‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny and then some!, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Making College Count: A Real World Look at How to Succeed in and After College (Paperback)
I recently purchased Pat's book for my college freshman son. I was planning on sticking it in his stocking for Christmas, but gave it to him early after we got in a long conversation about his future. He told me he didn't want to read it right away (he needed a break from "work" after finals), but I brought it along to an appointment we were waiting for and asked him to at least read the "So Who is This Guy?" section. Once he read about Pat, realized it was an easy and entertaining read, he was hooked! He stayed up and finished the book that night. It immediately made a difference in the way he is thinking about his college experience and his future. Even though he's a very good student, he knows now that a job isn't going to magically fall into his lap after college unless he takes some steps to make himself more marketable. He told me the book was filled with a lot of common sense things he already knew, but Pat put them all together in a way that made so much sense and caused him to want to take action. I'm relieved because I no longer feel the need to "nag" him about doing well and getting into activities and holding leadership positions. He's taking the lead because he took Pat's advice to heart. I'm telling all my friends about this book and it's going to be my "Go To" high school graduation gift from here on out! EVERY graduate will benefit from it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me set my goals, February 21, 2011
I started reading this book my second semester of my freshman year in college. I had gotten a good start into college, but hadn't thought much about my future or what my goals were. This book really hit me hard when I started reading it. I didn't fully understand how important even your freshman year in college was. Now that I have read the book, I have started setting goals for myself and I will strive to be the best student that I can be throughout the remainder of my college career. Pat gives great advice on how to find a college, how to get started, what you should do in college to get to the top, and how to set yourself up for success in your future career. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is preparing for college and college students themselves. It is very helpful, easy to read, and gets right to the point. It helps having someone to tell you what to expect, especially when it comes to college which is arguably one of the most critical times in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must" read for any senior graduating from HS, December 1, 2010
I recently read Pat's book and I am so impressed with all of his "down to earth" advice for any person entering college. He gives college kids realistic things they can do to be successful in college and in life. I am a teacher and think that any child graduating from HS should read this book. I recently purchased it for my son who is a freshmen in college right now and hope that it will help him manage his time better. Maybe if I would have bought it before he actually went to college, he would be doing better right now. I will share Pat's book with anyone I know that is going to college for the first time from now on!!!! Much better gift than money that will just be wasted on college expenses if they don't know what to do when they get there!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must read" for your kids.... And YOU, September 5, 2010
For less than the cost of a book backpack, this book contains the information that will change your collage student's life. I gave the first edition of this book to my two older kids and just gave the 2nd edition to my freshman in High School. My Son, a Graduate of Hillsdale College in Michigan, told me this book was vital to his success in college. The second edition is even better than the first, which in itself is surprising, as I thought the first book was incredible. If you have a child who is in high school, or is already in collage, buy them this book. Today's tough job placement environment rewards those with a successful college experience and leaves the low performance graduates with a much harder road to success. In practical and easy to understand language, Patrick O'Brien lays out the path to not only succeed in collage, but to get the most out of the experience as well. This book rivals the famed "7 Habits of Highly Successful People" and will no doubt be a classic. I am sending the copy I bought today to our High School principle, as this book should be required reading for all collage bound seniors. By the way, I gave my older two their copies when they were seniors in high school. My son suggested giving to his younger sisters their freshman year of high school, as many of the principles of the book can easily be applied to grades 9-12. He felt it would have made a difference to his high school GPA. Frankly, I would have given much better advice as a parent if I had the book before my son went to collage. Any parent will benefit from reading "Making College Count -2nd ed", whether you went to collage or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the 2nd edition! It just keeps getting better and better!!!, September 2, 2010
Every year at freshman orientation, all of our incoming student-athletes hear me quote from this book. And every year at graduation, I see many student-athletes that listened.

Ric Coy
Asst Director Student Services, UCLA Athletics

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, May 20, 2013
Making College Count is one of the better books I've read; O'Brien cuts out the fat and gets straight to making meaningful points. He simplifies the ideal college student and shows how anyone can become a coveted graduate. You'll fly through this read and it will leave a lasting impact. I absolutely recommend Making College Count to anyone trying to better market themselves or to students in, or approaching, college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take Pat's advice to heart, September 16, 2010
Undoubtedly the foremost "what-to-do-book" on making the most of your college years, "Making College Count" is a definitive guide of valuable maxims. In an easy-to-digest format, it offers practical preparation and advice for what may be the greatest years of one's life and provides guidance for a successful college and career experience. Parents need a copy of this book. It could save them a little tuition money and their student an extra year in school. Students need to take Pat's advice to heart to make the most of their futures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Make Your College Experience Count, September 1, 2010
This is a must read for any student entering college! Anyone who follows the advice Pat offers throughout the book will give them a step ahead in the real world. A very realistic approach for students to have both a successful and fun college experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making College and Your Career Count, September 1, 2010
I read this book during my senior year of high school when it first came out. I followed Pat's suggestions, especially his ideas around organizing my day to make room for college life. Much to my parent's shock, I walked out of my first year with a 4.0 and I had a great time. Ten years later, I still use Pat's lessons about setting up my work week and getting involved. I can't recommend this book enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dr. Phil of College Knowledge, May 12, 2014
Boy, do I wish I had read this when I was a college freshman. For some background information: I found this book in my office. The CEO of my company allows us access to his bookshelves for his self-help books and books regarding success in the business world. The other day this particular book stood out to me. There was a note from one of his partners that does presentations at colleges on the book that said: "I would recommend this book to all College Parents of America Members." I thought to myself, "A successful business man would recommend this book to thousands upon thousands of people? I have to read this!"

I am a college student in my junior year at an in-state private school. Unfortunately, due to changing my major and transferring schools I have been held back one year. I am twenty-one with a salaried job that gives me a wealth of knowledge in the business world as well as the opportunity to grow into a better business woman. I was surprised that some of the characteristics that he emphasizes are crucial to obtaining your dream job - I already have! This book entirely motivated me to strive for a 4.0, volunteer work, and maintain my 40hr weeks.

For my cousins that are graduating high school soon, I will be hounding them to read this book. My favorite section was where he mentions the social section of the library. I can directly correlate my grades when in the social library setting to those times I spent it in a corner in the library basement. Another important factor he includes is: how is eight hours in front of the TV with your sociology notes any fun? You could easily knock out two hours of intense studying and enjoy six hours of fun.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Making College Count: A Real World Look at How to Succeed in and After College
Making College Count: A Real World Look at How to Succeed in and After College by Patrick S. O'Brien (Paperback - September 1, 2010)
$16.95 $12.02