructions for freezing both individual servings (reheat at work) and entire dishes. For us, I like to divide the recipe in half to make a medium-sized meal + one round of leftovers for 2 people. I was worried I may need to buy a lot of Tupperware or other similar products for freezing. Instead, there are clear instructions on freezing with large ziplock bags, casserole dishes, aluminum foil, freezer tape and freezer wrap - all pretty affordable!

So far we both really liked: Chinese Pork with 5-Spice Apples (wow!), Mu Shu Pork, Sloppy Janes, Coconut Chicken Strips, Whole-Grain Pesto Pasta Casserole, Ginger Fried Rice, and Red Lentil Sausage Soup. My freezer is also stocked with Pot Stickers, Paella, Chicken & Wild Rice Soup, and Asian Tuna Cakes just waiting to be sampled. I wasn't wowed by the Borboa Goulash or Sesame Grilled Chicken; they were just "okay".

The only reason I gave 4 stars out of 5 was the difficulty in finding and paying for some of the more obscure ingredients. One example: almond flour is healthier, and super delicious for making the chicken coconut strips. At $11 for a 4-cup bag, it should be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not practical, January 30, 2012
While the recipes in this book are very healthy, they are often not very good. I have made several recipes from this book and I have only encountered one or two that I would make again. Also, this is not a good book if you are looking to save time or money. The ingredients can be difficult to find and usually expensive. I could not find brown basmati rice or bhutanese red rice. Also, I have found that some of the recipes can be quite complicated. I have no trouble putting the time in if the end result is worth it. Not the case here. I will say, though, that these recipes are very healthy and nutritious. I picked up a few tips that I will use with other recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy yes: Kid friendly probably not, January 8, 2012
I skimmed through the cookbook yesterday hoping to find some healthier make-ahead recipes to feed my family. Yes, I found healthy recipes but unfortunately most of the recipes were not something my family (in particular my kids) would not eat. I also found most of the recipes presented could be prepared at home using commonsense.

For example I now do the following when preparing make-ahead or freezer meals:

Use leaner cuts of meat
Drain off fat
Sneak vegetables in casseroles and sauces
Use low-fat cheese
Use whole grains such as white wheat flour when baking breads

Like I wrote most of this is commonsense and I discovered I really didn't need this cookbook.

For those just starting out on the healthy road to eating, or learning how to prepare make-ahead meals, this book will suit your needs.

Recommend with caveats given.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, October 17, 2011
Great recipes , good for people who need some nutritious tips on cooking. Can be recipes for two or for a whole family

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome helpful book!!, July 9, 2012
I am not a great cook, and I don't really like to cook. And many things I make don't really turn out. But THIS book has changed all that!! For ONCE the recipes turn out, they taste good, they are healthy and wholesome. I have been trying new whole foods, and I have been pleasantly surprised. I never know what kind of foods will freeze ok so this book has been very helpful. My eyes usually gloss over when I see more than five ingredients, so I really don't care for fancy-pants cookbooks. The recipes I have tried require a little effort, but no food degree is required!! :) Until recently pretty much everything I made was convenience foods/ pre-made foods, and I did very little actual cooking. With some time invested on Sunday afternoon, I have been making homemade WHOLESOME meals that I can serve easy to my family later in the week (or the next week).

If this book dropped in my life a year ago, it may not have been for me. But I have come to the place where I am trying to get AWAY from processed foods. I am willing to make the time investment to be healthier and eat healthier. I am willing to try new vegetables, new grains, new fresh herbs, new foods. The Make-Ahead Meals Made Healthy has been used more than any other cookbook I have bought, and I have only had it a couple weeks. Now I am off to see what other cookbooks this author has out! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy, June 6, 2014
Yeah, yeah, so many cookbooks promise this, but this also advertised multiple servings and healthy, so I bought it. (Having a section on "how to freeze stuff" helped as well.) I tried the green chile-stuffed chicken breasts and the burritos. As I was shopping for the burritos I was thinking: lima beans? raisins? But I bought them. As the pot of filling was cooking, I kept thinking: lima beans? raisins? and added cinnamon? to my doubts. The concoction didn't smell anything like burritos, so I told myself to consider it a healthy wrap.

It was delicious! In the future I'll make more, for sure. And I'll be making the chile-stuffed chicken again, only next time I need to find some YouTube videos about just how one goes about stuffing chicken breasts, as I did a lousy job and the book really didn't give helpful instructions for this process. Glad I bought the book. It might give me more time at night for other things besides cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far..., October 5, 2011
Leone (Okanogan, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
So far I've only made the tamale pie, which was FANTASTIC! I'm really excited about doing big time cooking on Sundays and then being able to slack during the week. There is a recipe for frozen single serve rice that I'm really excited to try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book with Healthy Options, March 12, 2014
This cookbook is great and really pulls through on the healthy promise. I've browsed others that claim to be healthy, but they all included a lot of processed and high-salt canned "cream of" soups. I am torn between rating it a 4 or 5 star simply because there are a few recipes that I feel take a little more prep than I am willing to invest, such as the calzones and stuffed pastries. However, most of the recipes are much simpler. I have not found any of the ingredients to be hard to find or too expensive. I do sometimes substitute for ingredients we have on hand or want to use up (such as a different type of bean or rice). We have made several of the recipes (there are a few in the freezer now). We have loved the tamale pie, tasty turkey meatballs, chicken and wild rice bake, meatloaf (big hit and a healthy variation on a standard), coconut crusted chicken strips, Asian spiced tuna cakes and the venison black bean chili. As a matter of fact, I am having the turkey casserole with broccoli and cauliflower for lunch today!
In short, what I can make with this book is TREMENDOUSLY healthier than anything I could buy pre-prepared from my average local grocery. I feel much better about feeding these to my family AND I save a ton of time as a full time student and student with a job outside the home.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good one, October 25, 2011
Brownie "Brownie" (Shelbyville, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very good and useful cookbook - and I have a lot of them. I have been a personal chef and have learned to freeze a lot of interesting meals but this had some new ideas. Glad I made this purchase.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

$19.99 $15.64
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.