on August 19, 2010
Anke says that she considers herbology an amateur interest whereas herbalism is a professional pursuit. I was glad to hear someone else make the same differention as I do! I always consider myself an herbologist, one who studies herbs and no way would I be ready to consider myself an herbalist, if ever! But as Anke says, just because we consider herbology for amateurs does not mean it is any less effective or important! What Anke does say it represents is a continuation of an ancient tradition whereby herb lore is practiced by everyday people in everyday situations! Now that was truly speaking to me folks! Anke's aim is to help guide everyone in taking back our heritage of herbal medicine and passing it on to future generations!

The book is very well written and easy to read with clear instruction for making internal and external remedies. There are sections on infused oils, creams, first aid, children, tinctures, food as medicine and many others. Each is very helpful ready reference when you are making your own remedies at home. What I consider very useful is the fact I finally have a book in my home library that is so easy, and fast to use. Let's just say you have gathered some St. John's Wort and you can't remember right away how to infuse it in oil or fresh tincture it, just grab this book and you can immediately find the sections of the book to help! A ready reference with sound advice right at my fingertips! I am in love!
on January 14, 2013
I was very disappointed with this book. It took me only 15 minutes to read it because there was only 29 pages of fairly good sized print and some of those pages were only a part page. Other reviews said this was a good beginner's book but the info is so limited and there were so few types of herbs mentioned that you'd be better off skipping this and putting your money into a book with more detailed info.
on May 16, 2012
I just finished reading this and loved it. It was easy to understand and explained how and why a person should use different processes for making different remedies. It was great to read about the different herbs and what they are used for. I would definitely suggest that anyone who is considering making their own herbal remedies purchase this book and keep an eye out for other books she will publish in the future. While it is short, this book contains an abundance of information in one place.
on June 9, 2012
on January 31, 2013
Good info in a short book but not for beginners. I bought it on a super sale and like it. There's a few quibbles I have with recipes, but if you're into this like I am and doing your research as you should, you'll treat them exactly like that, recipes and adjust to what suits you and your family better. Consulting an herbalist is the first place to go of course. ;)
on January 5, 2013
This has some good things in it, but is not as informational as it could be. I like the few recipes provided for teas and such, but already having some knowledge of herbs there wasn't enough goodness in the book. I did like the balanced approach that the book speaks of when using herbs and how it stresses that herbs should be used in conjunction with modern medicine. Nonetheless, there are several books out there that discuss several uses of herbs for medicinal purposes. This book tended to be on the pre-cautionary side (of modern medicine) and tended not to mention any herbs for specific purposes. Nonetheless, the author seems to love and appreciate herbs as much as I do.
on December 24, 2012
I was thinking that this was going to be more of a "cookbook" mix this and use that to make _____. But it was more of a wonderful addition to one. It showed the process on how to prepare the ingredients properly to use in "recipies". if your getting this thinking it's going to be full of herbal remedies, it's not.
on June 18, 2013
I'm in the process of becoming a Certified Herbalist and this book has helped me tremendously. If you enjoy making herbal remedies for pleasure or for a little extra income, this book can help you out.
on June 10, 2014
We'll actually most modern medicine comes from plants and is synthetically adulterated to maintain patent ownership and more so to keep the money flowin' in. Free yourself and grow some tea. Green tea is my favorite, how about yours???

The Jersey Devil
on December 26, 2012
While the descriptions of the methods for making herbal remedies are good; the author promises specific amounts to use and does so in a general way that still leaves the inexperienced wannabe feeling lost in the vague instruction.