Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 20, 2014
Wow! I've learned to do something that I've wanted to do for a long time - make my own PC boards. I've been an electronics experimenter and radio amateur for decades and never made my own boards. I actually bought a set of chemicals once and did nothing with them. Even with programs like Eagle, I was still unsure, and the instructions were sometimes ambiguous.

So, to me, Dr. Monk has again done what he does so well. He's taken a complex subject and clarified it to the point where an amateur like me feels perfectly comfortable in giving it a try. That's my favorite thing about this book: It's clear step-by-step instructions and illustrations of how to do something new for the first time.

Bottom Line: If you've thought about making your own PC boards and had any hesitancy at all, you can now dive in. Get a copy of this book and go for it!
66 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2014
Eagle is a wonder very powerful program for making electronic schematics and transforming that information into a finished printed circuit board design. Subsequently, that design can be sent to a vendor who specializes in manufacturing the finished PCB. The whole process is much less expensive than producing your own PCB due to the large amount of equipment and expertise required. The problem with Eagle for me in the past is that the documentation that goes with the program is difficult to understand. I was going around in circles for awhile until I read Simon Monk's great new book on the subject. He makes it very simple to use
Eagle, either to make schematics or to make PCB designs. The writing and graphics are wonderfully clear and shed light on the whole process. My questions have been answered and at last I am getting somewhere with Eagle. I recommend the book highly for beginners and advanced users alike.
on June 12, 2014
Simon Monk has written several great books that teach about electrical components, simple circuits, and building your own projects. This new book takes that training to the next level. Chapter one begins with an intro to PCB's and helps you download EAGLE for the operating system of your choice. Dr. Monk then takes you through the entire process of making schematics, board layouts, and Gerber files. He explains each step of the process in detail and leads you through examples that are easy to understand but quite challenging as well. By the end of the book, you will have a very good understanding of the power of the EAGLE program and be able to create your own designs to submit for fabrication through a PCB service.
He finishes the book with an example of an Arduino shield and a Raspberry Pi expansion board. For programmers, he introduces how to use scripts and user language programs with EAGLE. This book is a great resource!
on October 3, 2014
It's ok if your just getting started with Eaglecad (like me). But here's the deal. At first Eaglecad seems pretty intimidating as it's loaded with stuff - easy to get overwhelmed. But once you get going (after a good say 20 hrs with it), it's actually easy to use albeit the user interface is a wonderful case study on how not to design software. In a word just crap, it's obvious the designed have never studied Human Factors, or just ignored them and did their own ungodly mess of an interface, but I digress. Humans are an amazing bunch, even with piss poor user interfaces, we adapt and get with the program.

Now back to the book: it's well written, easily understandable and will definitely get the new person up and running. My only complaint - and it's minor - is that it just doesn't cover in detail other ways of doing tasks, only one way. But like i said in 20 hrs you will need to learn other techniques. For example, Mr. Monk does a nice job of explaining ground pours. However, what if I have a mixed dual layer board with components on both sides of the board. You don't need a PhD in Physics to see the described technique isn't going to work. So, what's the work around? Nice follow up with be "Advanced EagleCad....". I would recommend the book for it's cost clarity of writing, worth a read.
on March 6, 2015
I bought this book along with "Eagle V6" by Mitchell Duncan. You can read my review on that book as it also applies to this book. Basically, Simon Monk's book, along with Eagle V6 by Mitchell Duncan are the only two books you need to learn and use Eagle. Each book separately lacks certain information, but together they include everything you'll need for tutorial and reference purposes.
on August 4, 2014
I own most of Dr. Monk’s books and appreciate his clear writing style and depth. I worked through the bulk of the book over a couple of days after receiving my order and am happy to report that I am now reasonably fluent with Eagle. 20 bucks is a modest price to pay for the many hours I would have lost mucking around on the internet to try to develop a similar level of fluency.

I only have two small quibbles:
1. There seems to be a step missing in the section on importing a new libraries. Unlike the Arduino environment, you evidently need to visit the Library…Use menu for the parts to show up in the schematic view after copying them to the appropriate directory. I assume this may be a change with the newest version of Eagle.

2. Given the highly-detailed information on using Eagle, it would have been nice to have more detail relating to making PCBs at home. I’ve made a few PCBs and would have appreciated following a more detailed walk-through involving the two DIY approaches he discusses in Chapter 6. There are only three sentences devoted to toner transfer and just a couple of paragraphs relating to photo etching. Even a list of vendors and products would be a good start in learning how to do an occasional “one off” at home.

Overall a great book and well worth the modest price if you want to get up to speed with Eagle. Can’t wait to order my first PCBs!
on July 18, 2014
I started reading this book earlier this week and have already been able to design my own professional looking (to me, at least!) printed circuit board. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be and this is going to be a very helpful new skill for me to help with my electronics/robotics hobby. Also, having the PCBs printed is actually very cheap too. The book is full of useful resources about where and how to have them made.
on February 17, 2015
If you want to learn how to design your own printed circuit boards this is the book for you. It teaches the basics and also advanced design techinques. And, you can download the Eagle software for free.
on November 17, 2015
It is Okay. It has a link to example projects which interested me because I wanted to try my hand at making my own pcb. I followed the link to the example projects and followed the books instructions to download the projects but I could only down load the files as html. I'm a little disappointed but I'll soldier on. I have experience with Mentor Graphics and Cadence/Allegro with schematic capture. Just a little short on layout and of course pcb manufacture.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2015
Love this book! Learning a ton from it but beware, appears to be aimed mostly at embedded and microprocessor based project types. Still, plenty for the rest of us but feels like it's aimed at 'arduino' people.