Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 21, 2007
I bought this saw about a month ago and I love that it is so light compared to the Milwaukee saws. I am normally a Milwaukee guy , but I wanted to try a different brand so I took a chance on Makita. I own a lot of Makita tools just not there saws . I am a carpenter and I need stuff to last because it gets used every day for 8+ hours. After I used the saw I love the balance and weight I also think the LED work light is a nice thing to have in low light conditions. All around I would recommend to all people that need a saw that is built to last!!!
on September 24, 2007
This is the best circular saw I have ever used. I used to own the previous version, 5007FK. I'm a homeowner, not a pro, and my old saw 'disappeared' when some contractors were at the house. I went for this upgraded model as a replacement and haven't been disappointed. I've used it on multiple projects (deck, bookcases, some light framing) and it is powerful and cuts true. It is a big improvement over the old version in several ways. The ergonomics are better, the adjustment levers are now rubber coated (used to be smaller hard plastic knobs), and the cast magnesium base is more solid than the old stamped aluminum base. Also, the blade guard is redesigned and no longer binds up on 2x material. Great saw. Highly recommended. Comparison shop against the Milwaukee and the Porter-Cable (forget the DeWalts) and you'll see this Makita comes in first. My only complaint is that the included blade is junk - mine lost two carbide teeth on my first project. Ditch the blade for a good Irwin or DeWalt blade.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2009
I have used the current models of Dewalt, Hitachi and Milwaukee circular saws extensively, and this saw is hands down better than any of those. I use the saw every day,I have had this opportunity because my tools have been stolen a couple times(ouch)
The makita LXT impact and drill are so good that I thought I would try out this tool.
A list of what I noticed about this saw the first time I used it. I was astonished how quickly I noticed this stuff in use,
it seemed only all right when I checked it out at the store.

1. It has a silky smooth start up
2. It has excellent ergonomic grips
3. It is quieter and sounds better
4. It has an light to see your line, (much more useful than I thought it would be)
5. The adjustment levers function better and are easier to grab
6. Onboard storage for blade removal hex key
7. The angle adjustments and depth stop are easier to see.
8. It comes with the rip guide (much more useful that you would think)
9. The cord is installed to the body of the tool like they mean for it to stay and not fray
10. and does it ever cut smoothly,

it does not however have a electric brake, the 5007mga does though i believe.

This saw is on a different plane,
Thanks Makita engineers, you are making some amazing tools right now.
And other guys, come on seriously catch up.
on December 13, 2008
As a precision-oriented professional home-remodeler, I finally got fed-up with the DeWalt 364 I had been using for the past 14 years. It is a rugged saw, to be sure, but I could never get it aligned properly, so ripping with the fence has always been an adventure. I finally gave up and just started ripping everything free-hand. Also, the blade would deflect terribly when ripping along a bevel. ANYWAY, I bought this Makita 5007MG and LOVE the saw. It's lighter, very well-balanced for me, and cuts incredibly accurately. The rubber grips everywhere are appreciated. The bevel lever and pre-set stops are great. Even the depth-of-cut guide is quite accurate. The led lights are a great bonus and are very effective even in total darkness. Oddly, they are on whenever the saw is plugged in, though led's do have a very long life, so this may be of little concern. All in all this saw is a pleasure to use, particularly for me as a left-hander--very easy to see the line-of-cut. I'm not sure why the complaint from another lefty in another review.

Where this package falls short is in the case, the rip guide, and the cord. The case is the same old generic case Makita has been using for all its sidewinders for years. The saw barely fits, and there's virtually no room for blade storage--2 blades max. I like to have beater blades, new blades, masonry blades, finish blades all in the case. As for the rip fence, it's pretty minimal. The arm is so short that its max rip is a measly 7 or 8 inches. Also, the most you can rip to the right of the blade is 3", and the least you can rip to the left is 3 5/8". The range in between is missing altogether. The hook which allows the fence to slide in under the saw's sole plate should be bent slightly longer to allow you to shove it all the way over, tighten the nut, and rip an accurate 3 1/2"--handy for plywood filler strips for 2x4 framing. Lastly, even though the saw is double-insulated and doesn't require a three-prong cord, it should have one. Even if the ground prong is a dummy prong, it sure helps any tool stay plugged into an extension cord. Hopefully, Makita will figure this stuff out. I should send these comments to the company. Buy the saw anyway. It's a great one.
on May 1, 2010
I have used nothing but the base model makitas and have loved them. I was in the market for a new saw and thought this would be the top of all circular saws. It is great for bevels, very easy to set an accurate angle. Depth adjustment is a snap. Always having the wrench on the saw is a big plus.

