5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for beginners but good for any level astrologer
This book is a delight. Caroline Casey has a degree in semiotics and a marvelous wit, describing planetary energies through anecdotes, myths, and sacred wisdom, all with a light heart, and a reverent irreverence.
Perhaps it's best to share a quote. I take this from the section on Uranus:
"To grow shiitake mushrooms, one plants the spores in a stick and lets...
Published on August 25, 2002 by Molly Cliborne

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginners' astrology book written in present-day English.
This book is recommended for astrological novices and those with a general interest in metaphysics. Casey manages to put a fresh face on the main components of astrology (signs, houses, aspects; but the majority of the book is devoted to the planets) in present-day english and with a decent sense of humor. Casey incorporates mythology and beliefs from around the world...
Published on July 27, 1998 by D Stew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for beginners but good for any level astrologer, August 25, 2002
Molly Cliborne (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
Perhaps it's best to share a quote. I take this from the section on Uranus:
"To grow shiitake mushrooms, one plants the spores in a stick and lets it sit for a year. Then you must strenuously pound the stick to awaken the dormant life within. For the same reason, during midlife and Uranus transits, we get pounded. Like the spores, we are comfortably snoozing when suddenly, "What the...?!" Thump! Thump! Thump!
We invoke Uranus by posing the question, "If I feel agitated, restless, or on the brink of a discovery, where in my life do I want lightning to strike?...."
If you've got your basics down and want to know more about the planets, or about your transits, this book is such a good choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashingly different, August 19, 2002
"serenete" (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche (Paperback)
I chanced upon this book going for half-price in an Australian self-help centre. Had I not stopped to look beyond the cheesy purple cover, I would have missed one of the most intriguing and thought-provoking adventures in astrology ever.
The difference between reading an academician's view in astrology and that of a layman is huge. For those who aren't ready to go straight into the depth and heaviness of Liz Greene, and want to get out of the tabloid astrology type reading, yet don't want to read candid, matter-of-fact portrayals such as Linda Goodman puts it, Caroline Casey provides a fresh, witty, reverent and yet playful spin on the planets and signs. It's the difference between reading Jung's academic works and reading his made-for-the-normal-person 'Man and His Symbols'.
Treating each planet in terms of archetypes, suggesting little rituals for honouring each, and drawing on her own experiences as well as that of myth, it's not your average read. What I especially love is her playful writing style, as well as her comprehensive treatments of each planet.
For instance, with the difficult Pluto, Casey redefines what it means to deal with the trials of death, rebirth and transformation: she teaches how to honour the darkness, describes the stages of descent, to release control through broad techniques of ritual and incantations, leaving it up to the reader to do as she wishes.
This is not a how-to book, but is for the person who wants to see how these archetypes play out in her life, and how to honour them whilst struggling through them, and realising, as Casey says at the end, 'making the gods you.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book and have gobs of fun., June 9, 1998
Think before you buy (Marin County , California) - See all my reviews
Beware! Yes, be aware. A spell has been cast and tossed into the sea of eternity. There is no escape. What fun. We have a conspiracy of mystics here. I have listened to Caroline Casey's radio program. Although she is clearly creative, intelligent and entertaining, often I have found it redundant, even bording contrite - due mostly to the callers. I always had the feeling that if Caroline could emerse herself in the extended contemplation and focus that comes with writing a book, we would get a truly valuable piece of work. And so it is. Making the Gods Work for You is a living, breathing, dancing alchemy. Fun, insigtful and practical. Whether you know the language of Astrology or not, makes no difference. One thing that got a me smile out of me is how she likes to use the word fierce alot. I did not find anything fierce about it. Dynamic, yes. What was imparted throughout the book is a graceful, delicate, in-depth and respectful offering of the fullness and magic of life. She enters honestly into all the dimensions of ourselves as represented by the signs and planets and invites the reader to explore, experiment, doubt and dance with the scariest parts of ourself - from the most condemend to the most reverent - seducing us into the undeniable understanding that each contains the other. As an astrologer, I was particularly taken with the form of the book. It's inside out. My favorite arrangement. After the usual intro/preparation she begins the journey with Pluto. Wonderful. She then moves on to the rest of the outer planets and closes with the Sun. The layering effect is rich and full of surprises, taking the reader on a juicy pilgrimage, from here to here. She has really contributed a valuable service to our world. Read this book and have gobs of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, January 15, 2006
Caroline Casey's book is not a technical read! And yet... she conveys the intricate pattern of planetary influence with a depth that keeps me coming back to this book. She has stories that include ways of honoring particularly intense transits. For so many, learning astrology is not what they want to do. They want to understand their chart. If you have been told that you are going through a transit and you want more practical information for what that might look like... this is your book. If you are an astrologer... this book brings it back to the fine patterns in the sand that you just do not see in the other - very fine - books designed to break it down by study. What you will not get is a cooking recipe for planet in sign to house.... etc. I find myself coming back, frequently to this book to regain the respect that can be lost in too much study!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ!, May 13, 1999
By A Customer
A really fun book to read, Caroline has filled it to the brim with astrological and mythological information. She's one of the best writers on the subject, possessing an informed and likeable voice which she uses to teach true practical magic. She makes you realize that magic is still alive and within us all, sleeping within the subconscious, there to be used for self-transformation. If you're even remotely interested in the language of astrology, and enjoy reading authors who love the english language and use it beautifully, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will leave you dreaming of the depths...., November 9, 2000
I have listened to the three hour tape completely and am in the process of listening again. I imagine I will listen to it often. What a gift this is! Caroline has so much to say and she says it packed full of wisdom that I cannot absorb it in just one sitting. I am entranced! I will be looking for more of her work soon. I want to really grasp her thoughts on this course before I go further, but further I must go! WOW Caroline's gift for weaving her subjects together left me spellbound. The way she forms her thoughts, voice strong and sure, intellect abounds, yet magickal in her delivery with bits of humor throughout. I find myself enraptured with not only her message but with the way in which she gives it. I hope that one day I might be able to attend a seminar given by her. And, the music interjected is wonderful. I find myself singing (a bit off key but when that happens I only sing louder!) We are the Witches.. I am a reader. I love the written word and have shied away from books on tape. What a grave mistake this was - fore I have found this tape to be a joyous experience especially while trapped in my car. I look forward to bumper to bumper traffic - so I may listen more deeply, red lights do not insight anger or frustration at time wasted, but rather quiet rapture, as I listen to her speak of Gods, Peoples, Dreams and Planets. It has made astrology something that I can enjoy, a way of learning that is no longer dry and boring. She has opened my eyes and allowed me to dream more. So for now rather than just awaking from the surface - I will also dream the depths. Ashe

