Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 26, 2006
This is one of the best books I've ever read. There are a handful of books I read annually such as the Bible (daily); How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie; Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill; The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Classon; and a few others. This book is on that list so much so that I've read at least a chapter of it weekly since reading it a few years back. It comes with 49 short, easy to read chapters with ACTION STEPS for each. For those of you that can do math- that means not counting three weeks vacation time you can read a chapter a week and DO something about it. Not getting three weeks a year off? You DEFINITELY need to read this.

But seriously, the points Frank McKinney makes in this book are simple, but profound-- my personal favorite is the lost art of taking great risks to attain great rewards. In our namby, pamby culture that values the illusion of stability and security this book is a breath of fresh air, and a real, tangible insight on how you can get fantastically wealthy from someone who's done it.

Running a close second is discovering your passion or "highest calling" as early as possible in life, and developing a vision for your passion. To paraphrase Thoreau "Live Deliberately!". So many people these days live like zombies. The light is on, but nobody is home. Nothing they do is by choice, or from the standpoint of being passionate about something and having a purpose, or vision for their lives.

I could point out the virtues of the whole book, but I don't want to re-write it for a review- so I'll end with my third favorite (which may actually be number one in terms of the order of IMPORTANCE to success) It is in Frank's words, taking the "lunch pail approach". In short- show up to work- consistently, persistently, on time and ready to work. Having run several companies, it amazes me how few people possess the integrity and self-discipline to carry out this first and most basic requirement for success. Woody Allen once joked (paraphrasing) that "80% of success is just showing up" and while it was his brand of self-depricating humour to explain why he, of all people, had done so many hit movies-- it's also very, very true. You can't hit a home run if you never step up to the plate, and you can't step up to the plate if you never show up to practice, and take the time to prepare. Showing up to the big game, or the big show-- seeing your name in the lights, starts with integrity and self-discipline in the little, unpleasant tasks of life that nobody sees you doing, and you don't get any credit for, but that you know you should be doing.
on March 28, 2002
I am an EVP for a Fortune 500 company and was on a business trip in San Francisco. During a break I went to a large chain bookstore downtown. There was this unique looking man (long hair and colorful clothing) conducting a book signing with a throng of people surrounding him.
I am an avid reader and rarely get a chance to meet an author. I waited my turn and got a chance to meet Frank McKinney. I must admit I had never heard of him before. He took the time to speak to me as if I were the only one there. He asked what line of work I was in and offered a few of his "philosophies". I was so intrigued that I bought a book for myself, as well as each person in my group. I thought they would get a kick out of it. Well, to a person they have thanked me for the gift. Each has finished the book and we have begun to implement some of the "secrets" found in Mr. McKinney's book. I strongly recommend this book to those who want to make a meaningful change not only in their business, but in their life.
on July 17, 2002
Wow, what a fantastic read. Frank McKinney insights on life have truly inspired me. The wonderful thing about this book is that it focuses on all areas of life. I now want it ALL !!! And I know I can have it all !! Financial success, family success, spirtual success !!! Please read this book, you won't be dissapointed.
on December 28, 2007
This book is not about property investment. It's about Frank's unique recipe for a life well lived. Don't let the long hair and colourful clothes throw you. It is obvious Frank is a relatively young man of exceptional intelligence and energy to make your head spin. I doubt many of us could keep up with him.

Frank runs a tight ship with all the management devices you find in huge government bureaucracies - strategic planning sessions, mission statements, short-term planning and reviewing, performance indicators and staff audits. I suspect he's a shocking control freak.

I had never heard of Frank until a web ad enticed me to join his "webinar". He spoke only plain good sense. No sales nonsense endorsing risky problem-fraught strategies as I half expected. I knew he was absolutely the real deal when I read in his forward a warm acknowledgement of his ghost writer.

It is sad that there are imbeciles out there (see other reviews) that believe he writes his own testimonials or that his long hair invalidates his wisdom (it's actually an artefact of his wisdom as he explains fully).

