Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2009 9:14:59 AM PST
Shy guy G says:
Usually a book is available on Kindle as soon as its published--after all those of us who paid the money for a Kindle are not likely to pay for a new book and then buy the Kindle version later when it comes out--we just wait for the Kindle version. SO PLEASE DON'T MAKE US WAIT! Especially for this book! I'm beggin' ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 9:51:07 PM PST
Holly J says:
I noticed Harper Collins website offers the new book in an ebook version but I dont know if they offer a Kindle ebook version. The list says: adobe ebook, other, gemstar ebook, microsoft reder, mobipocket, palm reader, and sony.
http://www.harpercollins.com/book/index.aspx?isbn=9780061773594

Posted on Feb 5, 2009 2:13:27 PM PST
Recently, I have been able to preorder some of the new releases. It's rather cool to actually get the book on the day of on my Kindle. But not all of them do it. I think it has to do with the publishers. All we can really do is request it from Amazon. I got Simon R Green's new one the day it came out. And Particia Briggs as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2009 6:48:20 PM PST
Robert Mohns says:
Mobi format is readable on Kindle. But $20 for the e-version from Harper Collins, vs $17 for the hardcover from Amazon? I love my kindle, but not *that* much.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 4:06:39 PM PST
What I don't get is all her other books are available on Kindle but not this one....????

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 9:47:15 AM PST
Shy guy G says:
Maybe they get put in a Kindle format after a period of time. I see from a previous post that the publisher sells books in an eformat. Harper Collins might want to skim off some of the ereader profits before making it available to Amazon.

I am willing to wait and see if it comes out for the Kindle--its so nice not having to deal with cartons of books every six months. I could always change my hobby from reading to cleaning my house and not have the mounds of books--but ITS JUST NOT THE SAME.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 8:15:07 AM PST
Santiago says:
Good news it's now available on Kindle.
Bad news it is $14.29 only about a buck thirty less than the hardcover version.

I have a great love for her books but her publisher is setting the price point too high and leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The NYT best sellers are almost all below ten dollars. I don't see any reason this cannot be priced the same.

Again I'm a big fan of Kim and wear her burning bunny pin daily.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 8:47:18 AM PST
Robert Mohns says:
If it were priced at the same $9.99 as other new releases, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But I can't see any reason to pay as much as hardcover for something that costs the publisher so much less to manufacture and distribute.

I'll wait for the price to drop.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 9:22:45 AM PST
Santiago says:
Her agent is Richard Curtis. I emailed him today about the pricing. Feel free to join me in discussing it with him at rcurtis@curtisagency.com
I love her books and usually order the hardback as soon as it comes out. But when the vast majority of the NYT best sellers are under 10 I think I'll wait until the price drops. I know it's only a few dollars but it just bothers me.

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 4:13:12 PM PST
Santiago says:
I just got a reply from Richard Curtis - Thanks for the quick reply. He sensibly points out that the pricing is set by the publisher not the writer. He also says that it's likely that a lower Kindle price point would cannibalize hardcover sales. Despite what I just said in my previous post, I'm not sure I can hold out waiting until the price drops. Oh well...
I guess I'll get it anyway.
Hold the Tomatoes - Santiago

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 5:20:17 PM PST
You won't be the only one purchasing it! I can't wait even 24 hours for the hardback. I'm hoping amazon will do the preorders for kindle like they do preorders for other books. If the price goes down before the release date, they give you the lower price. But either way . . .I will be reading White Witch, Black Curse Tuesday morning!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2009 8:50:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2009 8:52:13 AM PST
M. Rodriguez says:
Robert, I am in complete agreement. There is no way that I'm paying almost the same price for the ebook as for the hardcover.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 9:03:23 AM PST
Santiago says:
I think that the 999 price is for the NYT bestsellers. Since it is not released yet it cannot be a best seller yet. I don't think there will be any difficulty getting to NYT bestseller status. I will wait until it starts selling and see if the price adjusts down.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 12:10:04 PM PST
E. Byrne says:
What I have found in the past is that if you wait about 24-48 hours the price will come down to $9.99. I didn't do that with the last JD Robb book and the next day is was down to 9.99. It will be painful to wait the extra couple of days but worth saving the money. But on the off chance this one isn't like that I'll just break down and get it this weekend.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 1:50:34 PM PST
Santiago says:
I just heard back from her publisher. See her complete email below.

Drew,

That question would best be answered by Amazon rather than us. Good luck.

Thanks,
Daria

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 6:54:18 AM PST
Terri Harris says:
I'm with you guys on waiting until the price comes down. No way I am buying this at $14 bucks. I will either pick up the audio on audible or just not get it. Thankfully, while I really like this series it is not one of my MUST haves, so I can definitely leave it if it comes to that.

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 7:15:20 AM PST
gayle brown says:
I'm going to try to wait until the price drops to below 10 dollars. I will just reread all the hardback copies until ....oh who am I kidding. That's why I ordered the kindle, because i didn't wait for our slower than a snail ups delivery.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 9:20:04 AM PST
Shy guy G says:
I imagine there is a tug of war over publishers adding layers of charges onto the ebooks. They had better beware, because I can see a day when an established author negotiates directly with edistributors and leaves traditional publishers in the dust. I understand from discussions with authors that the savings the publishers reap from not having to ACTUALLY PRINT A BOOK TO SELL IT, all goes to the publisher and not the authors. I cannot see that continuing forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2009 12:37:03 PM PST
Moxasaurus says:
Me, too. We should boycott fiction over $9.99.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 12:36:41 PM PST
LynnL says:
I'm not boycotting -- I'll take each case as it comes, but here, I'm not buying until it drops to $9.99. It's absurd to expect people to pay nearly the same price as a hardcover.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 1:04:39 PM PST
B. Blanton says:
Order it from the Public library. That's what I do when the a book I want is over 9.95 or I just have to have it for a long trip. Occasionally, I just get the hard cover, treat it gingerly and give it to someone I know really wants to read it. However, I buy it at Sams or another discount places where the prices are usually below Amazon's prices....or get it at our half price books store in the area.

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 9:50:03 AM PST
LynnL says:
Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't want to get it from the library :) I want to own it for my Kindle -- I just don't feel that I should have to pay hardcover prices for a digital copy.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 1:51:42 PM PST
E. Byrne says:
I checked it today and the price is now $9.99. I was off by a few days but I am glad to see that the price has come down to Kindle friendly pricing. From what I have seen when this happened for a JD Robb book this shouldn't happen again. :o) Great work everyone getting your voices heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 3:10:51 PM PST
Robert Mohns says:
Byrne, thanks for the heads up! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 3:36:48 PM PST
E. Byrne says:
Sure, glad I could help! :o) I bought it today :o)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Feb 2, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
White Witch, Black Curse
White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison (Paperback - May 1, 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (342)