5.0 out of 5 stars Casey updates astrological symbology for the 90's., July 21, 1998
Denise Low-Weso (Lawrence, Kansas) - See all my reviews
What makes this more than a sun-sign summary of astrology is the framework Casey has developed. She draws on classical astrology as well as Jungian thought, Buddhism, and other traditions to synthesize a larger perspective. Also evident is her own practice as an astrologer for many years. She writes from experience here, on several levels, so that her understanding of the planets, houses, and signs is multi-dimensional. she makes clear that astrology is a sequence of psychological and spiritual processes, not trite "predictions." Like alchemy, the metaphors for the earth's laws, astrology is the set of metaphors for the heavens. Casey shows a unified field theory for the world above, and how it manifests in the world here below.

5.0 out of 5 stars so charming it might make you believe in astrology., July 16, 1998
By A Customer
OK,OK, I'm her sister. But that doesn't mean I'm an easy reviewer on this one. (I was thinking of signing in anonymously, as ``a reader in Moscow, Russia, the option helpfully provided by the Amazon-ers.) I believe in Caroline. But I believe in astronomy, not astrology. However, ``Making the Gods Work For You" is both charming and smart. It is full of true things, coming from Caroline's very original observations on current life, and from years of real scholarship. Because the book is typed as astrology rather than folklore or myth or a kind of particularly interesting self-help, it's getting stuck (at least in the places I've been in on the East Coast) in the back of bookstores and it's not being reviewed by the big book sections. Which is a shame. I advise general readers with no particular interest in astrology to slink over to the New Age shelves and take a look at the book with the purple cover. There's none of the usual rigid, irritating predictive astrolo! ! gical stuff -- i.e. you do that all the time because you're a Taurus. Instead the book encourages the reader to pay attention to the rhythms of nature and the cosmos, and to appreciate his or her own mix of qualities, Venusian, Saturnine, whatever. (Also, and no small thing: There's more real wit in here than you'll find in two years of Jay Leno, or six years of David Letterman.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrating the Mythic Language of Liberation!, August 23, 1998
By A Customer
How can anyone praise such an intelligent, witty, visionary book so full of trickster compassion and graciousness when other reviewers are saying it so well? For thousands of years around the world, a real education which led to wisdom began with the study of numbers, shapes, music and astronomy/astrology. They were considered by antiquity as portals into the archetypal patterns which inform the entire cosmic harmony. Casey has bestowed a gift on us by revealing its astrological door and allowing us to take a tour of ourselves while pointing out the accessible tools we have to maneuver with. She has obviously done her homework and is a great storyteller. She makes us feel how the language of astrological archetypes is our native language and a scorecard for "ordinary" events which play out the timeless mighty mythic dramas. Highly recommended for those interested in re-creating the world and themselves with intelligence, joy and humor, while getting a set of timeless tools in the bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the Gods work for you, February 25, 2006
Amazing book. Offers a very elevated and intelligent way of integrating astrology into one's physical/spiriual/emotional life in a proactive way. Astrology is the weather and we are the sailors.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche by Caroline W. Casey (Paperback - August 24, 1999)
Used & New from: $3.50