5.0 out of 5 stars The essential Dire Straits album
Published on August 3, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but very dated.
I'm a big fan of Dire Straits early work but this one was not as good for me. Where the earlier albums tended to have a more bluesy/jazzy sound with good rock, this was straight up 80's rock and, though well executed, it was dated. I'm still a fan but this will never be in my universal favorites list like Dire Straits the album is.
Published 6 months ago by slt

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential Dire Straits album, August 3, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
Although it produced no hit singles, "Making Movies" is beyond question Dire Straits' masterpiece. Mark Knopfler's ripping guitar forms the backdrop for seven beautiful, haunting, fiercely personal cuts. Every song perfectly captures a deep human emotion, from the bitter heartache of "Romeo And Juliet" to the angry defiance of "Solid Rock" to the steamy lustfulness of "Expresso Love". There are no weak songs, though the bouncy and playful "Les Boys", which ends the album, seems a bit out of place compared to the six deadly earnest songs that precede it.
Yes, the album owes a heavy debt of gratitude to Springsteen, with many cuts building on the Boss's signature guitar/organ/piano framework. But, Knopfler's vocal delivery and deft guitar work, plus the band's sparser and cleaner arrangements, never allow you to forget that you're listening to Dire Straits. Only "Tunnel Of Love", which sounds like a cross between "Thunder Road" and "Sandy" strays a little too far into Bruce's territory but for that the boys can be forgiven.
One tip: this album must be heard in its entirety to be fully appreciated. It will take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotion, something that no greatest hits album can ever duplicate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, February 7, 2003
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
This is not only my favorite Dire Straits recording, it is one of my favorite rock CD's of all time. Never has Mark Knopfler's guitar work been more passionate. Never have his lyrics been more poetic. Never have his vocals been more emotive. "Tunnel of Love" has an unforgettable melody, dreamlike lyrics, and a haunting guitar that add up to one of the greatest songs ever. "Romeo and Juliet" tells a heartbreaking story, told perfectly thanks to Knopfler's dead-on vocals. Not a weak song to be found in this masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eighties Epic still fresh today, April 17, 2000
Thornytoes (St. Augustine, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
Mark Knophler's 1980 classic 'Making Movies' signaled a positive change in direction for this extraordinary guitarist and songwriter. David Knophler checks out on this one and is never missed. On this album, Mark Knophler moved away from the heavy blues influences that prevailed on the 'Dire Straits' and 'Communique' and created simply the greatest 5-song Rock'n'Roll Love Ballad ever recorded.

'Tunnel of Love' takes you to a familiar place with tasteful and riveting guitar interwoven with the message of love and passion. As if that is not enough, 'Romeo and Juliet' played entirely over a classical guitar melody brings to life the tale of two lovers vexed by time and circumstance. I can only think of Westside Story when I hear this again and again. There is no tiring of this song. 'Skateaway' and 'Expresso Love' continue this familiar lyrical theme with seductive harmonies and guitar licks at every turn. When I hear 'Solid Rock', you wonder if it really is Bob Dylan Singing!

The first 5 tracks on the LP/CD are arguably the most passionately executed love songs put to vinyl (or whatever) that I can ever remember. Maybe only Van Morrison rivals Knopler's ability to pen and play remarkable love ballads. If you are in love, this CD will move you to tears. If you are not, it will make you wish you were.

One often-forgotten notable on this LP/CD is Roy Bittan. His extraordinary piano accompaniment on each of these tracks is as integral as Knophler's guitar. If ever a session musician had a fundamental impact on the sound of a recording, it is here with Roy Bittan. Familiar to Springsteen fans, his piano accompaniment adds so much color to each track and compliments Knophler in a natural, beautiful way. To take him out of this recording, it would sound hollow and incomplete.

The only downer on this album is the final track 'Les Boys.' I am sure Knophler wishes he could have replaced this one with anything else. It completely does not fit with the perfection of the other 6 songs. Who knows what he was thinking with this song.

