5.0 out of 5 stars It's a MUST HAVE for anyone who loves the art of makeup!
Published on October 18, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the beginner, not so much for the budding expert
Published on July 22, 2004 by CAC

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a MUST HAVE for anyone who loves the art of makeup!, October 18, 1999
This review is from: Making Faces (Hardcover)
I bought this book skeptically after hearing from a friend how helpful it was in describing techniques. The georgeous photos would have sold it for me anyhow, but Aucoin's 'Making Faces' actually taught me how to do makeup. I've always done the same thing...which was basically go natural or play with makeup till I looked like a clown then scrub it all off. It's a simple approach that is easily accessible. The book makes doing eyebrow shaping look easy...and it not only looks easy- by following a few steps it turns out it IS easy. If you want to learn the basics- buy this book. If you want to do a home makeover- go glamorous, sensual, then fun later on - buy this book. If you want to tune your look a bit- get it! I guess I don't have to go on, but if you are like me and need a bit of instruction and cant afford a makeup artist to be at your beckon call- buy this book. At least borrow it from a friend. It's one of the books you'll consistently turn to for tips and tricks. It's an excellent resource and a whole lot of fun. The photos and styles cover all ages, from young and cute teenage to mature sophisticated and sexy women to a really hot guy in drag (double take is an understatement). Aucoin not only uses "Stars" but also 'real' people (meaning their looks aren't a direct part of their job) in showing the techniques and how they cause such transformations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a makeup tip recipe book, ITS A GLAMOUR BIBLE!!!, July 5, 1999
This review is from: Making Faces (Hardcover)
Kevin Acoin's book Making Faces is exquisite! As a makeup artist familiar with Kevin's work, I thought this book was going to be just a book filled with trade secrets and inside tips.Once I opened to the 3rd or 4th page, I realised how wrong I was.Not only did I find information that was useful beyond anything I learned in Beauty school, it was full of probably the most beautiful collection of photographs I have ever seen.It really takes a true genious to transform so many gorgeous women into other gorgeous women who look nothing like them.I really liked how he chose to use traditional movie roles as inspiration for some of the pictures.I think this allows the reader to recreate the role of the inginue or heroine!! There is also a really wonderful lesson on facial bone structure that really helps to understand how contouring and highlighting certain areas is really important to bring out a womans (or in a few cases..a mans)features.I photocopied it and stuck it to my bathroom mirror as a guide for applying eyeshadow. The only thing that I didnt like about the book is that he didn't mention the products used.Some women will find it a little difficult to find liquid eyeshadow and gold fleck dust!! I think had he given the brand names it would be a lot easier to find the products. This book is definitely a must for any makeup artist, cosmetic consumer, and any woman who wants to feel beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look beautiful no matter your age, size or heritage, August 28, 1998
This review is from: Making Faces (Hardcover)
If you're serious about applying makeup, this book is for you. Aucoin gives detailed instructions on how to achieve any makeup look from natural to extremely dramatic. He also lets the reader in on the secrets of the stars: you too can look like Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe, if you follow his instructions.
I was especially pleased to see Aucoin's techniques demonstrated not just on glamorous stars but also on normal people of all ages and sizes and both sexes. He's got a lot of common sense, too; he puts only minimal makeup on his teenage models (they still look like teenagers after he's done -- what a concept!) and he doesn't think much of child beauty pageants.
The book isn't perfect, though. Aucoin advocates putting eyeliner inside the lash line. Most eye doctors will tell you that's a bad idea, and so will most of us who lived through the first time this idea became popular. Pinkeye, anyone?
He also doesn't put much emphasis on choosing the right colours for the reader's complexion. He advocates complete freedom, which of course is fine for someone experienced with choosing their makeup colours but doesn't help the neophyte who needs advice.
But those are pretty minor complaints. This book is a fantastic tool for the person with some experience in applying cosmetics. I recommend it highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the beginner, not so much for the budding expert, July 22, 2004
CAC "literary femme" (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Faces (Paperback)
This book was incredibly frustrating for me. Yes, the makeovers are beautiful. But a lot of the photographs are completely worthless -- they're in profile, or they're black and white, or they're soft-focus. There's almost no advice on how to choose a quality makeup product or tool. Most frustrating for me was the fact that the breakdowns on the photographs are egregiously incomplete -- in the Lisa Marie Presley ponytail photo, for example, she's obviously wearing a dark eyeshadow in the crease but there's no crease color mentioned, and in the Trish Goff colored eyeshadow photo she's wearing multiple shades of shadow even though it only says she's wearing one.

