Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mallomars are my favorite cookie. But mail ordering them has its problems.

I love the combination or dark chocolate, marshmallow, and cookie that is a Mallomar. The taste combination is wonderful. Like Oreo sandwich cookies, aficionados tend to develop ritualistic ways of eating them. Do you nibble off the chocolate dome? You do bit through all three layers? Do you pull off the cookie bottom first? Any way you eat it, Mallomars are a great cookie.

Ordering them mail order is not the best way to get them. They are a fragile cookie and are very temperature (heat and cold) sensitive. The ones I received were fresh, but a little banged up. The slight white coating on the chocolate typically means they were subject to cold. They were not melted at least. Melting kills a Mallomar, which is why they are not sold during the warmer months.

If you can't find them locally (they are seasonal and regional), then ordering them makes sense. Otherwise, it's best to buy them locally.
on November 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having these makes me feel like a kid again. I remember in the fall searching the grocery store waiting for them to come out again. The stores did not carry them in the summer because the chocolate would not hold up. I don't know about now, maybe they have come up with a way to sell them in the summer or not. I was very happy to get these at Amazon. The cookies were a little crumbled from the shipping like it had been thrown around. but that is not the cookies fault...they were still yummy.
the graham cracker like cookie is great (not to much not to little) the marshmallow is large enough and melts in your mouth. The chocolate is like heaven and is perfect.
While it may not be for everyone this is the ultimate cookie in my opinion!!
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Every time I bite into a Nabisco Mallomars Pure Chocolate cookie, I feel like I am eight years old again and back on what was my regular everyday staple diet of Mallomars, Twinkies and Dairy Queen ice cream.

(Thank goodness, when I was growing up, we didn't obsess about "health" since we were just carefree, junk-food eating kids. NOTE: It seems, too, that my generation, who grew up in the 70s, died young from drug addiction, and NOT from poor junk food diets!)

Anyway, my brain wanted to outweigh my heart intoxicated from nostalgia and say, "Hey, this stuff isn't so good for you ... how can it be? It's loaded with sugar, high fructose corn syrup AND corn syrup and, yes, artificial flavor."

Yuk. Three stars or less.

But, hey, a Mallomar has that just-right crunch cookie and pillowy soft topping and, oh, that chocolate ... ecstasy for the mouth, and who cares about the toxic ingredients when we're talking a great escape by overdosing on emotional eating. Yummy! Folks have been indulging on this cookie for 90 years and going strong; just wonder why consumers outside the Big Apple region, who are 70 percent of the Mallomar regulars, haven't been more enthusiastic about this ultimate comfort staple? Anyway, I just don't have the heart to rank it any less than five stars -- to me one is never enough `cause a Mallomar is always a Mallo-more, plllllease!

Stacy Lytwyn Maxwell, Journalist/Teacher/Motivational Speaker
Author: CONSUMMATE CONNECTICUT: DAY TRIPS WITH PANACHE
Not bad. Not bad at all! These cookie are a real blast from my past, being a graham cracker base, with light, whipped marshmallow, and covered in delicious dark chocolate. Indeed, they are a blast from everybody's past having been introduced in 1913!

They are very delicious, and much better than other marshmallow cookies that I have tasted. I like that the marshmallow is nice and light and whippy, and I think that the dark chocolate goes much better with the rest of the ingredients that milk chocolate does. Yeah, it's a great cookie, and I highly recommend it!
VINE VOICEon November 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yes these are my favorites from years ago as a kid in New York City. Originally made by Nabisco according to the history on the box, enjoyed for 90 tears, now made by Kraft foods. These are a graham cracker like cookie, topped with marshmallow and covered in a chocolate crust. A real treat and 2 cookies are 120 calories with 45 from fat. So if you like Some-Mores, you will like these cookies. Only complaint is I hope that Amazon will take more care with the packaging. My box came with a few cookies broken.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I remember eating Mallomars as a child. It was a delicious treat then as it is now. The sweet chocolate coating over the cookie base with the soft marshmallow center is heavenly.

