Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for Free
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 26, 2011
If you, like me, don't know anything about making and selling eBooks, this little, precious book is an essential starting point. But I suppose this eBook will be very useful for more seasoned authors, because it contains a lot of data.
First of all, the Author knows his stuff: he made, marketed and sold eBooks. And he is not a supertechwizard, so he writes in plain English (I'm Italian, but I understood everything...), in a very easy but meticulous way.
Secondly, the book is well structured. The chapters are focused on different areas covering all the subjects you need to find your way in this industry. For example:
- How to build an online presence (chose a domain name, creating a blog, social media)
- Concepts related to eBooks (the different formats, the online sellers like Amazon, how to correctly format your masterpiece and so on)
- How to market you, the Author, and your eBook in a lot of different ways and places
- How and where spend some money, if you like it
You can read it quickly, and then you can go back to the different sections when you need to execute a specific task or strategy. In this way you will have a better understanding of the overall complexity of this task, and you can start planning wisely, without getting lost.
My advice is to buy this book before you start spending dozens of hours on the web trying to extract some useful information from a sea of fluff!
on June 29, 2011
Good roadmap to do your own ebook!
I bought this book after combing thru many websites and not really finding a clear a-z guide on doing your own ebook and getting it out there.Many of the sites just wanted to sell me a pricey package that at the cost they wanted,I could have had a print book published on my own with hundreds of copies for a start.
Jason Matthews had published his own paper edition and got a quick reality check on what worked and what didn't.
His next venture was to put his knowledge into creating e-books,marketing them and getting a good return.
He succeeded and in this compact book of knowledge will probably tell you a few things you didn't know.
Impressive and an easy read!
on July 19, 2011
I just bought and read Jason Matthews' book "How to Make, Market, and Sell Ebooks - All for Free" and would like to share my impressions of the book with anyone thinking of buying it. If you are going to make your book available as an ebook, you really need to get Jason's book and read it as quickly as possible. I read it twice. The first time I read just to get an idea of the scope that making and marketing an ebook encompasses. The second time, I went through and implemented all of Jason's ideas. This was the first book I've read on my Kindle where I made use of the notes and bookmarks options that Kindle offers. I marked up Jason's book bigtime, because it has soooo many useful tips, and he walks you through each one step by step. I'm a novice on the computer, but he explained everything so that even I could understand and implement his advice. Jason has obviously learned by doing, and he is a master at this. Furthermore, unlike many authors who tell you to contact them because they'd love to hear from you, Jason actually does, and both times I contacted him, via Facebook and his website, he answered me right away. I came away from this book thinking that if I ever do make it big as an author, the first thing I'd do is hire Jason Matthews to do all of my marketing for me. He takes you through every step of the process, from formatting to uploading to marketing, and he does it in a way that makes a VERY overwhelming process seem doable. If you are making your ebook available for Kindle, Nook, or any other reading device as an ebook, you simply must get Jason's book. Thanks for all your help, Jason.

Jim Rodgers
Author of The Old Guy Rules
on July 6, 2013
Reading this book was my first foray into writing ebooks. I valued its candor, its easy conversational presentation, the information provided, and especially the prospect of publishing for free.

But there were shortcomings:

- No index. This reduces the value of the book as a reference.

- No illustrations except for the author and his family. I would have appreciated some kind of flowchart for a step by step procedure to accomplish publication using some examples.

- Subsections are not clearly defined by fonts or outlining.

- Only 153 pages of text.