The other thing that drove me nuts about this book is that almost every single eye shadow look is achieved exclusively with black, white, grey, or brown eyeshadow. I hate basic neutrals and I don't feel they flatter me. I wanted to be shown how to do interesting looks with some colors -- plums, blues, olives? -- and there are literally only three photos in the whole book that have colored eyeshadow. It's really a bizarre juxtaposition of basic, neutral looks with looks that are way too dramatic for anyone but a drag queen or a movie star; nothing in between. Also, it really aggravated me that everyone has flawless skin despite the claims that minimal or no foundation is used.

What I do like about this book is the application techniques (instead of just products) and the stellar contouring photo. I also really appreciate the obvious effort made to include women of color. Conclusion: good for the makeup novice or the average woman, or someone who just likes watching transformations. For the person who already has a good grasp on makeup techniques, though, this book is an exercise in frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, beautifully illustrated and photographed., December 22, 2003
This review is from: Making Faces (Paperback)
I love playing with new looks and colors and this book is the perfect tool on how to make it easy and fun while getting professional looking results. It will help you discover exciting new looks you never dreamed of and the full potential of every makeup tool you own. The instructions on how to accomplish every look in the book are clearly illustrated step-by-step, making them extremely easy to follow. The advice given by the author comes alive with his own funny anecdotes on discovering and experimenting with makeup.
This book is extremely well organized into three sections. The first one covers the basics of what you need to know about each part of your face, how to apply makeup to each, which tools to use and how to enhance and get the most benefit from your strongest features. The second one shows you makeovers done on ordinary people that look like you and me. It includes before and after pictures that show the impact of well-applied makeup on every kind of skin and color combination. The third section is the most impressive part of the book. It shows known celebrities made up like other celebrities that have established iconic looks over the years. (Look for Lisa Marie-Presley as Marilyn Monroe and Isabella Rosellini as Barbra Streisand).
This book also includes a few male makeup techniques, from the conservative (using concealer and powder) to the adventurous (using eyeliner and eyeshadow) to the extremist (using everything from powder and blush to lipstick and a wig).
Although there are three or four extreme looks in this book that I don't think I will ever try, all of the rest can be applied just as they are or with slight modifications. The great advice, easy to follow instructions, funny anecdotes, if not the great photographs alone, make this book a must buy for anyone who uses makeup regularly or sporadically. It's so rewarding that you won't be disappointed.
I recommend buying Beauty: The New Basics by Rona Berg along with this book to complement the makeup knowledge with the best advice on skin care, hair care and beauty products that's available on a printed format.
--Reviewed by M. E. Volmar

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely talented, not for everyone, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Making Faces (Paperback)
Kevyn Aucoin is definitely everything his reputation says he is. This book is excellent, informative, and extremely well put together.

The only down side of it is he does not address Asian beauty. He address caucasian, black, and latin, but not asian... so Asians, this will be good if you want to learn about how to work on all the mentioned faces, but your own...not so much. For those asians whose eyes do not pleat (hooded eyes, or non-creased eyes) this book will not help you dress those and rare style of eyes.

