Published on December 1, 2010 by O. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Miracle in forty days
The book brought good insight on self awareness and discovering the desires one keeps deep inside. I did the exercises not religiously yet thru the exercises I learned miracles can happen but only if you seek them out. Finding gratitude, acknowledging blessings in one's own life and gaining insight on one's own strengths can produce miracles. My miracle came in the...
Published 13 months ago by JMDRN

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Approach to Personal Transformation with a Powerful and Worthwhile Practice, December 1, 2010
This review is from: Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want (Hardcover)
*****
This is another five star winner from author Melody Beattie, well-known for her past work in the area of codependency. I didn't know what to think when I read the title "Make Miracles in Forty Days" and thought that perhaps this time she had overreached, but I was wrong. This short book covers exactly why and how you can--by doing an exercise she calls "Project Miracle"--make profound changes in your life--everything from actual miracles of things happening that you can hardly believe to major shifts in your attitude and how you experience things. This is not a shallow book at all or one that makes empty promises, for you must be willing to work honestly and hard for at least ten minutes a day each and every day for forty days on the Miracle Project. Obviously, the book doesn't guarantee miracles, but I can guarantee you that you will not do the work and be unchanged; whether or not you choose to participate, I think you will agree with me.

It is a short book of 129 pages of content with almost 50 pages of sample exercises, but you really need that much to truly understand all there is to doing the Miracle Project correctly. Many people, like the author, will choose to do this as a life practice. I read the book tonight and am starting the exercise tomorrow (the author suggests doing it in the morning not more than a half hour after you get up), although I did some of it tonight as I was so eager to start. I'll do it for the forty days, and if it helps me as much as I think it will, I plan to also adopt it as a life practice. [Note: I will update this review in 40 days.] The book includes information about how to do the Miracle Project with kids, an FAQ section, and lots of "how to" information since it's important to do the exercise correctly to get good results. You can do the exercise alone or with a partner, but it should be with someone you totally trust and can be completely transparent with.

I on purpose don't want to tell you too much about what the Miracle Project is. The reason is (1) I hate spoilers, and (2) the author herself holds you in suspense, suggesting that you read the chapters in order and do the exercises (they're quick) at the end of each chapter to prepare yourself for the Miracle Project. If you just casually hear about it, I think most people would reject it outright or just not understand the power behind it. But because a good review gives you enough information to make a buying decision, I will tell you that it involves being grateful for things in your life that you would normally resist--negative feelings and negative events--as well as removing limits from what you want. There's much, much more to it, though. The author succeeds in adding something fresh and new into the overcrowded self-help field.

Highly recommended.

UPDATE AFTER 40 DAYS: This was really helpful for me in being able to cultivate a gratitude practice in my life for ALL things, not just the positive. And by this, no I don't mean actually looking forward to negative things happening or being grateful for the negative thing itself, in as much as seeing God's hand in all things. It was daily work and took some discipline, but I would recommend it to everyone. During this time I had a negative medical diagnosis, and it was really helpful to me in having a good outlook. I am very grateful for Melody Beattie and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Miracles in Forty Days, June 24, 2012
I admit I ordered this book because I was already a fan of Melody Beattie. The title made me a little skeptical, but I had learned the wisdom of Melody Beattie was not to be taken lightly. As I read the pages, I kept thinking, "But what's the secret?" "Why would this work?" "Are you kidding me?" "Where are the practical steps?" And then finally, "Is that all there is?" "Where is the REAL message?" And yet I rated the book five stars. Why would I do that? It's a simple reason. I tried it and it worked. I can't explain it. I could give you a long story about how it worked in my life. But my story wouldn't be your story. I can only say it worked 100% for me, way beyond my expectations. I believe if you follow through with the advice and simple activities she suggests it will probably work for you. But like I said I'm a Melody Beattie fan. (No I have never met her, but I've read her books for years). I didn't let my skepticism keep me from trying to follow through on the steps that she suggested. And it worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Beattie books have changed my life, December 24, 2010
This book is wonderful. All of Melody Beattie's books have been instrumental in my recovery from codependency. Her book The Language of Letting Go is her absolute best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working for me!, June 18, 2011
I am on Day 27. Good things are happening. Are they "miracles"? Are they gifts from God? Or have the lists changed me so that I can more easily see the good in things? Who knows, who cares. I just feel good (sometimes even "great" or "awesome"!)and that's what counts. As Melody writes in the book, you get out of this experience what you put into it. If you dismiss her concept of gratitude as "hooey" from the outset without even trying it, or get the "heebie jeebies" from words like "miracle" (as I have read in a couple of comments), then guess what you're going to get out of it?

