5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh perspective on the things/Things in your life!
Published on December 18, 2002 by Yanique Redwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but then what?
This book is about the psychology of things - how and why we acquire then, how and why we organize them - or not, and how and why we do or do not discard things.
The author suggests an approach to acquisition, organization and de-acquisition.
Fine. I figured a few things out about my psychology. Get fewer things. Throw more things away. But - the middle step -...
Published on June 20, 2003 by K S

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh perspective on the things/Things in your life!, December 18, 2002
This review is from: Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It (Paperback)
As Editor-in-Chief of a magazine about getting and staying organized, I read a lot of books on organizing to find good writers. But sometimes books get repetitive. When I read Making Peace with the Things in Your Life, I just had to email the author. What a fresh perspective! This book helps you to differentiate between the things in your life and the Things in your life (when you buy it, you will really get this point). It also helps you to understand the meanings you attribute to your stuff. Not only was there value in this book from my perspective as an editor (I asked her to write an article for the magazine), but I also found gems that helped me to stop and think about my own possessions and those of my family members. For example, I was able to understand why my daughter's room was swamped with paper by examining the meanings she attached to each and every sheet. Soon I was able to help her see the difference between things and Things, and that's just one success story. I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone, whether you are organized, not so organized, or somewhere in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, August 28, 2004
It really did. Knowing the "why" that I was doing something really helped to change the habit. And the part where the author says that there is no "Magic System" was perfect!

This book approaches a problem in a counseling manner. And anyone who has been through AA or counseling understands getting to the root of something, in order to make a change.

Frankly, I look at the above negative reviews and see that those people missed the whole point of the book.

No, feeling overwhelmed is not as serious of a problem as drug abuse, but when the author helps you look at the base issues and reasons why you may feel overwhelmed with all the things and things to do in your life, it DOES help you in other areas of your life that are important.

Get this book - it will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise from a Professional Organizer, December 22, 2002
Debbie Stanley "debstanley" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
As a professional organizer, I have shelves full of organizing books, but Glovinsky's is the first to consider the problem of disorganization from a psychological perspective. Her unique vantage point as a therapist who is also an organizer provides valuable insights for other organizers, yet is presented in a way that is accessible to anyone wishing to get a grip on clutter. Some people have success molding their lives around a generic how-to system, but many need to know why they are the way they are before they can embrace the change required to get organized. If you need a deeper explanation combined with an empathetic, humorous approach to clearing out your clutter, or if you are an organizer looking for new ways to help clients understand disorganization, I strongly recommend Glovinsky's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great find!, September 13, 2005
I have a number of books on organizing. They do give specific advice, as a previous reviewer wanted, but the trouble is, they didn't fit my situation. Their advice was often so detailed (and specific to the exact items being organized) that I found it impossible to translate it to my things in my home. My stuff stayed disorganized. This book is wonderful! As another reviewer said, it explains the difference between your things and your Things. It helps you understand the psychology of why you buy the Things you buy and why you keep them. Once you understand that, the organizing part is easier. You'll have a better understanding of what is most important to you--what Things to keep and which will need to be kept in a prominent place. And you can always refer to one of the many "clinical" books out there if you need more help with the putting away part! As for me, I am finally making headway in my organizing effort. If you enjoy learning about people--especially the different personality types represented in all of us--you will probably appreciate this author's approach to organizing as much as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars THINGS Are Taking Over Our Lives !!, February 18, 2006
I see myself and others struggling with management of their things. We buy storage boxes, thinking that is the solution. I know people who even rent space to handle their overflow of stuff.
This book helps the reader analyze what the source of the problem may be, so the behavior can be changed.
*Is it acquiring more than can be handled?
*Is it lack of time, energy, space to care for what you have?
*Is there a process for moving things onward when they are no longer useful?
The author shows that clutter comes from problems with these three areas (acquisitions, managment, and disposition). Many books on clutter work out structure to manage what you have, but doesn't change the influx that overwhelms even a good system. This book won't tell you how to organize your sock drawer, but will get you to change some behaviors that contribute to your clutter problem.
I really like the questions at the end of each chapter. They really make me think about my possessions and why I have them, how I use them, where I keep them, and why I haven't gotten rid of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is not hopeless after all, September 17, 2002
After recieving Cindy Glovinsky's book as a gift, I was very skeptical. Why would I spend any of my precious time reading a book about dealing with clutter? Who would even write such a thing? But it works! I'm not Martha Stewart, but I do now have a filing cabinet instead of a sea of papers on the floor and I've learned to part with lots of [stuff] that I never really needed. Glovinsky doesn't badger you or try to give you some miracle solution. Just some new ways of thinking about "things" that make life a little easier. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just decluttering but staying that way!, October 25, 2002
By A Customer
Many books on organization offer solid plans for clearing out every room in the house. But this one goes further.
While I agree with the other 5-star reviews I wanted to add that the author gives wonderful motivation and guidelines for keeping the things in our lives decluttered and organized - after getting the junk out!

5.0 out of 5 stars an incredible help to me in organizing my Things, July 29, 2002
This book excplains why we hoard things, why we clutter...there are so many reasons for so many people, but many have spoken to me and knowing why I do things, I'm able to deal with them better. Instead of feeling a loss when I give away something I never use, I feel excited that someone else who can use it will have the pleasure of it. This isn't just plans and how to; there's little of that. It makes clear why we find outselves drowning in things, and knowing the why, makes it easier to clean out our shelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A different way to look at your stuff (clutter), February 4, 2007
As others have written,I too have read many, many, MANY clutter, organizing, packrat books. I still have so many, they have contributed to the clutter. This was one of the good ones. My problem is not organizing my stuff-- I want to get rid of it. Most books give you detailed file organizing and specific instructions. I wanted to know WHY I couldn't let go of so many things. This may not be everyone's problem, but it was mine. Once I understood why, it actually helped to get rid of them - not organize them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, July 5, 2006
If you find your missing car keys in the fridge or run the washer without first loading the clothes, this is the book for you! In fact, I would highly recommend it to anyone who has tried traditional organizing methods but met with little success. Glovinsky will help you find new insight into why your relationship with your possessions is so difficult and will then guide you in developing individualized organizing methods that will actually work for you. After years of dealing with ADD, I can honestly say this is the first book that's ever truly helped me in this area.