This album, while not initially a commercial success, has aged so well that it continues to be as fresh now as it was 20+ years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simply Terrific Early Dire Straits Album!, September 21, 2000
Barron Laycock "Labradorman" (Temple, New Hampshire United States) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to be living in England just outside London in a little town called West Ruislip just down the cobbled streets from the "T" station near the famous "Orchards" pub when Dire Straits released their "Love Over Gold" album in 1982, and the young English couple living in the flat upstairs played it over and over, introducing me both to their good taste in music and the terrific group called "Dire Straits" in the process. Of course, as I think back upon it, I was familiar with their hit "Sultans Of Swing", but never really paid much attention until hearing this terrific album and Mark Knopfler's unbelievably stirring, crisp and innovative guitar solos. Soon I was down at the music shoppe buying their other albums, including "Making Movies". By that time I was familiar with their unique and unforgettable sound and also their very introspective lyrics. I came to love this album as much as "Love Over Gold", and several of the cuts are my favorites.
Starting with the first cut, "Tunnel Of Love", an epic guitar rendition owing much to a Springsteen-like treatment of the material, Knopfler's distinctive twanging guitar sound echoed in my flat to all hours of the morning, along with "Romeo And Juliet", "Solid Rock", and a very hot and steamy "Expresso Love", and from such nice English boys! In the short two years I lived in Britain, Knopfler became a kind of institutionalized artistic force everywhere one looked, writing soundtrack music for (among other films) "Local Hero" and "Cal", performing both alone and with Dire Straits, and collaborating with other artists, as well. The music here is very and innovative progressive rock, and the electric guitar work literally sings by itself. When I listen to the album now, it is a source of continuing amazement to me that Knopfler could make the sounds that emanated out of that instrument so uniquely animated as it is. The whole band is terrific, and it is sad that they made so few albums before internal frictions broke them apart. Enjoy this and their other wonderful albums. Here in "Making Movies" they make an indelible stamp on modern rock that I am sure you will find entertaining and entrancing. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCH AN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE!, March 18, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
This wonderful, beautiful work is on my top five album list of all time. I have a confession: when all my friends were listening to Dire Straits in the early 80's, I could not STAND THEM! Well, then I heard Skateaway for the first time, & I am happy to admit how wrong I was. I picked up the album for the one song, and like everyone else here, could not stop listening...From the beginning notes of R & H's "CAROUSEL" (pure genius for crying out loud!),you knew you were in for a different experience. Tunnel of Love is amazing, and to repeat everyone else, I can listen to the ending over and over (and over). Romeo and Juliet brings me to tears with it's heartwringing message. I am a convert after this painstakingly beautiful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Nothing quite compares to this MASTERPIECE", November 17, 1999
Tara Butler (Sunny California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
I have owned this album for many many years and never get sick of it. I can listen to the last 3 minutes of "Tunnel of Love" over and over again, all day long. "Romeo and Juliet" never fails to move me to tears. I only wish there were a comparable musical journey out there, as I just can't get enough! It is easy to give credit to Mark Knofpler's extreme talent, however, this album is a milestone of perfection for the entire group. Nothing can touch this ("Love Over Gold" comes close though!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Not All Throwback is Throwaway, May 16, 2003
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
I would be one of the last to endorse throwback music based on pure nostalgia, but I find myself reaching for this CD when I least expect to and find I am unexpectedly surprised.
The strength of this work is really based on two songs..."Romeo and Juliet," and "Skateaway." Neither of which were bonafide top 40 hits to my knowledge. I have listened to "Romeo and Juliet" for my fourth time tonight and it is a song that is not to be tired of. "and all I do is miss your and the way we used to be / all I do is keep the beat and bad company / all I do is kiss you through the bars of a rhyme / Julie I'd do the stars with you any time." The song strikes the right balance of mood...blues, country, jazz, and poetry. It's an all-time wonderful tune, to be sure.
And then there is the fun of "Skateaway." Skateaway was the closest to a hit catching MTV early day play time. The song is less mood-inducing than "Romeo and Juliet," and more poppy, but not in a bad way. It rolls along with the fun lyrics, "she tortures taxi drivers just for fun / she like to read their lips / says toro toro taxi see ya tomorrow my son / I swear she let a big truck grease her hips."