The only problem that I have is the guard. I don't know if all the saws have this problem but my guard is always giving me problems. It just doesn't want to ride up as I make a cut.
on December 24, 2009
This saw is feature laden: powerful, deep cutting, cast alloy foot (not stamped,) it blows sawdust out of the way (kind of,) and all the many features that have been highlighted in all the other reviews.

I particularly like 1) that the LEDs stay on as long as the saw is plugged in, and 2) there is only one power switch, not the usual power switch that has to be freed by pushing and holding a trigger lock. In awkward positions, I have had a hard time holding the blade guard back and getting to push the safety button. So, be careful those of you who are upgrading from a `two-button' saw because the trigger is live. It took a little getting used to relying on the LEDs being lit to remind me that there was no safety and to keep my finger off the trigger when positioning the saw for cutting.
on November 29, 2008
This Makita replaced a 20 year old Craftsman circular saw that had developed a bent arbor. I was impressed right out of the box. The depth and angle movements were smooth and easy to adjust. The magnesium base slides very nicely on the building material. Saw is a good weight - not tiresomely heavy, not cheap-y light.

I thought the LED light at the cutline was a gimmick and wouldn't be worth much - but let me tell you, in the fading light of day when I was trying to get those last pieces of siding cut and installed, that light was a fantastic bit of engineering!

I'm pleased and would recommend this saw.
on July 2, 2007
PROS-Plenty of power,smooth,and accurate. Auto stops on the most common bevels,easy to use adjustments all around. Used it to frame out a 16x20 storage building with 2x6's without any problems.

CONS- Would be nice if the case that it comes with was a bit better made. Still gave it 5 stars, at least it does come with a case.

OVERALL- If you need a good circular saw, put this one on your list.
on March 12, 2014
I had a Makita CS stolen recently and am forced to replace it.

I find this new one okay in terms of balance, smoothness etc but the base will not work for me.

One of the main ways I use a CS is with a guide cutting sheet goods. Before I bought this saw I hadn't really realized how short the side of the base is I would normally use with a cutting guide due to the angled cutaway to make the deptch adjustment easier to get at.

It's a dealbreaker for me and I would much rather have had the base fully rectangular.

Not sure what to buy now, probably either bosch or milwaukee. Bummer, as I am a Makita fan and own over a dozen other Makita electric tools from grinders to portable planers.

I was very sad to lose my Japanese made older Makita CS which suited me fine.
on June 20, 2012
This is my first REAL skil saw. I was previously using a battery powered Ryobi. Since I have gotten more into carpentry I needed a betetr saw. I have a friend who has been a carpenter for about 10 years now. He has an older makita model and swears by it all day long. I tried, and loved it. So I decided to splurge, and I'm glad I did. The weight is nice and it is well balanced. The factory blade that comes with it is also quite impressive. I've been cutting pressure treated 4x4's for the past few weeks, and the blade cuts through them like butter. The LED light is also a nice touch and I love the dust blowing "System". It's so nice to not have dust in your cutting path. The rubber grips feel good. The blade adjustments are easy. Comes with a good carrying case as well. My only complaint is that it should have a 3 pronged cord. Would make for a more secure connection.

This is a great saw and I'm looking to a long and happy life with it.

Thanks Makita

***UPDATE*** (4/10/2013)

After nearly a year of regular use with the factory blade, mainly cutting pressure treated lumber and 2x4's and 4x6's for framing, this saw is still going strong. I love it.