Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 3, 2007
If your child is interested in science, they will enjoy this book. It combines colorful drawings with actual photographs to explane the earth's rotation in a simple, understandable way. It is also a part of the Harcourt reading series for second grade, and a wonderful addition to your home library.
on December 30, 2007
My five-year-old grandson likes this book and my two-year old granddaughter looks along. Answers some of his gazillion questions in a manageable way.
on July 1, 2008
The concept of day and night is discussed in grades 2 and 3. This book is a great supplemental text to help increase children's understanding of this concept. Great text and pictures.
on July 11, 2012
While I agree about the clarity and coverage cited by the other reviewers, I take issue with the book's age recommendation of "5 and over". My grandson is 7 and finds this book much to basic. It was still nice, but I think the age recommendation should be 4-6 in my opinion.
on December 3, 2012
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his non-fiction reader.

This book is still in print but has been completely revised and is not the same as the old edition we have here. A simple, easy-to-read introduction to the earth's shape and how it revolves to create night and day, sunsets and sunrises. An experiment with a lamp is used to further illustrate the process. This book was fairly easy for ds to read and gave him a chance to practice reading using a conversational voice. He also knew the information and it caused him to initiate dialogue to expand upon the basic observations and impart his own knowledge. I love this series of books; they are excellent easy readers in the science field and Branley is a good, interesting writer of non-fiction material. Branley was the originator of the series.
on November 1, 2012
I am a homeschooling mother of two and constantly looking for educational material. At the time I purchased "What makes Day and Night" my daughter was in grade 2 and I needed a book with good information, high quality illustrations and photo's and also a book that she could enjoy by herself. I came to love the "Let's read and find out Science" books, they coincide well with the school curriculum and they are much more fun than prescribed school books. "What Makes Day and Night" is no exception, we read the book over and over, it never fails to impress and amaze. Needless to say it is not the only "Let's read and find out Science" book in our library.
on May 29, 2012
This was a bit over the head of my three year old, but he's been asking about night and day, so we needed something. Despite being for a little bit older crowd, he was pretty interested in it, and sat through the whole book. We talked about the pictures of the earth, how it spins, etc. I think at least some of the ideas rubbed off on him. Great book, looking forward to reading more of them from the series!
on July 23, 2011
I bought this book for my nephew. He loves it! It gives enough information that the child learns new things but not so much that he can't understand. He's four and he's asking lots of questions. We've actually purchased a number of books from the "Let's read and find out Science 2" series and they all provide lots of information. His mom says that she even learns new things from them.

A great value and an asset to any child's library.
on December 3, 2013
I used this book to help teach a student with Autism about the rotation of the sun. This book did and excellent job of explaining how the rotation of the earth creates both day and night. This book, as well as other books that belong to this series (e.g. Energy Makes Things Happen (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2) by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley) would be a great addition to any home or classroom.
on June 24, 2013
I really like the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out science books. They are great at explaining all sorts of basic science concepts to little children. Lots of illustrations with good information. I use these books to supplement and enhance our homeschool science curriculum for my two boys. They love them and sometimes ask me to read them at story time too. They are worth every penny for your home library. Great resource!