- 32 pages about the author including a lengthy sample of another of his books

- Nil info on copyrighting

- No glossary or list of acronyms

- Unnecessary repetition

- Odd text justification which left strange gaps in the text

Since reading this book, I have also read Publishing E-books for Dummies by Ali Luke. I will probably use that book as my primary reference for writing ebooks.
review image
on January 22, 2012
Good, clear advice and how-to's with lots of follow-up resources to use, as needed. Jason Matthews takes the time to give specific instructions for those who might be unfamiliar with internet media--blogs, social media, website creation, etc. Even though he gives those step-by-step instructions, the information is valid even if one is internet media savvy because he tells HOW to use the media as an author.
on April 7, 2015
I bought this book a while ago and it was sitting on my kindle like a hidden pot of gold. While on a flight earlier today, I read it and wow, was I pleasantly surprised.
First of all, you get value for your money.
The book is packed full of useful information. One of the things I did not know and always wanted to know was how to sell books directly from my website, the exact procedure involved step by step. This is the only book I have read where this is given. I am sure there are countless you tube videos, but I prefer books to tell me how.
In the book, the author says if you want a pdf version, to email him at a certain address and he will send you the pdf version. I did this as I like a hard copy. I received the pdf in a few minutes of my email with a personal note.
So often now days book authors just want to get you on their list to sell you more products. I do not get this feeling at all with Jason.
The pdf is 134 pages in length! A lot of other how to ebooks are about 30 pages in length at the same price!
I will print and study this guide. Time to get publishing.
Good luck to you all and I hope that my review has helped you.
on December 27, 2010
I've been a commercially published author for over 25 years and am just now getting into Ebooks since self-publishing my first book in 1992. Jason Matthews brings his expertise in writing and publishing together in this user-freindly guide to marketing and publishing ebooks. His conversational language and patient explanations appeal to newbies and experienced writers alike. This book contains a wealth of information and clear, use-it-now directions for anyone who wants to add another plank to their marketing platform. Well done.
on February 27, 2012
This a real step-by-step book. The author knows the topic and has the expertise to tell readers what to do and how, warns about traps and save money. Expenses can be really reduced to zero and you can take off with confidence. A really excellent book.How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for FREE: Ebooksuccess4free
on May 11, 2012
The title says it all: how to do exactly what I needed to do and at my level of information intake. When I began the book I knew absolutely nothing about how to create an e-publication or about the technological platforms available to create and market it. But (and this is important) I not a technophobe--I know how to RTFM and dive in to do most geeky things, at least if I have a how-to list in front of me. If that is where you are too, then this information is incredibly valuable.

I didn't give it five stars only because it wasn't perfectly edited (and I am a perfectionist). I felt his enthusiasm (a wonderful thing) got the better of him sometimes, with a bit of a ramble or redundancy that could be tightened up. I also could have used a one-page check list to use as a plan/schedule in doing the project, one which points out the order to do things in.

This could re-emphasize his advice to perhaps start creating your internet platform even before finishing the e-book itself, and start your social networking before blogging, just to give two examples. I will dig all this out from the free .pdf file I will get of his book, for writing this review--honesty is the best policy.

And the Kindle price is definitely right.
on July 11, 2012
Matthews previews the book's content early with the following: "I will only market my books in ways that are free or extremely cheap! Guess what? The free stuff actually works better than the expensive stuff. Who knew?"

We learn from experience - either our own, or the experiences of others. We also learn from both good and bad experiences. Thank goodness! Though I'd love to learn from good experiences of my own, I'm most grateful to learn from the bad experiences of others. I'm quite happy to learn from their mistakes.

From Matthews, I get to learn both. He candidly begins with his own background story and openly cautions first about the costly mistakes he made in the beginning. Thank you, Jason Matthews. With the "to avoid" list noted, it's much easier to focus on the strategies and techniques that have proven beneficial and profitable for Matthews and other indie authors on the same path.

With the soaring popularity of Kindle and other eBook formats, sales potential is huge even for the brand new indie author. Even better, the overhead is minimal, so taking your shot as an author costs mostly your time and effort. Matthews shows you how to best spend both.

Though my primary purpose for initially buying the book was the in-depth section reviewing online payment methods and selling eBooks from one's own web site, I quickly found value in multiple topics:
* Social Media
* eBook Covers
* Photos and images
* Software
* Formatting
* Online Publishing and Distribution (Smashwords, PubIt, Amazon, etc.)
* eBook readers, devices, software
* Selling through your own web site
* Free web site creation and hosting
* Promotion
* Reviews
...all from the perspective of an author (not a band, not an internet marketer, not an ecological non-profit group - an author).

There are plenty of resources available on all these topics, but examining them from the perspective of an author focuses us on how they are best used by authors.

The scope of the book is comprehensive for the entire writing process - which does not end at the final page of one's book. Writing the book is just one part. Marketing and networking often take more effort than actual writing.

Most useful in the mass of information, Matthews includes links to even more resources and examples. As a guide for indie authors, How to Make, Market, and Sell eBooks All For Free is a gem of a reference. As a nudge and a point in the right direction, it is priceless.

It certainly answered my questions about selling eBooks from my own web site - and then, some.

Jason Matthews also hosts an online cable network show on HangoutNetworks.com where he and other indie authors discuss all things writing. Tune in live each week or enjoy the archived episodes of Indie Authors on Hangout Networks.

Sherry Snider, Technical Writer