4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound...Clear the Air on Charger Issue
I received this radio as a freebie with the purchase of a Makita LI combo kit. I like the sound quality and sturdiness a lot. I would like to be able to add another source (CD or MP3), but there is no port to do so.

Published on July 13, 2007 by Jeff Shultz

3.0 out of 5 stars No charging
Other brands of jobsite radios charge batteries if the unit is plugged into AC. This one doesn't. Factor in the cost of an extra battery if you need all you've got and want to run this radio. An aux-in port would be nice. Sound is pretty good for the size of the radio and considering the side-facing speakers. FM reception is good.
Published on December 27, 2006 by W. Nicholls

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound...Clear the Air on Charger Issue, July 13, 2007
Jeff Shultz "Shultzy" (Wayzata, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Makita BMR100 Lithium-Ion Jobsite Radio (Tools & Home Improvement)

The tuner is great and the side firing speakers have great bass, better than even my Milwaukee. The Makita is sealed very well against dust etc. and seems ready to go a long time in harsh conditions. I can't attest to how well it does when dropped...I haven't had it hit the floor from 8'.

I asked a Makita Rep about the lack of a charger and discovered why Makita and Milwaukee do not include a charger with their radios. Dewalt has a patent (yes patent) on combining a radio with a battery charger. Bosch challenged this in court, lost the case and had to pay a seven figure sum to Black & Decker (parent company of Dewalt). Only Black & Decker can use the combination of a radio and battery charger, unless B&D chooses to let someone else use this design. Of course, they do not intend to let their major competitors use the design unless they pay a huge sum to Black & Decker.

If you want a jobsite or garage radio, this is a good one. The unit will run about 16 hours on a single battery charge. Just be sure to keep a battery charger in your bag if you need to recharge your Makita batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars know what you're buying, October 5, 2007
Joseph M. Cone (thibodaux, louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
i bought this along with a bunch of other makita 18V lithium ion tools. i knew before buying that it did not charge batteries and that it had no aux inputs. i bought it anyway because i was satisfied with having a good jobsite radio that did just what this one said it did. it works very well and is quite durable with good reception. i have chargers and i use them to charge my batteries. if you just have to have a radio with a charger..then don't buy this one and then complain about it. it's a good jobsite radio, and nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars well rounded radio with great sound, March 13, 2007
This is a great sounding radio for it's size!!! runs 16 hours on a 18V lithium battery. No it doesn't charge batteries. That's what a battery charger is for. It doesn't have an AUX port for a CD or a MP3 player. I would never use one of these on a jobsite anyway so I am still giving it 5 stars. Best work radio I have seen or heard. Not too big with great sound!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great on-site radio, December 9, 2007
i agree with most of the reviews here. the charm of this beauty is that if you have other makita tools with batteries then they will fit this radio. it doesn't charge batteries but why should it? it would be a much bigger unit. by the by - it DOES have an AUX jack (contrary to what other reviewers have said). it is located in the rear compartment where the battery is inserted and is at the top of the compartment. and with the space that that compartment has you could have an MP3 player in there, protected from dust, water etc...

3.0 out of 5 stars No charging, December 27, 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Well built and durable, February 24, 2008
I bought this about a year and a half ago and so far it has held up great. I was fully aware when I bought it it did not charge batteries so I can't really point that out as a negative. The one negative I have encountered is the ac adaptor. The end on mine broke after only a few weeks and I wasn't able to find an aftermarket replacement. On the positive side, I just put in a fresh battery about once a week and I never have to worry about a cord. I like how compact it is and it just feels tough. The tuner is great and the sound is superb. I would definately recommend this as a great jobsite radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio...still could've been better., April 26, 2007
I picked up this radio because of its "Cool Looks', and it matches my makita tools. I like the compact size, stereo sounds are strong, and nice lighted screen, and the alarm options and dual battery type is a big plus.

However, too bad its not a charger! I also notice a little extra space in the main battery compartment, has anyone tried to use that space as an extra battery holder? (I managed to tightly squeeze a second battery in there... hmmm).

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic sounding radio with dual auxiliary inputs!!!!, March 13, 2014
I own the white model which apparently has different specifications than the blue model that most people here are reviewing. My white model has not only an auxiliary input in the rear compartment/top left side but also a second auxiliary input on the front lower left just below the tuning/volume knob! The rear input is perfect in dusty or wet conditions because you can insert your iPod or iPhone inside the compartment and it is completely protected from the elements! I can listen to Pandora or any of the FM radio apps that provide stations from all over the country as well as all of the music content stored on the device itself! This Makita radio offers outstanding sound quality with bass response that is far superior to what would be expected of speakers this size. I must assume the cabinet interior acoustic design and the side firing speakers explain this unusually high sound quality. The radio itself is built like the proverbial "Sherman Tank" and I can't imagine destroying it unless I accidentally run over it with my truck. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this item to anyone needing a great sounding and sturdy work site radio. The quality can't be beat for this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome radio, September 23, 2008
Makita never dissapoints! The radio has amazing sound from the two side mounted speakers. It is a very rugged, well made design with outstanding battery life. Tuning and volume are excellent and quite easy due to the single control. I dont see why anyone complains about the A/C adapter. When you are not using it (most of the time), put it in a drawer and it wont be damaged! The radio is priced well below dewalt, milwaukee, etc. No, it doesnt charge the battery but big deal, only Makita tool owners will purchase the radio and of course have battery chargers. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, November 14, 2008
I recieved my radio today and put it to the test right away. I played the heck out of it while doing exterior renovations to my home. I cannot believe how great it sounds. I have always used cheap store bought standard AM/FM radios and they sounded like it too. This thing plays like a much more expensive set - - - great bass. No, it will not charge batteries nor will it make your coffee for you but if you just need a good sounding radio to listen to while you hit your finger with a hammer, than this is the radio.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›