I have always liked cryptogram puzzles and this seems to be a very good app for playing them.
Pros:
- Lots of categories, not just quotes. You can solve names, book titles, passages from Shakespeare, etc.
- Works without internet connection. You can play it in the car, on the bus/train ride to work, camping, etc.
- Four levels to choose from. The first two show letters are red (incorrect) or green (correct) as you enter them in the puzzle. The higher two levels just show black on white until you "Check" to see if you're on track. (And "Check"ing costs points.)
- You get points for entering a correct letter and lose points for incorrect letters.

Neutral:
- The network permissions are for Amazon analytics and game circle. I wish they weren't there, but they're mostly harmless.
- The scoring system seems superfluous because there doesn't seem to be a way to do a puzzle, get a score, then compare it to someone else's score on the same puzzle. Maybe I'm just missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to solve a puzzle then have the same puzzle for someone else to solve so you can compare scores.

Cons:
- I found some new code in this one, something I've never seen before. It looks to me like this is a new (or maybe just new to me) way for app developers to set up logging into Amazon for in-app purchases. This app doesn't have any IAPs (so far.......), so I'm not sure if it does something other than how I'm reading it, or if the dev is planning on adding IAPs somewhere down the road.
- There is a "Quit" button, but the app does not exit cleanly. Checking five minutes after exiting the app, there are still 41 active threads taking up 33 MB. (Confirmed twice.) When there's a "Quit" or "Exit" button, there's no excuse for the app to have anything left in active memory.

As today's FAOTD, I recommend this app for everyone. When it costs ninety-nine cents, I'd recommend it for fans of cryptograms. Hopefully the developer will fix the "doesn't-really-quit" issue.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 11, 2015
Cryptogram Puzzles is a simple code breaker game in which letters of the alphabet are scrambled. Your task, as an Alan Turing wannabe, is to find out which letter represents which.

On your first run, you will be greeted with a EULA (End User License Agreement), the release notes for the latest version, and then some instructions. It is not often we find apps & games that do this, but I welcome such a move and don't find them intrusive. You will not be bothered by them on subsequent runs. On the main screen, you can set the background theme, the difficulty level, the type of quote/proverb to use, etc., or simply press 'New Puzzle' to play. The games are not timed, but the app does keep score and, not only is it difficult to achieve a perfect score, but it's equally hard to get a positive score! A negative score will be added every time you entered an incorrect guess, or when you used a hint, so you really have to think before entering anything. (I did get a perfect score for a proverb because it had a lot of 'the's & 'is's but I don't think I can repeat that feat often.) Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off scoring, so you'll just have to ignore it. If you want to quit during a game but want to save your progress for resuming later on, the game supports saving it. When you have completed a game, however, you will not find a convenient "New Puzzle" option; instead, you'll have to go back to the main menu and select 'New Puzzle' from there.

The difficulty levels - as far as I could see - differ in the amount of feedback the game gives you. For instance, 'Low Difficulty' will indicate whether your entered letter is correct or not in real time, but 'Expert' difficulty will not - and you would have to press 'Check' manually to see if your answer is correct.

In the main screen, you have the option to enter a 'Custom Message' and the game will encrypt it for you. You can then pass your device to a friend or family member for them to solve. Therefore, you are not restricted to the phrases chosen by the developer, and that for me is a nice touch. I just wish the game would allow us to save our own messages for re-use.

This game can be considered to be free from malware. There are the usual Amazon stuff, and I believe its Internet Access Permission is primarily used for Amazon Insight, but the game runs fine offline. There is also a Quit button, but which did not perform a clean exit during my testing. It was still using the CPU intermittently although - to be fair - not much. Still, if the developer is reading this, I hope you will fix it in an update. I suspect something to do with saving the game's data on KitKat but don't quote me on that.

