4.0 out of 5 stars Once you get past the fluff, a worthwhile program
I've never been a big fan of Dr. Phil, so at first glance this book didn't appeal to me.

Published on August 26, 2006 by Stephen Tobey

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic Exercise Plan - It requires a lot of $$$
Published on June 3, 2006 by Lisa Braswell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic Exercise Plan - It requires a lot of $$$, June 3, 2006
Lisa Braswell (Montecito, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make Over Your Metabolism: 4 Weeks to a Faster Metabolism and a Fitter, Firmer You (Hardcover)
I'm surprised Dr. Phil is on board with this book. Too much time is spent on Indoor Cardio, detailing treadmills, elliptical trainers and stationary bikes. The Appendix has a recommendation of $1,000 to $2,000 for a decent treadmill. It also lists rowing machines, multi-station home gym, ski machines, etc. Is this guy crazy!?! Between a gym membership and the equipment I'd have to buy, I'd spend thousands of dollars! The more affordable equipment ranges from Tubing/exercise bands and stability balls (which you must have for this program if you don't go to a gym daily).

Also, he says the proper weight for a woman is 100 lbs for the first 5 feet, then 5 lbs. +/- for every inch above that. This means I should weigh 90 to 110 lbs. My doctors would have a fit if I weighed that little. I'm a 50 years old woman, and per my Internists' I should not get below 125, which is healthy and realistic, and I'll look great.

The diet is nothing special; it's all common sense. I didn't learn anything new, and it isn't even written in an interesting way. (He says the same things over and over again in every chapter.) Every adult already knows the correct foods to eat, and which to cut out. If you want to know about a specific food, "Google" it.

I don't recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much of a makover, June 28, 2006
I didn't get much out of this book. I found I was already doing all the exercises that he recommends. More than half of the book is giant full-page photos where he demonstrates each exercise. There is very little content. Also, just a couple of chapters in, he recommends this massage roller that he wants you to go to his website to buy. I was very disappointed and gave the book away immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once you get past the fluff, a worthwhile program, August 26, 2006
Stephen Tobey (Malden, MA United States) - See all my reviews

Once I started reading it, however, I saw a good, solid program that was based on real scientific principles and methods that have worked in the real world. The workouts are supposed to be 30 minutes each, not so ridiculously short that they seem too good to be true, but not so long that most average people with careers and families would shy away from them.

The strength training workouts can be done in the home with minimal equipment or in a gym. They're based on multi-joint movements like squats, pulldowns and bench presses that work a lot of muscle at once. In that respect the book's recommendations aren't that much different than what you'll find in Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove's The New Rules of Lifting. The program is not as sophisticated as what you'll find in Schuler and Cosgrove's work, but the basic idea is the same. It's just written for a different audience.

The interval cardio workouts might be best suited for machines, but there are other ways to do them, too. As is the case with the strength training, the idea is to work harder, not longer.

It should go without saying, but it's important to stress that you'll get out of it what you put into it. The workouts aren't long, but to get the most out of them, you need to give them your best effort.

As long as you're willing to work, there's no reason you shouldn't get results.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does work!, July 17, 2006
Sara Arbogast (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased the book in the hope that because Dr Phil recomended it, it should work! Lo and behold - I've been doing the program for three weeks and have allready lost a dress size! It is set out in a way that is easy to follow, and there is even a month long pre set menu at the back, if you need that type of help. Some of the food suggested is a bit un-usual but if you want to you can easily mold it to your preferances and stay within the guide lines! I am loving this! I had completely come to a standstill as far as any improvements in my body were concerned and this method has given me my first weightloss in over a year! ( Not through lack of trying either!!) If you think that a slow metabolism is to blame for your failier to loose weight this is certainly the book for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars No new information, January 20, 2007
Most of it is common sense information. Was good information regarding how to do cardio to get the most efficient calorie burning. Thought the diet was ridiculous. Don't know what half the foods are and not being a fish lover that seems to be all they offer for every dinner. Need a clearer guide to substitutes if you do not like certain foods. You can't eat celery for every meal. The exercises weren't new. I have been going to a gym for 20 years and the information about less weight more reps have been out there for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where did this guy get his research?, October 5, 2006
He writes that doing too much cardio causes hormonal imbalances and will cause you to burn muscle instead of fat. Where is the research to back this up? I have never heard this before. I've heard the opposite ~ that cardio helps regulate hormones and increases endorphins. I'm sure you would start burning muscle after say, a few hours of cardio, but how many people do you know that do hours upon hours of cardio daily?

He claims that all I have to do is exercise three times a week for 30 minutes each session, follow his healthy diet, and I'll lose all the weight I want. Research has proved that you have to exercise a lot more than a mere three days a week to lose weight. He claims that the key is to do intense interval weight training and your body will burn calories even when you're not working out and it's days later. Yes, days. He gives this interval training the name Metabolic Burst Training (that's a gimmick if I ever heard one). All the home equipment that he suggests buying is more than any average person can afford. (You're better off buying the gym membership!)

Shame on Dr. Phil for endorsing these outrageous claims.

4.0 out of 5 stars realistic and applicable, June 29, 2006
I read this and three other books at the same time and they all have some commonalities we've all heard before, eat right, exercise and drink your water what they are all saying that I had not heard before is on top of those three essentials you must also get 8 hours of sleep. Sleep allows our body to rejuvenate and heal itself. They're right I"m feeling better and shedding inches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clear description of metabolism, but....., June 16, 2006
J. Foster (Seattle, WA , USA) - See all my reviews
I liked the clear description of metabolism. However, the Nutritional Life Plan Menus were terrible. For instance, grilled salmon fillet, 1 C. green beans, cucumber slices, water. What???? Ack!

Also, the ideal weight table says for a small-boned woman who is 5'5" she should weigh 113 lbs. What?! I'm 65. I think I weighed 113 lbs in junior high school once. Now I weigh 145 and am trying to lose 10 lbs. I think that would be perfect for me now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Metabolism Review, January 3, 2007
I bought "Make Over Your Metabolism" a few months back. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have spent the money. I knew too much of what was in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Losing weight when you're over 55, July 7, 2007
I'm nearly 60 years old, and I've tried nearly everything to lose weight. It seems to be much harder the older I get. When I stopped smoking 3 years ago, I gained 50 pounds! It's been an uphill battle trying to lose it! I decided to try one more thing, so I bought this book. I have to tell you that if you follow the book, you should definitely lose weight! I have, much to my surprise. I am still very much in the process of losing, but I want you to know that it's working! I have 40 more to lose, but I just started with the book 11 days ago. It's given me hope, and more determination to carry through. Give it a try! What do you have to lose, but weight?!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›