The problem is that a serving size is two cookies and that's 120 calories or 3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. I can't stop at two cookies. Once I start eating them, I want the whole box. Maybe that's why my mother stopped bringing them home when I was a kid.
on May 4, 2012
Although the product is as tasty as it ever was, However, just because it is "out of season", it was outrageous to charge $1.50 more per box, PLUS shipping.I admit the price was listed, so it came as no surprise. Since it was a fun father's day gift for my husband, I gave in to the highway robbery. At least, HE was happy!
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yes, C is for cookie, but Mmmm is for Mallomars, and that's good enough for me! I used to love to eat Mallomars when I was a kid growing up in New York City. I hadn't had one for years--probably decades--till I ordered a box through Amazon.

Look, it's not whole grain, it's not nutritious, it doesn't have pomegranate juice or açai--probably not even enough antioxidants from the dark chocolate covering to protect the heart of an amoeba. But it is good.

I decided that when I did my taste test, the first thing I would notice was whether it had a "pure chocolate" taste or not. After all, it's printed right there on the box: "Pure Chocolate Mallomars." I expected to get that chemical aftertaste of highly processed chocolate you often get in lower-priced products. I have to say it was a good, pure chocolate taste. I tasted the chocolate, I felt the familiar squish of the marshmallow in my mouth, I felt the slight crunch of the base-layer cookie, swirled it around in my mouth (little or no chewing necessary), and then gulped it down.

Not satisfied that I had actually done the taste test justice, I decided to try it again.

Same thing. Good tasting for a little snack. I had to try it just one more time just to make sure. Yep, it was still good the third time.

Recommended, but not nutritious. The one complaint I have is that about 4 or 5 of the cookies had split during shipping, somewhere along the way. The bottom wafer had come apart from the covered-marshmallow part, either mostly or entirely separated from the larger part of the snack. They should figure that one out. Although it still tasted good, I think people like to see their cookies intact when they open the package.
VINE VOICEon November 14, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I receive a product via the Vine Program, I consider not just the product itself but the selling of it here on Amazon. Usually this isn't an issue but with food it can be an important consideration. This is the case for this Mallomars.

I remember Mallomars back from my years in NYC and these tasted better than my memories of them. The marshmallow was soft and sweet but not overly so. The cookie was a bit bland and easily separated from the rest of the treat. The chocolate seemed to be on the darker side even though it was labeled "sweet" on the ingredients list.

However, these 18 cookies also came broken and damaged from their shipment via Amazon. Several were simply separated into bottom graham section and top marshmallow section, it was so obvious through the unopened clear plastic. Several also had signs of fat bloom which happens when chocolate is not stored under proper temperatures; it looks like a discolored section, generally much lighter than other chocolate. A lot of folks say it doesn't taste different but I think it has a slight grainy texture and a less cocoa flavor.

If you like marshmallows, graham cookies, and chocolate, you should check these out but only if you buy them in a store you know will house them properly until you get them. At that point it will be up to you to prevent either fat or sugar bloom.
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mallomars, a cookie I remember from my childhood and have not had one in many years; I enjoyed them as well as a lot of other cookies and was looking forward to opening this package when it arrived.
First impression on opening the box was the appearance. It did not look too appetizing at first glance. The dark chocolate coating was spotted over 50 percent with a tan color, not the deep dark chocolate color shown on the outer cover of the box. About every third cookie had separated the cracker part from the creamy half. And about a quarter of them sported cracked tops with the white showing through. Like everything else nowadays, the cookie is smaller than the original I remember.
So far, not too appetizing, but hey, I eat broken cookies all the time, however the spotted coating reminded me of candy that was improperly stored.
So I popped one in my mouth.
My first impression as I chewed a Mallomars cookie. A very sweet treat just like I remembered from years ago. Despite the discoloration the chocolate flavor was acceptable but not that rich dark chocolate taste my mouth was watering for from the picture on the box. The cracker portion was dry but soon combined with the marshmallow filling while chewing. After three I found them too sweet to have more at one sitting.
Overall, the taste was a four star. However, appearance of food is a big part of eating and tasting. The box of Mallomars I received did not make the cookie appear appetizing. If I had purchased it in a store I would have returned it.
Overall I can only give it 3 stars.