4.0 out of 5 stars high loft vs low loft; firm vs plush

Published on February 25, 2012 by Ophelia

4.0 out of 5 stars high loft vs low loft; firm vs plush, November 5, 2011
Products bought: king high loft plush, king low loft firm, king low loft plush
Sleepers #1: 5'3" side sleeper; Sleeper #2: 5'11" back/side combination sleeper

High loft vs low loft: The low loft version is much thinner than the high loft one. According to Malouf's website, the low loft version is between 4 and 5 inches thick. The high loft version is more than 7 inches thick. Both my husband and I think the high loft is too high. We have a Tempurpedic memory foam bed. If your bed is firmer, the thickness of the pillow may bother you less. But I developed a neck pain in the middle of the night due to the misalignment of my head and body. My husband did not have any pain with the high loft. But he did not feel comfortable either. I think the high loft model is for side sleepers with broad shoulders and a relatively firm mattress.

The low loft fits us much better, although I hope it is half inch thicker. One reviewer of the regular (non-zoned) Malouf memory foam pillow commented the zoned high loft was too high, the low loft too low so he chose the non-zoned low loft version. This made me think that the non-zoned low loft memory foam pillow was slightly thicker than the zoned model. Being a perfectionist, I also bought the non-zoned low loft version just to try it out. I have to say that the zoned version is much more comfortable than the non-zoned version. I did not feel the non-zoned version was thicker either. It was harder for sure, not as plush.

Plush vs Firm: With my hand, I cannot tell much difference between the low loft plush and low loft firm. They both feel soft and cushy. The plush model feels actually a little firmer than the firm model. However, after sleeping on them over night, my head seems to be able to discern the difference. I routinely get outer ear ache after sleeping on firm pillows. That was my main complaint of all the Tempurpedic pillows I own. I developed similar ear ache after sleeping on the low loft firm pillow, but not on the low loft plush. So looks like the plush is indeeded softer even if my hand does not feel so.

The odor: These pillows had the strongest chemical odor among all the memory foam pillows I bought. I own six different Tempurpedic pillows and other memory foam pillows from Sleep Innovations and Iso Cool. None of them ever emitted such strong odor even when first being used. The good thing is that the odor will eventually disappear.

Overall, these Z by Malouf zoned memory pillows are excellent products, esp. considering they are so reasonably priced. King sized Tempurpedic pillows cost $150+. These pillows offer greater comfort with a fraction of what Tempuredic costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars "ZzzzzzzzzzzzZ" - Oh, shucks overslept again, September 14, 2011
Two of these exceedingly fine and extremely pleasurable pillows in king high loft/firm were purchased at the same time as a new Sleep Innovations 12 inch memory foam Cal King mattress and a Malouf HIGHRISE Cal King platform bed frame.

Service and shipping by Amazon.com and LinenSpa were great. Everything arrived within 2 business days. I still can't believe the absolutely huge external carton that these pillows came in followed by additional boxes for each individual pillow inside. Overall, this was almost packaging overkill, but then it's better to have too much protection rather than too little.

Everything works wonderfully well together. The combination of a memory foam mattress and memory foam pillows is certainly the way to go for a good night's sleep. No more innerspring mattresses with box spring foundations for me!

The pillows are pure sleeping pleasure immediately upon first use; there is no break-in period whatsoever needed to achieve the desired comfort level. A mild/non-irritating chemical smell that was present initially dissipated in a few days time and is now only a distant memory

It's great that each pillow comes with its own white zippered cover in soft velour (additional protection for the memory foam itself), but most people I imagine will still be using a standard pillow case on top of this. I know that's what I am doing.

The pillows certainly are properly named, since catching some more "ZzzzzzZs" is what I would prefer to be doing in the morning now that I have received these bundles of joy upon which to rest my weary head.

Purchase one or more of these pillows in the loft/firmness combination of your choosing and sleep tight - you really will.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION

1) Some customer reviews on Amazon.com for this same pillow by Malouf (the non-zoned dough memory foam model) have frequently mentioned that the plush model is actually significantly firmer than the firm model. I can't personally confirm that this is true, but you may want to consider this when making your pillow selection. Perhaps this is a problem that this model - the zoned pillow - does not have?

2) There is a 2 inch difference in height between the low loft and high loft versions of this pillow (4-5 inches versus 6-7 inches, according to Malouf online information). Ultimately, the decision between low and high loft is a subjective one; it must be made on the basis of personal preference. I chose the high loft version myself in the expectation that the pillows would very likely become somewhat less lofty during long-term use.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOW LOFT Plush Purchased (See my 5 posted pics) Attn: Side Sleepers!, February 25, 2012
Ophelia (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
**Notes from a SIDE SLEEPER***

I purchased the (Queen) LOW LOFT Plush, and I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this purchase. First off, the Zoned Dough pillow is pretty comfortable, but it misses the mark when it comes to the "ideal" pillow. According to the company's posted pictures, the HIGH LOFT looks a lot "thicker" than the LOW LOFT, so I opted for the LOW LOFT because I didn't want headaches in the morning or a stiff neck. After purchasing the LOW LOFT, I felt I had to post a few pictures of what the LOW LOFT really looks like (from another perspective) so you can make a more informed decision. : )

As a side sleeper, I didn't initially select the HIGH LOFT pillow option because it looked TOO HIGH in the photos. But I must say, the HIGH LOFT would have been a better choice. The company's photos are a bit deceiving, (as you can see by *my pics* of the LOW LOFT). Whether you choose the "SOFT or FIRM", is a personal preference.

