5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased
Published on February 16, 2011 by RTULLOCH

2.0 out of 5 stars can't cut square
First off, thanks for the free radio, love it.

Published on May 25, 2010 by Alan J. Baima

2.0 out of 5 stars can't cut square, May 25, 2010
This review is from: Makita LS1016LX1 10-Inch Dual-Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser and Bonus 18-Volt LXT FM/AM Job-Site Radio (Tools & Home Improvement)
First off, thanks for the free radio, love it.

As for the saw I am very unhappy. Out of the box the saw would not cut square across the entire cutting capacity. I removed the sub-fence in an effort to square the fence to the table and it got close but not exact. The sub-fence was adjusted all the way to rear right side of the saw and still the saw was off a degree over 10". Without anymore adjustment I don't see how the saw would ever cut square? Also there are some wing nut adjustments on the rear of the sub-fence, can't figure out what they do, but they never stay tight.

The motor is great, plenty of power and the soft start is a good feature. The size and weight of the saw are also great. The double sliding set-up is strange at first but once you are cutting with the saw you get used to it. Also the locking handle takes some getting used to, but also works well after awhile.

Overall the saw is a great design, but poorly made? I had a sub on-site with the same saw, he was also unhappy. Never been let down by Makita before, maybe they will work out the kinks for the next model year. Makita LS1016LX1 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser with Bonus 18-Volt LXT FM/AM Job Site Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, February 16, 2011
I am a newer shop teacher in Alaska and I was able to get free shipping on this tool. What an Awesome VALUE!!! I got this same set cheaper than my brother in MT from a business going out of business. After getting it, everything worked fabulously. It is nice for students, not as scary and loud as older models. I love the laser. However, we don't do very much precision work and I've never checked how precise it is. Vistors to the shop also love it and are looking to get one similar next time they purchase a saw. Sweet Sweet Value for Alaskan's! As a side note, it is pretty tough there have been a few minor incidents of kickbacks and wood not properly clamped as is bound to happen and nothing is broken yet.