His technique is fantastic and I like his commentaries, very down to earth, though his work is outta-this-world amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful as an art book, but boils down to little substance, July 28, 1999
This review is from: Making Faces (Hardcover)
The pictures in 'Making Faces' are gorgeous and the book is brimming over with glamour. However, as a 'beauty guide' I found it to be very lacking in hard information. The explanations of different forms of makeup (liquid versus cream foundation, matte lipstick versus gloss) were mostly self-evident and the application tips could have been contained in a small pamphlet. The reason the book is so large is to include pictures of beautiful women (and men) If you would normally buy an art or photograph book then I would strongly recommend buying this book. However, for 'make-up tips' I would recommend saving your money and flipping through it at the local Barnes and Nobles for ideas. I really don't think anyone is going to become that much better at applying make-up just because they use this book. Just as I don't think anyone would look that much better just because they wore a swimsuit modeled by Cindy Crawford in this month's edition of Vogue. Kevyn Aucoin is a star even in the world of professional make-up artists and from the biographical information in 'Making Faces' he seems to have been destined to be a great make-up artist. Whereas the rest of us women have a love/hate relationship with make-up and are almost desperately hungry for a make-up fix/miracle. I think there are great make-up ideas in this book that could help people get over make-up phobias and become more comfortable with themselves and make-up. Aucoin's attitude is friendly and encouragin. I'm also impressed that the book has such a people-positive attitude and addresses looks for a wide range of people. But I cannot understand why the other reviewers of 'Making Faces' make such a big fuss over it as if it took on Messianic proportions. I guess if you are obsessed with make-up and being beautiful this is a book to add to your collection. Personally, I don't think glamour equates with 'make-up advice' and you are not going to absorb beauty by rubbing this book over you or being near it or buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, May 23, 2006
This review is from: Making Faces (Paperback)
I bought this book because I don't have a lot of prowess with makeup at all, and I wanted to develop some skills using basic tools. This book, filled with beautiful pictures of beautiful people, assumes a basic knowledge of makeup and a steady hand for application. Maybe eventually I'll make more use of it, when I master the simple steps from other sources of information.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average schmoe, July 27, 1999
This review is from: Making Faces (Hardcover)
I must say I am surprised at the reviews! It's a great book, if you're in the profession of makeup. None of the looks are fit for the average 30 woman who's going to the local mall or to work. This looks are for professional models on the runway. He tells you have to achieve the look, it's true, but he leaves out little things, like sometimes you can clearly see the model is wearing eyeliner, but he fails to put that in the steps to get the look. I had fun with the book when I first got it, but now it's gathering dust in my closet. I guess it depends on what looks you are going for and how seriouse with make-up you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makeup bible, ultimate how-to--BEST book on this topic!, May 17, 2007
This review is from: Making Faces (Paperback)
Makeup bible, ultimate how-to, this book remains the Best book I have seen on the subject of working with color, proportion, shading, and highlighting to create a beautiful, symmetrical, gorgeous face. It is thorough and leaves no question unanswered.

The book begins with the basics: anatomy of the face, foundational ingredients (moisturizer, simple tools, foundation types, powders, concealers) and moves on to techniques. There is an Amazing diagram on shading and highlighting on pg 24 that shows an exaggerated version of what goes on beneath the makeup to create the illusion of symmetry and highlight (or fake) high cheekbones, a lovely chinline, and beautiful eyes. It also discusses brows, eyes, lashes, lips, and then moves onto overall styles and looks. The way he explains with the text and shows with a combination of drawings and pictures makes it clear for anyone, whether a professional or beginner. Excellent resource!

The looks themselves are extremely varied from subtle, minimal, and fresh, to smoky, sexy, and very dramatic. He begins with simple ideas on everyday people, but finishes off with celebrities looking like you have never seen them--you seriously have to find their names to figure out who they are, they look so different. These are examples of what different makeup can do, and for the theatre and fashion folks out there, this section provides you with so much inspiration and ideas--it is priceless!

There is something here for every person and every occasion, so even those who don't like looking overly made up can look great. His pictures of friends, family, and of course, celebrities give this book both warmth and glamour, and his clear way of breaking down various techniques make this the most accessible, user-friendly, useful book I have read on this topic. I recommend it to anyone at all.

Making Faces
Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin (Hardcover - August 5, 1998)
Used & New from: $2.19