All I know is that the information in this book has, for me, increased the feeling of gratitude I feel. I am doing the lists with a friend and she feels the same as myself. Our friendship has gotten stronger because of doing this exercise together. I also think that I have become stronger as an individual as well. How? Why? I don't know. Melody talks about why she thinks it works in the book. As for me - well, I just know how I feel and it's pretty good. Let's be realistic, things are still going to happen that I am not going to like, but I know how I view them is forever changed. Thanks Melody!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a shot - what do you have to lose??, January 28, 2012
I admit that when I ordered this book I was skeptical. When I read the book I was even more skeptical and I even considered NOT doing the recommended exercises. But then, how can you say something doesn't work or make sense if you don't actually do it? Instead I choose to follow instructions, check out the online forum and then get started with the daily exercises. It has been an interesting journey that is nearing completion. Things have happened in my life that I had hoped for, but that hadn't happened before this project. It's hard to explain, one just has to go ahead and commit to the 40 days of doing this to understand. I'm giddy and looking forward to doing another round in the future! Thanks Melody for another great book that is changing my life yet again.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent spiritual book, January 31, 2011
Melody Beattie does not disappoint in this wonderfully written book where she shares a lot of her own experiences and shows us how to turn what we
have into what we want and more.
I discovered a deeper spiritual walk after completing this book. I will definitely keep working on my Miracle List past the 40 days - awesome...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth trying, July 16, 2011
I found this quote from the author, Melody Beattie, about gratitude a few years ago and it has sustained me in difficult times: "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."

Her name kept popping up in my reading recently and that lead me to this book. I downloaded it last night and finished it today. It's easy to read, peppered with stories and anecdotes that I found interesting and certainly simple enough to incorporate into my daily ritual which already included expressing gratitude. Now it will be gratitude with a twist that I'd never considered.

It's already given me the courage to ask for the one change in my life that I always believed to be impossible, and to accept that I've seen enough truly amazing miracles happen to realize what I ask for is minor in comparison to most.

I'll update along the way, but today I'm really grateful to have found this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked the book, March 6, 2011
I really liked this book. I can totally get my head around doing the exercises for 40 days. I am going to work with my google calendar and email to set it up for myself. It would be fun to come back and let you know if miracles got created. Stay tuned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Work this book and it will work for you, January 9, 2012
I bought this book in order to attend a workshop at my church. I am still doing the very simple and easy to follow steps outlined in the beginning of the book and they work wonderfully. What this book did for me was to make me be honest with myself about things that bother me that I might otherwise sweep under the rug and try to ignore. By being open and honest with myself about everything that pushes my emotional buttons--positive and negative--I am becoming much more in touch with myself and have been able to let go of problems from the past that I didn't even know were still holding me back. Working these miracles takes self honesty and the rewards are tremendous. Try it for yourself, alone or with a partner, and stick with the process. You will see results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody did it again!, July 12, 2013
Even though the Miracle Project is simple, it requires courage, honesty and willingness. I've tried to love myself for over 50 years and I'm fed up with mind *#%}ing gurus. Melody's project offers a loving way to thoroughly clean house so love can enter. Great stuff.

Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want
Make Miracles in Forty Days: Turning What You Have into What You Want by Melody Beattie (Hardcover - November 30, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.11