Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 10, 2010
My husband and I tried for years to get pregnant on our own without success. Finally, we turned to traditional (Western) fertility treatments. I was diagnosed with high FSH and my husband also had borderline low sperm count. We were told we would likely never achieve pregnancy "on our own." We were fortunate enough to get pregnant on our first round of IVF, and I was pregnant with fraternal twins. I gave birth at 31 weeks. My daughter was a stillborn and my son was a preemie and was in the NICU for five weeks. I don't regret anything I went through to have my son, but the experience was traumatic and I wish someone had told me all the risks before the IVF.

We tried for a second baby at the beginning of this year, again using IVF. This time it failed, and the doctor had no real explanation why. At that point, I decided to look for alternative advice before doing another IVF and that's when I found the Making Babies program. I fully intended to use the program to prepare my body for another IVF in 6-9 months. Imagine my surprise when I was pregnant at the end of three months!

I am now 20 weeks (having a girl!) and am recommending the book to everyone I know. It was very easy to understand and follow--and I had never done anything like this before. Following their advice, I felt better than I had in years, and I found that I LOVED doing acupuncture; I have continued it through my entire pregnancy because it has been so beneficial.

The book is at least worth a read--and you might end up saving thousands of dollars in the process. Thank you to Drs. David and Blakeway--you have changed my life!

*I just wanted to add an update: I had a healthy, full-term (a 41-weeker!) baby girl. No complications, no NICU, just a healthy baby and a happy momma. Thank you Making Babies!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2009
Everyone raves about the Infertility Cure. I read the Infertility Cure then Making Babies back-to-back and thought Making Babies was a far superior book. It is easier to follow and understand and provides more knowledge on dietary and lifestyle changes to support fertility. The authors also email you back within 30 minutes if you submit a question!!!
on March 19, 2013
I purchased this book back in September and immediately put it to use. Now a few things:

1. There's a chance you could be a combination of two types.

2. This book is not a miracle pill. Don't treat it as such.

3. It may take more than three months to get pregnant, even if you follow everything to the tee.

Due to my type - Stuck and Tired - I immediately went on a lifestyle change - I consume mostly fruits and veggies, drink lots of water, and exercise daily. I massaged my stomach on a nightly basis and took Milk Thistle to help clean out my liver. Doing all of that, with the combination of charting, acupuncture, and a lot of sex, I am currently pregnant with my miracle baby. However, it didn't take three months; it took more like six months.

I'm saying this to be realistic. It was a great informative book and I probably would not have tried acupuncture if the book didn't recommend it specifically for my type. But when one reads this book, they have to be realistic. Some women are fortunate enough to get pregnant within the three-month time-frame while others like me, it took a little longer. It doesn't mean the book is bad or over-hyped; it just means it's not a cure-all for everyone.

I still recommend this book just for the knowledge. I can't say whether this book alone helped me get pregnant but I will say it was an instrumental factor.
on September 17, 2010
Okay, Ladies. I've been told by local IVF doctors in Orlando that I needed a donor egg because I'd never conceive. Well, one day my dad was watching CNN and saw Dr. Sami David (who is a former IVF doctor) on TV talking about how many women can get pregnant naturally, but may need a few clever ways to achieve that in a cycle. For example, if your cervical mucus is thick and not very friendly for sperm, then take 600 mg of Mucinex twice a day around CD 10 - 13 (if you ovulate around days 12 or 13). This helps loosen the mucous to allow a friendlier environment. Or use a little Pre-Seed (Pre-Seed Personal Lubricant - Multi-use Tube) instead of any other lubricant. And the list goes on...

I travelled from Orlando to New York City to meet with both doctors that wrote this incredible book (you can also do a phone consultation along with medical records). Jill Blakeway is an acupuncturist who certainly knows her stuff. With the help of following this book, and understanding my body type and what it needed to create an environment that was perfect for conception, my husband and I were able to conceive NATURALLY within 2 cycles. I started following the book the first week of June, and by mid July, I had a positive blood pregnancy test of 136 on 11 DPO. Mind you, I have a slew of issues: my immune system, lack of progesterone and luteal phase defect, all which are discussed in the book along with many, many other issues. Because of these solved problems, I was able to conceive.