All in all, despite the minor quibbles that I've mentioned, the game is still good value for a dollar, and deserves 5 stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 11, 2015
I have been playing cryptogram puzzles for years and used to buy books of them made by Dell. I really wanted to like this game, and it is okay except I was very surprised that many of the quotes are not correct. I played the Mark Twain section, and three out of four puzzles I solved were misquoted. It seems like they were translated from another language. I don't know if the other quote sections are like this, but it is off-putting, especially when some of them are very well known - example: truth is stranger than fiction. Otherwise, the game is enjoyable, but honestly I lost interest, it's like reading a book and finding typos.
on April 11, 2012
Love the crytpgrams the only beef I have with this game is the keyboard selections cover the quotes, or whatever after inserting your letter so there is a lot of back and forth.
on January 11, 2012
This is a fun game to play on your kindle-Fire. I'd been searching for something like it for a while. I recommend it to anyone who likes puzzle games.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 4, 2013
Easy to use and fun to figure. 3 levels of difficulty are present. There are also several categories(Shakespeare,Proverbs,Quotes e.g.)
from which to choose. Points are awarded and you can also work against a timer. I've played about 50 times and have not had a repeat so far. I play on a Kindle Fire and highly recommend this game if you enjoy breaking codes like Cryptograms.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The game opens up with a warning that you can use the app worldwide but the copyright ownership belongs to the developer. You have to select OK

You can set the app difficulty to Low, Medium, High and Expert. You can select from one of 30 categories to play. Items like Random Quotes, American Authors, Book Titles or quotes for many famous people are available.

You can also enter a custom message that will be encrypted and then you hand your talbet to another person to solve. The game is like a standard Cryptogram that I used to play in the newspaper every day. On the easier levels you know immediately if you are on the right track as correct entries turn green and incorrect ones turn red. Your score is also tallied as you play the game.

It is not easy but it is a good app if you love cryptograms. I can tell you that with the broad category of quotes for example the easy level was a good place for me to start. Since I enjoy this type of mind teasers I rated this as a 5 star app.

Permissions:
* Full Network Access
* View Network connections

The app contains Amazon Insights which is an Analytics program that can track your in game activities and progress. It can also be used to monitor app programming issues.

The app contains no adware or malware and it is safe to download.

The app installed 8.53MB into my device memory. I manually moved it to my SD card and it left 1.08MB in my device memory and installed 9.25MB onto my SD card memory.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon June 11, 2015
Cryptograms can train the brain to overcome many real world puzzles: technical product instructions written in Manglish (Mandarin to English), ordering from a menu in S. Florida (Spanish to English), or deciphering if your doctor prescribed Prozac refills or a Prostate exam (Martian to English).

Not quite the perfect cryptogram game; I did come across a couple misquotes as noticed by another reviewer, and on occasion of a very long cryptogram, the soft-keyboard becomes an obstacle in itself, especially if you have one of those with all manner of extra character lines or emoji. A scroll bar would be highly recommended. Yet it is cleanly done and certainly has very good gameplay value for the normal price. I played on a 5.5" smartphone, and didn't have to grab the reading glasses.

Amazon Licensing, Amazon GameCircle & Insights, and Amazon Login is the only code, and the Network Access is what makes the Amazon suite go. Not a particularly big game at approx. 12MB (including data), but I moved it to my SD card, leaving a mere 1.08MB on my Device Memory. Runs OFFLINE, and the back-key prompts a Quit/Save & Quit popup - removes it from Active Tasks immediately, and a Running Process remains for perhaps a minute before being cleared out.
on April 20, 2013
The rotation is good, the challenge level is reasonably accurate. My only complaint is that the cursor doesn't automatically move when you enter a letter. But that's not necessarily a bad thing -- just a teensy hassle when you have to tap again to move on.
on June 11, 2015
Reviews on this looked promising. And there are instructions on the mechanics of playing this particular game. But there are NO instructions on how to actually solve a cryptogram. I'm sure there are strategies that would help, as there usually are in logic puzzles, but I wasn't successful in discovering any nifty approaches other than random guessing. And the game gives you a hefty penalty for guessing wrong. Guess I need to say it here again: Developers, if you want your game to appeal to the broadest audience, then give every player a chance to play!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...