If I could have read this book 30 years ago I wouldn't have spent so long in government.

Thanks to Frank I'll no longer be too embarrassed to wear a pretty bow tie when I'm consulting. And he has inspired me to exercise my "risk muscle" - it's time for me to "up the ante" in terms of my own real estate investment strategies. And he's challenged me to loosen up and let go of some of my "Scrooge-ish tendencies"

I'll make sure my eldest son and grandson get to read this book.
Vic Barnes PhD
on May 5, 2004
When my girlfriend gave me a copy of Frank Mckinney's book I was a little hesitant. While I am a single female and thought the cover appealing I almost did what you are not supposed to do, "judge a book by its cover".
I read the first section about having a vision for my passion, then skipped to section four about taking risks. It was the first book that I read where I could just go straight to the section that I wanted to immediately learn about.
By the end of the weekend I had finished the whole book, albeit in a round-about way.
I strongly recommend Make it Big for the reasons I stated above. I really loved how the book's 7 different sections flowed, where each chapter was relatively short and easy to put into action in my own life. Use it as your guide to living a very well balanced life.
on February 11, 2002
I loved some of the other reviews about how Frnak just seems like a normal guy and about how he resisted conforming to the corporate ideal, etc. It almost makes it sound like he grew up in the slums with no future and his attitude and views on life made him sucessful. In fact, he comes from one the wealthiest families in Indianapolis, had every opportunity that most never do and inherited part of his father's fortune when he was killed in a plane crash ten years ago; any hard times Frank ever experienced were self inflicted. I don't mean to minimize Frank's book but it's easy to have such a carefree outlook on life and not to worry about the small things when you're born rich.
on August 14, 2003
I was told by a friend that Mr. Mckinney's book was different than most of the success literature on the market today and judging by the cover I thought my friend was crazy. Who is this rock and roll looking guy? I trust this friend and bought the book and immediately lost the cover to my girlfriend who liked it for her own obvious reasons.
Cover aside, I absolutely loved the book! Here is guy who can walk his talk, who is not a motivational guy but one who has actually done what he suggests in the book. I like that. It is an easy read as each chapter is short (there are 49 of them). Buy it, remove the cover and give it to your wife or girlfriend, then implement what is between the pages. You will be glad you did!
on January 29, 2002
I must admit I bought it because of the cover and what was said on the inside of the jacket, but when I started to read each chapter I couldn't put it down! The best part is that each chapter is only about 5-6 pages long. Depending on what you want to reference, whether it's "exercising your risk threshold", perseverance or sharing your life's blessings with others you can go straight the particular section that interests you. I also loved the fact that Frank believes in giving back to those who are less fortunate than him. Frank's book really provides a balanced approach to life. I would recommend it!
on February 5, 2002
Frank is my older Brother by 10 years. Like many young brothers, I admired, and still do, my older brother. I have owned and operated my own real estate business for six years. I have had the privilege and advantage of utilizing Frank's philosophies long before his book came out. I have challenged, debated and tested his philosophies. I can testify, that once I let his philosophies into my life and began to fully utilize them, my business & personal life improved. His book does not sway from the content I learned from him during the hours and hours he has mentored me in person, on the phone and by example. Do yourself a favor and add this book to your diet for a life of success. It is a wonderful compass.
on January 20, 2003
I just finished reading Mr. Mckinney's book for the 3rd time. The first time I read the the book I did so in a conventional way, from front to back. The second time I reversed, and read from back to front. This most recent time I read certain chapters (each one is only about 5-6 pages long) that represent Mr. Mckinney's philosophies on certain aspects of life that I felt I needed to work on. Make it big is more of a guide or reference book than a non-fiction read. If there are certain areas of your life that need more attention then I suggest going to those specific chapters right away. After all, there are 49 of them and each has its place in this wonderfully written book. I highly recommend it.