The most important thing for me was conceiving naturally and having both DR. DAVID AND JILL BE SO INCREDIBLY POSITIVE about our wanting to conceive a child. No nay-saying with these doctors. In addition, they are very KIND, KNOWLEDGEABLE, COMPETENT, AND CARING. The book was our bible to conceiving naturally. I highly, highly recommend this book and doctors. It's certainly worth it!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2011
I bought this book after a miscarriage. I am 46 years old, and felt my chances of getting pregnant again naturally were slim, especially since my husband is 54. But, not willing to give up without a fight I tried to follow the suggestions that were very well laid out in this book. 4 months to the day after my D&C I got a positive! I would recommend this book to anyone that thinks they can't conceive. The many personal experiences were inspiring and kept us going through the hard times. I wish everyone out there that is trying to get pregnant success.
on August 22, 2009
This is a great resource for any wannabe parents. Among other things it has a long list of suggestions on everything from when to have intercourse, to what foods to eat, even some interesting points on what supplements to take. It also confirms something really important I learned at a workshop given by Julia Indichova, which is that going for the big guns of IVF, before we really understand what's going on with us, can do more harm than good. (Julia's book The Fertile Female is another great book I highly recommend) I also like the idea of a three month plan. The authors are suggesting that you should see some real changes and results in three months and if you don't it's time to move on. I spent years doing acupuncture and a year and a half doing medical treatment and stayed with it out of desperation not because I was seeing positive changes. It was not until I stopped all of that and really started to do my own reading and research that I started getting on the right track that led to our beautiful, healthy, conceived the old fashioned way baby girl. Now we are hoping for baby number two.
on January 9, 2012
Wow this book really work. I didn't follow 100% the advice but tried to follow what my type was recommended,my husband tried to follow too and exercise everyday alternating between yoga and walking. I got pregnant after 4 months of used. Very happy with the result. I started to note the improvement in my cycle after a month and 3 months later I was pregnant! After a year a 5 months TTC; this book is great!
*i have to add I lost the baby but still got pregnant, would recommend this book time and time again
on December 22, 2011
We have been TTC for 2 years and 3 months. I was very familiar with the book, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and that book really helped me understand my cycles especially since I have long (albeit regular) 39 day cycles. Unfortunately, longer cycles can easily throw doctors off making them think something could be wrong with you ....but TCOYF gave me hope and helped me understand my body. The fact that I did indeed ovulate had been confirmed with a blood test (I ovulate around CD 26 which is normal for 39 day cycles) so I remained strong (and patient) and didn't go on clomid after my OB recommended it multiple times. I wish doctors wouldn't jump to interventions and aggressive treatment. I know they want results for people, which is great but natural is better for everyone so I urge you to give this a try for 3 months.

After the first year of trying, I started temping and using OPKs. After two years, I bought this book and "The Infertility Cure". I definitely recommend both books but if you have to pick only one book - "Making Babies" should be it! It is phenomenal and extremely helpful! I had hope again to become pregnant naturally....and it happened within the 3 month timeframe!!

After 2 cycles following the suggestions in this book (I was diagnosed as "tired" and "stuck" and followed those suggestions) as well as getting an official diagnosis from an acupuncturist (it was consistent with my diagnosis from the book), getting acupuncture twice weekly for 2 cycles and taking herbs prescribed by the acupuncturist (plus prenatals and DHA) for 2 cycles. I also saw a chiropractor twice weekly during the 2nd cycle. The month we conceived, I used no other vitamins (vitex/chasteberry threw off my cycle) or preseed or mucinex or pineapple, etc.

I made many changes to my diet. It's amazing how problematic the American lifestyle and diet must be! I tried to get back to basics and ate only whole, real foods. No caffeine except green tea every now and then, all organic foods, much less dairy, upped my veggie intake, no alcohol, etc. I followed Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" plan in accordance with the recommendations from my acupuncturist and this book. I had some very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms at first after cutting caffeine, artificial sweetener and dairy but felt great after. Also, the book recommends those diagnosed as "tired" to eat warm meals (yay! no more salads!). My body seemed to LOVE this and just started working better. I started exercising more. I am about 40 lbs overweight. I lost a little weight on this plan but am pregnant now and will try to lose again after the baby. The book mentions it can take twice as long to conceive when you're overweight which makes sense. Also interesting, we conceived 5 days after my positive OPK....ladies, make sure you BD long enough after you get your positive OPK! We usually only BD'd for 2 days after OPK....wonder if this also helped make a big difference?

I am now 10 weeks pregnant... and overjoyed and elated!!! I think this book and the acupuncture/chiropractic definitely made a difference although all the glory goes to God! We visited a reproductive endocrinologist to go ahead and start the process of diagnosis, potential treatment etc. and then conceived on our own three days after visiting the Dr!! It was always our goal to remain patient, pray and hopefully conceive naturally (or at least the most natural path possible as described in the book). We are so grateful!! And I'm very thankful that this book got my body in better shape. I feel more confident about carrying this baby now and am trying to keep eating healthy, whole foods and exercising, etc. I've had no caffeine and am thankful I cut this out prior to conceiving.

I wish I had read this book at the start of my TTC journey!

My husband is 30 years old, and I am 29 years old. This book mentions starting to try earlier as a suggestion if at all possible. The younger you are, the more fertile. We were married at 25 and sometimes I wish we had started earlier although I am grateful for the path God has us on and thankful for how He has worked in our life and increased our faith and trust in Him throughout this process. This book is great.....but prayer helped the most!! :) Good luck and God bless!!!
on October 3, 2010
I highly recommend this book. After a year and a half of trying and a few months working with an infertility specialist, I ended up trying some of the suggestions in this book. A couple weeks later and I am pregnant! I owe it to this book.
on August 29, 2012
My husband and I tried for two years to concieve before seeking treatment from a fertility clinic. They were not able to pinpoint any reason for our infertility and the treatments were expensive and ineffective. I started reading this book and the advice about stressing myself out really hit home. I had only read the first few chapters and suddenly we were pregnant. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks with our first pregnancy, but was able to concieve again after only two cycles by following the advice in the book. I'm 31 weeks today. :)

I highly recommend this book to anyone at any point in the fertility journey, whether kids are a passing thought or you are seeking treatment from specialists. I found it by happy accident, but have since met several people who have successfully conceived using the advice in this book. Eating according to my fertility type has also made a huge difference my hunger levels, weight loss, and ability to stick to my diet and exercise routine. It's truely a wonderful resource.

As a side note, I also found some of the fertility hypnosis and subliminal message downloads at AmazonMP3 very useful to help keep my stress levels down. I listened to them on my lunch break and when sleeping at night. Subliminal Fertility Aid