This was before the overplayed Dire Straits days of "Money for Nothing," and the only Dire Straits CD that holds my interest. Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is impressive and catchy and holds a candle up to its influence...Nashville Blues. He has played with the likes of Chet Atkins. Not bad for a Brit when Brits usually pay homage to blues and not Nashville. The rest of the album is pretty solid with "Expresso Love," and "Hand in Hand," being standouts on their own rights. I disagree with other reviewers that the last song "Les Boys," doesn't belong or is offensive. To me, it gives some added interest, a little color, and lightness, played in vaudeville style. A fun balance to the soul roller coaster of "Making Movies."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Desert Island Disk, October 3, 2000
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
If you've recently discovered the remarkable talents of guitarist/singer/songwriter Mark Knopfler through his recent solo effort "Sailing to Philadelphia," and have the urge to explore his earlier work with Dire Straits, "Making Movies" is a great place to start.
The band's third outing, released in 1980, is indispensable. Rolling Stone magazine ranked it among the most important albums of the decade, and it is often considered the band's-and Knopfler's-best work, and with good reason. It represented a spirit of experimentation in the songwriting that would carry over into much of the Straits' later efforts, as well as his own solo outings. It was the first time he played all the guitar parts himself (brother David left the band after "Communiqué," their second album), and it was also a first to have the substantial contributions of a keyboard player, the E Street Band's Roy Bittan.
Coproduced by Knopfler and Jimmy Iovine, the quality of the music is relentless. The stunning opener, "Tunnel of Love," is an epic on an almost classical scale. The song begins innocently enough with "The Carousel Waltz," which sounds just like its title suggests, and suddenly bursts open with Knopfler's signature riffs, Pick Withers' crashing drums, and John Illsley's thundering bass. The lyrics swirl a myriad of amusement-park imagery at the listener, the perfect setting for its tale of youth, love, and heartbreaking loss. Unlike many of the songwriter's story/character songs, this one feels oddly personal, as if Knopfler himself is overcome by the poignancy of these memories.
"Romeo and Juliet" is sweetly romantic, while "Skateaway" is just pure fun. Although the first three songs are lengthy, they literally seem to fly by, as the soaring, melodic guitar solos and rich textures make you forget about the clock on the wall.
"Expresso Love" and "Solid Rock" are both equally rollicking numbers, but "Hand in Hand" brims with sorrow at another relationship starting to dissolve. The closing track, "Les Boys," is a somewhat comedic slice-of-life tale about a gay nightclub in Germany, and proves that Knopfler can be inspired by just about anything.
A must-have for any fan of classic rock, stellar guitar playing, and fascinating songwriting, it is an essential addition to any CD collection. The music has lost none of its punch or relevancy over the years; it sounds as fresh today as it did then. The soon-to-be-released digitally remastered reissue should be a glorious listen for devotees and newcomers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up album, August 4, 2006
J. Keeton (Douglasville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
I have the first two CD's by Dire Straight and I think that you are either going to get Mark Knopler or you aren't. I enjoy his work but I would imagine, like most of his fans, I realize he doesn't have a great singing voice in a traditional sense. However, the way he works that to his advantage is what is so interesting about his work. Plus, he's a maestro on the guitar. I think that if you like the first album, you'll like this album and vice versa. I think I like "Skate Away" more than "Sultan's of Swing". "Solid Rock" is real spirited rocker and I don't think I will get tired of that one. All the other cuts on the second album are enjoyable if you can appreciate Knopler's clever songwriting. But, if you don't, he always has some nice guitar work to latch onto. But, if you don't like tasty guitar licks, then you probably won't enjoy Dire Straights.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Recording., March 17, 2000
Jason Stein (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
I have all 7 studio cds from Dire Straits and I believe that Making Movies is their best. Sure, their Dire Straits cd and Brothers in Arms are great discs. Making Movies is the only one that contains "Romeo and Juliet", "Skateaway" and "Les Boys" though. It's a tight 7 song playlist that works. 1982's Love Over Gold attempted the same results but fell short. I've always been pleased with Making Movies and I think it's Dire Straits' classic secret. Most people will go for the debut or Brothers in Arms, but Making Movies is as solid as either of those. All three are musts for any rock fan though.

Making Movies
Making Movies by Dire Straits (Audio CD - 2000)