4.0 out of 5 stars Try pillows out BEFORE you purchase!
Published on February 3, 2012 by D. Chou

3.0 out of 5 stars The search continues
In my quest for "the one" I have purchased three versions of these talalay pillows by Z. I liked the firmness of the high loft plush but the loft was a bit low. Tried the high loft firm next and the loft was almost perfect but it was too firm for my taste. So I ordered this one hoping it would split the difference. It did not, and after a couple months of...
Published 14 months ago by Kimberly L. Tabickman

4.0 out of 5 stars Try pillows out BEFORE you purchase!, February 3, 2012
This review is from: Z by Malouf Duo-Latex Two-Sided Talalay Latex Plush and Firm Pillow
Over the years I've purchased many different types of pillows to try to alleviate my chronically tight/stiff neck (developed from years of straining my neck when riding my road bikes and weight training). Types of pillow tried include generic fiber filled, 100% goose down filled, and the one I've used for the last 5 years: Carpenter Perfect Zone Side Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow which was the best so far. However, the Carpenter pillow had gradually lost its loftiness over time (small lumps detaching) so some of my tight/stiff neck symptoms returned.

In January 2012, I purchased this Z by Malouf Duo-Latex Two-Sided Talalay Latex Plush and Firm Pillow, QUEEN, and a Z by Malouf 100% Natural Talalay Latex Zoned Pillow, QUEEN-High Loft-Firm to complement the new California King Celebrity 13-Inch Pillow Top w/5.5" Memory Foam Mattress purchased a few weeks earlier. We tried out the different types of pillows at local department stores prior to purchase.

Likes:
>The Talalay Latex pillows are simply outstanding: supports the head and neck like countless small springs without excessive sagging like fiber, down, and memory foam pillows.
>Latex feels light/"springy" while memory foam feels heavy/"doughy":sinks down without springing back immediately. Fiber and Down pillows just get squished with no rebound.
>The Two-Sided pillow is about 6" high and fits my gal perfectly (she's 5'6", 125lbs. side/back/stomach sleeper with long neck and narrow width shoulders).
>The Two-Sides are difficult to differentiate with one side slightly "springier" than the other depending on personal preference.
>The High Loft Firm is about 7" high and fits me better (5'10", 145lbs. side/back sleeper with long neck and medium width shoulders).
>Works great in combination with the Celebrity memory foam mattress to minimize tight/stiff neck and lower back soreness.
>EXTREMELY comfortable: I haven't had this much REM (deep/dreams) sleep before. This means more quality rest time; 6 hours to feel refreshed rather than the usual 8.
>Great pricing from Amazon vendor ($40.99 at time of review); department stores prices cost over twice as much).
>* 5 year warranty (shown on this product page and on packaging).

Dislikes:
>Some slight chemical odors when new; I aired them out in the guest room for one day and no noticeable obnoxious fumes the next day.
>The "springiness" of both the Two-sided and High Loft Firm pillows seemed to have decreased over a month's use but it could be just we're getting accustomed to the feel/support.
>Unknown long term durability and maintaining "springiness".

***Update Sept. 27, 2013. This pillow still feels firm and provides good support on both sides after one year and 8 months.

Bottom Line:
These Talalay Latex pillows are like "air hammocks" for excellent head/neck support and instantly springs back when not in use.
Make sure to try out the different pillow types (high/low loft, firm/plush or two-sided, etc.) prior to purchase because everyone's physical build and support requirements are different!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you can ever find, March 7, 2013
This an incredible comfortable pillow , i bought it for my father , he is 80 , he had recently trouble sleeping on his old pillow , so i decided to buy him a new one , i did a lot of research about pillows , i was confused as everyone i guess , between firm and plush , latex and foam , simply i found this pillow which has a good review , and has double sides , one is firm and 2nd is plush , so i thought thats it , and i wasn't wrong , my dad loved it , he sleeps now all night without moving much , i highly recommend this particular model of Z pillows .

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, February 4, 2012
I love that this pillow has 2 sides, one more firm than the other. Depending on the night, my mood & position, I can always find a comfy place to rest my head. Quality product! Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed entire sleep experience for the better, May 24, 2013
D. Vallero (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This pillow, believe it or not, has actually reduced my back stiffness in the morning. It has also caused me to be less restless at night. I was previously using down or down alternative pillows which I would need to wake up and re-smash to give the amount of pillow I needed to remain comfortable. I found when I woke up it was normally because I was in a side-sleeping position and my head was not lofty enough to keep my neck comfortable.

Initially, the goal of purchasing this pillow was to support my head in the side-sleeping position to avoid waking up to re-fluff my pillow; however, the pillow has actually encouraged my body to remain in a back-sleeping position. I rarely wake up at night, and when I do I find that it is because I have somehow moved my head to an edge of the pillow and am on my side. Most nights, though, I stay on my back all night.

