Most helpful positive review
33 of 36 people found the following review helpful
Nice cryptogram app. Works offline, but does have a bit of code that concerns me. Very good FAOTD.
on June 11, 2015
I have always liked cryptogram puzzles and this seems to be a very good app for playing them.
- Lots of categories, not just quotes. You can solve names, book titles, passages from Shakespeare, etc.
- Works without internet connection. You can play it in the car, on the bus/train ride to work, camping, etc.
- Four levels to choose from. The first two show letters are red (incorrect) or green (correct) as you enter them in the puzzle. The higher two levels just show black on white until you "Check" to see if you're on track. (And "Check"ing costs points.)
- You get points for entering a correct letter and lose points for incorrect letters.
- The network permissions are for Amazon analytics and game circle. I wish they weren't there, but they're mostly harmless.
- The scoring system seems superfluous because there doesn't seem to be a way to do a puzzle, get a score, then compare it to someone else's score on the same puzzle. Maybe I'm just missing it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to solve a puzzle then have the same puzzle for someone else to solve so you can compare scores.
- I found some new code in this one, something I've never seen before. It looks to me like this is a new (or maybe just new to me) way for app developers to set up logging into Amazon for in-app purchases. This app doesn't have any IAPs (so far.......), so I'm not sure if it does something other than how I'm reading it, or if the dev is planning on adding IAPs somewhere down the road.
- There is a "Quit" button, but the app does not exit cleanly. Checking five minutes after exiting the app, there are still 41 active threads taking up 33 MB. (Confirmed twice.) When there's a "Quit" or "Exit" button, there's no excuse for the app to have anything left in active memory.
As today's FAOTD, I recommend this app for everyone. When it costs ninety-nine cents, I'd recommend it for fans of cryptograms. Hopefully the developer will fix the "doesn't-really-quit" issue.