Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Amazon VideoChange
Price:$2.99

on July 24, 2014
I watched this movie in the theater while vacationing for a week in Arizona. LOVED IT SO MUCH that I watched it again before leaving! I couldn't wait to pre-order the DVD, and it arrived right on time. I eagerly sat down to watch it. I have watched the movie several more times now since it arrived.

The dancing in this movie is beyond fantastic. It's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The combination of tap, hip hop and taiko drumming, called COBU, is so novel, I found myself begging for more. I also found myself engrossed by the story line between "Donny", played by handsome and multi-talented Derek Hough of Dancing With the Stars, and "Aya", played by beautiful BoA Kwon, the Korean Queen of Pop.

The DVD is a must have, just for the bonus features alone. The DVD included deleted scenes, some of which I can't understand why they were deleted. They would have added significantly to the story line. The Bonus section also showed scenes from the making of the movie, concentrating on how Derek Hough learned to tap dance in just three months for this movie (kudos to him), and on his dance relationship with his co-star BoA. Prior to this movie, I had never heard of her. She's a singer, but what a dance talent she is!

Overall, I highly recommend this movie. Duane Adler, the screenwriter and director, outdid himself in this flick. Loved it more than his other Step Up movies. Too bad this movie was not promoted properly. It was an independent film with a limited release. Should have been shown all over, in my opinion.
on July 30, 2014
Really good movie if you like dancing and/or you are a fan of Derek Hough. The plot is a little strained, but Derek is a surprisingly good actor. Overall, it was enjoyable.
on July 28, 2014
Justin Chang's review in Variety suggests the movie might have been titled “East-Meets-West Side Story.” Yes, it takes only a few minutes into the movie to recognize the Sharks and Jets.. I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but wanted to see Derek Hough's dancing (always impressive). Then I saw to my surprise that the choreography was by two of my favorite choreographers, Napoleon and Tabitha Dumo. The dance numbers in this movie live up to their reputations and to Hough's. Hough learned tap just for the move (in two months) and as far as I can tell did a very credible job. The taiko drum and dance crew, COBU, is very entertaining. I would have like to have seen more of them. Bottom line: this is a dance movie, not a dramatic tour do force. If you are a SYTYCD or dance crew fan, you should find the movie quite enjoyable.
on July 22, 2014
I am so disappointed I didn't get to see this on the big screen. It wasn't shown in my state. :/ I got my DVD about 9 hours ago and I've already watched it twice. I LOVE IT!!! As a former competition tap dancer I am very impressed with how quick Derek picked up tap dancing. I've been waiting for someone to do a dancing movie with tap in it and this was awesome and bonus!, my favorite professional dancer is the leading man! Woo! I thought his acting was great. He has some really funny, sassy lines that crack me up. Love, love, love it!!!
on July 30, 2014
I love watching Derek Hough on "Dancing With The Stars" so I was thrilled when I found out about this movie. The acting and dancing blends so well together. Even if you really are not that big on tap dancing you can still enjoy this movie. This is definitely a great family film with a great story line.
on July 26, 2014
I enjoy watching this often. Love Derek Hough in this move hope he does more movies, as an actor and or choreographer.
on July 25, 2014
OMG that was an amazing movie and Derek can act!!!!!!
on October 7, 2014
If you have read his book Taking the Lead you will enjoy this movie more. I did not know of his life in London {that is in the book] and it is very interesting with his life in another country & the book will tell you why. It was the first I had seen him tap & that was the icing on the cake. He is amazing and & I wish I were 40 years younger...haha. I keep wondering what more we will get from this young, adorable, blonde , blue eyed young man. Sometimes it is hard to decide what book to buy or DVD to get but I concentrate on the person first & I do not go see a movie because I read the book and rarely will I read the book after I have seen the movie. While, yes, I am being a critic here but I do it as a common person & do not get paid. I am opinionated & outspoken but always honest. Do not ask my oponion unless you want the answer. I will not give you anything but the truth on these reviews...after all it is your money, too. Do it! Get this movie. No it is not an Oscar possibility but I have seen bad acting rewarded and good shunned because I have bee going to the movies & reading books a long time. Good luck!
on October 18, 2014
Serious guilty pleasure here. Is Derek Hough a terrific dancer...he is, is Derek Hough a good actor....he is, is Derek Hough sexy...you bet he is. Having said that, I loved this movie on a lot of levels. I loved all the dance routines (big dance fan) definitely a "romeo & Juliet" or "West Side Story" type of theme and that is okay with me. It gets the job done and it really entertained me. The rest of the cast is wonderful too. They each have a part to paly and they paly them. If you are expected Academy Award caliber...not here. If you want to just have some fun...here it is. Don't ever-examine it.
on September 7, 2014
His acting ability is very good and his dancing, as always, was terrific. But, I was personally, disappointed in the plot of the story. I believe if given a good part and story that he has the making of a very fine actor. Let's give him what he deserves and see where it takes him. Best of luck Dereck. Your book, "Taking the Lead", is absolutly Terrific.