Pros:
Increased quality of sleep
Decreased waking up in the night
No noticeable odor (as other users have indicated)

Cons:
Price - however, if the pillow lasts as long as it is supposed to, this pillow will actually save money over purchasing $10-$20 multiple times a year.

Bottom Line:
If you are a pillow fluffer and/or smasher, you will destroy other pillows. Not only does this pillow hold up to that kind of abuse and pop right back into shape, it may even eliminate the need to smash it at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pillow, January 23, 2012
Just my 10 cents worth on this pillow.
After many,many pillows and all types I finally found what looks like is going to be the winner and that is this latex pillow!
I researched on line and the latex pillow gets high ratings and after wasting a lot of money I finally sprung for this pillow and am glad I did, This pillow is soft on one side and firm on the other and comes in a very soft removable cover.
This is not a extremely high loft pillow and those are available also in plush or firm.
The latex smell never bothered me but if will air out in a few days time.
I am glad I found this pillow from the supplier that I got it from as it was on sale and priced right to bite the bullet and buy a quality pillow and received good service also!
Try it and you will not be sorry and take that from a person who has a closet full of flat and short lasting pillows!

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial thought: Excellence!, April 25, 2014
The pillows arrived in a mostly secure, but poorly taped box. No issues. Each pillow was individually housed in a ziplock carry-case and each pillow was already fastened into their respective Z-malouf pillow covers. Pillow covers are soft and luxurious, but I recommend putting them inside yet another pillow case to preserve their quality and the pillows' quality inside that.

On to the pillow. The pillows themselves are just like I thought and wanted them to be: One side is firm, the other side is plush-firm. It's hard to tell exactly which side your looking at until you lay down. Once you're laying down in your natural sleeping position you'll notice that the firm side keeps your head more buoyant, on top of the pillow with a spring like quality. The other plush-firm side allows for more sinking into the pillow. So, this pillow caters to most users desires. What's more they run cool and support the neck very well (for me the firmer side supports my heavy head better and thus keeps my neck aligned comfortably).

Everything is detailed with quality marks of craftsmanship, including the packaging. Also, the 5 year warrant is marked on piece of cardboard-paper inside of the pillow carry case, as well as on the sewn into the seams of the pillow.

Lastly, my wife immediately turned the pillows a couple times and decided, with a smile, that the plush side is her happy place. We both are thoroughly impressed having come from A set of memory foam, doughy pillows, and feather down. The other pillows seem to pale in comparison. I will update come september, and then at the end of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great night sleep, with some catches, April 3, 2014
The Mrs and I needed new pillows, so we splurged and got these. So far, we both love them

We like that they spring back (don't need fluffing, or go flat). I regularly fold my pillows in half to prop myself up, then fold it flat to sleep. Regular pillows would get creases or bunched up, this handles it like a champ. Not sure if it's the air holes, material, or what, but it seems to be more comfortable temperature wise.

Latex has a very different feel than a traditional pillow, so you'll probably either love it or hate it. Lots of people comment on latex pillows being "heavy." While this is heavier than a feather down, it's not really by *THAT* much. I personally like a slightly heavier pillow, as it stays in place better.

Now for the down sides.

The whole "two-sided" part is pretty much a gimmick. Save your money, and buy a slightly cheaper latex pillow that's not two sided. Supposedly one side is "plush" while the other is "firm"....if by "plush" you mean my head sinks a few millimeters further into the pillow than the "firm" side. It's the difference between my nose touching the pillow or my nose *ALMOST* touching the pillow (when laying on my side). I was rather disappointed as I was hoping for a significant difference between the two. I didn't see anywhere listed the loft of the pillow. I would consider this a medium loft, that is fairly firm.

One final point, is the smell. The smell of latex doesn't bother me, but even after having these a few weeks we can still smell it. At this point it's mostly when the pillow gets squished and the air is pushed out of it. It's not overpowering, but if you were someone that really hates the smell of latex, I would suggest looking for something else, as I suspect the smell will never fully go away. After a few days we got used to it, and no complaints from either the Mrs or myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect large soft pillow, December 20, 2011
Amazingly soft pillow! The material is so soft and easy to snuggle into to go to sleep. I love that the cover can be easily removed and washed. The latex does need to air out a little before using, but after a day or two it was good to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pillow ever!, March 9, 2012
We recently purchased a Talalay latex foam mattress and decided to purchase pillows made out of the Talalay latex foam, as well. The mattress store had the pillows for twice the price of Amazon, so we decided to order them. We both love our pillows and to go back to just a regular pillow now would be impossible. When we travel, the pillows will go with us. I highly recommend the product and the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Firm Pillow, March 11, 2013
I purchased this pillow and the softer one, as well. I use them both during the night - swapping them out for a change. This is such a nice pillow. I can lay on my side for hours and not get a smushed ear ache. (you know what I mean).