Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 27, 2013
Based upon the title and the existing reader reviews, I checked this book out of the library. It is so useful that I will purchase it for my personal library. The DYI suggestions are exactly what I have been looking for. In many ways, the authors have re-invented/updated for the modern world, practices that were common amoung our ancesters. The long-list of DYI activities included in the book are very do-able, affordable, and fun using items that one normally has around the house, or items that are very easily accessable. In addition to all of the wonderful projects, one quickly discovers there is an improvement in quality of life & less environmental impact when putting these practices to work. Several of the projects would make excellent science experiments/studies for school or educational related activities. I highly recommend this book.
on July 3, 2011
Very interesting book.I recommend it especially for young people so that they can see what they can do for themselves, and not rely solely on manufacturers for everything.
on July 28, 2014
This is a terrific book with many homemade products the authors have tested themselves. Very good ideas from beginning to end, some you've heard of, and other probably not. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to DYI!
on July 11, 2011
Great book on modern homesteading skills. This book can save everyone a lot of money every products that we overpay for at the store. Check out the laundry soap recipe.
on April 30, 2014
We had purchased their other book Urban Homestead and after watching a you tube of the authors place bought this book. It is easy to follow and you will be amazed at the ways you can save, save, save! A book for everyone.
on August 14, 2013
You don't see too many books like this out there. We buy far too many things that we could be making, only no one knows how. This book will definitely get you started learning the how part. You will be surprised at how many things you can actually do for yourself. So sad that this book is so rare. If you see it, I advise snatching it up before someone else does.
on October 14, 2012
this is a great book. if people would even do one thing out of this book, it would be a great step toward personal independence. i loved the home made mints, and will never buy em from the store again. i did however find a better recipe for deodorant that lasts a lot longer. still this book has provided a lot of useful info.all though this book is full of a lot of info, it leaves enough room for you to personalize the projects to your own specs. definetly recommend.
on July 28, 2012
I haven't even read through this entire book yet, but I'm blown away by the amount and variety of doable, practical projects the authors cover. Every time I turn a page, I think, "Wow! Here's something else I want to do!" We already have a pretty fair library of what I consider "homesteading" books, but we could probably have saved some money by buying this book first. It's fun and easy to read, not dry at all, and instructions are simple and clear. I really like the authors' perspectives and philosophies. I wish they lived down the road! If you like to do and make things yourself, and you want to cut out at least some storebought, processed, chemical-laden foods and products from your lifestyle, you will LOVE this book!
on January 8, 2013
Maybe not right away, but as you realize the benefits of making your own things you will value this book greatly. Some of the projects I didn't use exactly but modified for my purposes or got a great idea of my own. It has already saved me the price of the book.
on April 5, 2012
This has a lot of home made things that it would never have occured to me to make.
One thing I really liked was learning about a plant called soapwort. And how to make an oil lamp.