4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Artistic book
Published on February 12, 2011 by The Mariners Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, in a sense.
Look at that cover. Look at the description. I ordered this expecting to get "Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks"

Published on May 11, 2011 by Nicole

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Artistic book, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Makeup Is Art: Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks (Hardcover)
Let me just start of by saying Amazon's shipping is amazing, less than $10 I received same day shipping. Took less than 6 hours to get to my doorstep! But now the book, I've been stalking it for quite some time now and it has definitely delivered. Very thick, sturdy hardback book with a slip cover on top, perfect for a coffee table book. It does begin by going over quick skin care tips, gave great info but nothing you wouldn't see in another makeup/beauty book. Then it dives right into the face, and the face structure, foundation, primers, etc...giving quick yet detailed information.

Starting off with the eyes, and different textures of eyeshadow, eyeliners, and lashes. There is a quick page on the standard smokey eye look, which is quite pretty, followed by a few pages of eye looks and quick instruction on how to apply. If you're looking for a book which is going to give you very detailed information, this is not the book. Most of the information requires an immediate knowledge of makeup, makeup products and how to apply them.

Next lips, they go over three lip looks, basic but statement lips. From there, they do have a small section on period (decade) looks, they were for the most part okay. For the rest of the book, they do go over a red carpet look, working with musicians and actresses/actors, editorial and advertising. But all very briefly, like maybe 2 pages with one of those pages being a photo. Near the end of the book is where it really gets into very colorful, adventurous, and edgy makeup, including body art. A very nice surprise was getting to the end of the book where not only did they do a Q and A of getting into the make up artistry business but also what to do and expect at fashion shows (backstage and catwalk).

Now the 4 stars simply comes from the lack of diversity in the book, about half way through I realized there were practically no darker toned women, or minorities for that matter, in the book. That to me is an issue and it bugged me to not see people who look like me, especially when i know there are tons of asian and black models in the industry. I do wish there was more information on the photos themselves, maybe quick tips or something, rather than 5 pages of photos in a row to take up space. Other than that I enjoyed the book and it was definitely worth the wait, and a must have for any makeup lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For The Aspiring Makeup-Artist, February 6, 2011
I pre-ordered this book and got it two days earlier than was estimated, in case anyone is wondering what Amazon shipping is like, A+.

Now, I will admit that I'm only 16 but, I take my dream of being a make-up artist seriously. I have to say that I've gotten a lot of people who doubt my opinion because I'm young but, I've wanted to be a make-up artist since I was very young and I would have to say I'm as good as most of the "beauty gurus" on YouTube, if not better.

Anyways, This book is just what it says it is - Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks - and more. In the back of the book, there are tips on being a good make-up assistant and backstage etiquette. Obviously, the book is targeted toward the aspiring make-up artist but, I feel like anyone who just enjoys looking at beautiful pictures would also enjoy this book.

I have to say, the only thing that I was disappointed in was the 1950's look that was portrayed. I was quite pleased that they didn't try to do the signature Marilyn Monroe look and instead tried a mix of Classic Barbie meets Lucille Ball but, the lips were just over-exaggerated. I do know that the pin-up look involved a bigger top lip but, not to that extent. It was the only look that was too comical for me.

In a nut shell, this book is bomb. It beats all of the other make-up books I own because it's not just for women who want to learn how to put on their own make-up better. It's definitely more for the people interested in ARTISTIC makeup. 5/5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, in a sense., May 11, 2011
Nicole "Nicole" (New York, United States) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately, most of this book, like most makeup books, is mindlessly devoted to covering the basics. I dont need a description of every basic, when I'm ordering a book based on a description and cover that would allude that it would be professional techniques, perhaps, even as described, i would learn a "range of inventive looks using specialist techniques-from retro styles and Lady Gaga-inspired designs to underwater makeup and body painting."

And the book does cover that. About a page for each, and the interesting part of the book that I expected the whole book to be, barely covers a quarter of it. Most of the book is just big pictures, and limited relevant content.

it's a lovely coffee table book, great for a beginner, but why sucker me in with a beautiful bejeweled face and touting original looks? I don't need the basics and fundamentals.

there are gems tucked in the middle of paragraphs that really are helpful for budding makeup artists, but I expected a wider range of high end ART techniques.

if you want to learn how to do makeup in a high end sense, you are MUCH MUCH better off buying Kevyn Aucoin's Face Forward and Making Faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars You wont be Disappointed!, February 25, 2011
I reluctantly purchased this book after reading the only review at the time. I am here to honestly say that I am EXTREMELY pleased with my purchase. I have many makeup books but this one easily tops them by far (yes, I know...you've heard this before) but I don't have money to waste and I take my purchases very seriously. The book (all 220 pages) is filled with amazing images that would spark anyone's creativity. The text describes the many focus issues regarding makeup...The Face, The Eyes, Eyebrows, Eyeshadow textures etc. It explains ways in which to apply these concepts on your client and provides great tips for working in the industry. Although the book assumes the reader is a makeup artist, it is a book that any makeup lover would enjoy. The book also has sections that focus on things such as: Period Looks, Editorial, Conceptual looks and so on. I honestly think that this book is worth more then the $20 in which I paid for it...It's worth more for the pictures alone. This book should be a staple for every makeup artist and anyone who has the love for makeup in its most creative form for that matter. Don't hesitate like I did...buy! You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and Educational, August 8, 2011
I've been stalking this book. I read a review that suggested that this book works great as a general coffee table art book and I was charmed enough to consider purchasing it.

Still, my budget pointed out that the book was just a wee bit pricey to buy on an artistic whim so I waited, and waited - and waited - until it finally went on sale and then I pounced.

It was totally worth the wait.

First, the original review I read was spot on. This definitely is an awesome art book. It's well made, with huge glossy fantastic shots of the models and their super creative makeup. And yup, all my visitors take notice of it and can't resist thumbing through.

Second, if you actually are inspired to put this makeup on yourself (guilty) or you want to put makeup on others (not guilty) then this book will actually give you a really professional guide on how to emulate what you see on the page complete with loads of industry tips and career artist know-how.

All in all, it's a really beautiful guide to makeup and all the looks - including the crazy runway ones - elicit some fun reactions.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE!!, September 14, 2011
I love this book! It is absolutely fantastic. Even for a experienced person like myself I found some useful stuff. The photos are incredable as well. I highly recomend to any one who loves make up

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, March 3, 2013
I am a beauty & fashion photographer and retoucher. A friend, one of top ten fashion Makeup Artists of Russia, showed it to me last time I visited. I got back home and had to get one for myself. Loved the book so much, that I had to get another one for my local Makeup Artist too. We both often reference to this book now. Great one, love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/5 for what's on the market, February 4, 2013
The pictures are amazing;if you're looking for inspiration or avant-garde/high fashion ideas then get this! However, if you want detailed, step by step instructions this isn't for you.They give you a general sense of what you're supposed to do, or buy for each specific look , but if you were to follow the instructions to a T you certainly wouldn't obtain the image you see on paper. Hope this clarifies things for people on the fence. I would NOT take this back, but if I were just starting out and had little experiences I wouldn't find myself confused and overwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 26, 2012
As a makeup artist, I am always trying to find books to brush up on my skills and learn new things. This book is amazing. Any artist should own it.!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014
love it

Makeup Is Art: Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks
Makeup Is Art: Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks by Jana Ririnui (Hardcover - February 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $16.99