****My final opinion is this:****

LOW LOFT----- Is probably most the ideal for STOMACH SLEEPERS & back sleepers!
HIGH LOFT---- Is probably a better option for SIDE SLEEPERS. (which I won't bother trying because I'm sure it's "too high" (if the low is too low)

(FIRM OR PLUSH options once again would be up to you)

***LASTLY, for SIDE SLEEPERS---After going to Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I bout 2 AMAZING Pillow options worth checking out***
My favorite~
1. INDULGENCE by Isotonic *Side Sleeper Pillow* (Std /same size as Queen $39 OR King $59)
2. Swedish Symphony Pillow (by Tempurpedic) (Std $100 or Queen $129)

I hope this review helps someone....I know it can be costly finding the right pillow that works best for you! Especially if you have neck problems like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZZZZZING PILLOW!!!, August 26, 2011
I purchased two pillows from this company: this one (Zoned Memory Foam) and the Talalay Latex Queen High Plush. I can't decide which one I like better...they are both OUT OF THIS WORLD, DIVINE, HEAVENLY pillows!! I am a pillow perfectionist...Goldilocks and the Princess and the Pea...I am extremely sensitive to different pillows and very particular about what I sleep on. I have searched for years to find the perfect pillow, going through many and ending up giving them to other family members or throwing them in the closet. So I saw the raving reviews on Amazon for the Talalay Zoned Queen high plush and decided to try it. I was flabbergasted! I slept like an baby and LOVE my new pillow. I called the company (Malouf) to ask a few questions and found out that they have a new pillow that just came out less than a week ago (this Zoned Memory Foam pillow). His description of it made me think that it would be even more perfect for me (if that were possible), so I decided to order it. I just got it and am AMAZED and totally thrilled over this pillow!! I know it may sound funny to get so excited about a pillow (LOL) but unless you are as fussy and sensitive about pillows like I am, you would not be able to relate. I can't describe how WONDERFUL this pillow is!

The Talalay Z Queen Plush is like laying on a cloud....soooo soft and with gentle support....ummmmm. This Zoned Memory Foam is like laying in a big tub of soft, mushy dough. It is a little more support than the Talalay plush pillow, but in a different way...very difficult to describe. They both support your head wonderfully, but the Talalay is a softer, cloud-like pillow whereas this one is a more bouncy, dough-like consistency. There is a very faint odor...not offensive at all. I don't know which one I will prefer...I'll probably sleep on one pillow one night and the other the next...LOL. It's pillow heaven! No one can beat Malouf for making the BEST most COMFORTABLE and luscious pillows!

Now I don't want to get out of bed and leave my AMAZING and HEAVENLY pillows in the morning, and I actually can't wait to go to bed at night! LOL...If you have any doubt about trying either of these two pillows, please don't take another minute...just BUY ONE and try it--you too will be amazed and so glad you did! I am probably going to order another one of these AND another Talalay pillow as well for extras and family members. I have become a pillow fanatic, thanks to Malouf!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Landed!! But, With New Info!, October 1, 2011
K. Kurtz "weary traveler" (Wilder, ID United States) - See all my reviews
Fifty plus years of pillow searching, and I have landed! I ordered the high loft because another "petite" reviewer recommended it, and I thank her! Years ago, I was rear-ended while stopped at a light in a little hatchback. The resulting injury to my neck and shoulder has proved difficult to heal and forces me to sleep with a "perfect" pillow. This is it. The cover provided is much better quality than some "pedic" brands and hints at the full five years of sleeping on this.
After using this pillow for several evenings, I've decided the high loft is a little too high for me, and have donated it to my husband who uses two pillows! I have re-ordered the pillow in low-loft plush.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, September 18, 2011
rhonda l (Tampa Florida) - See all my reviews
I ordered 3 pillows, including this pillow in queen sized high loft and low loft. I assumed that I would need the low loft since I am a side-sleeper and only 5'2"...however it seemed too flat for me, and I ordered the high loft after a week with the low loft, and it feels AWESOME! It does have the smell, and after a week it has substantially faded but still smells a bit. I can deal with it because I am sound asleep :) The third pillow was the Malouf shredded/gel pillow and that one had almost no smell and acts like a down pillow. It is also an awesome pillow which I used for a week and now use as my back up pillow when I sleep on my tummy, but I prefer the firmer support while sleeping on my side. I love having the two perfect pillows on my bed!

Edit: December 29 2013. Just wanted to add an update to my review. These pillows are STILL like brand new (minus any residual smell). Super comfortable, super supportive. I take them on vacation with me because using another pillow is just...a pain in the neck! :) It's been well over 2 years and they are used every night. Hope that helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pillow for the money, October 16, 2012
I have been on the hunt for the perfect pillow that provides neck support as well as comfort. The Z pillow comes in so many different variations it hard to decide which one to purchase. I have spent the last two weeks trying a majority of these pillows and will try to help you in your pillow purchase. The first thing you need to decide is whether to get a high loft or low loft. In my opinion
there are 2 major factors when deciding the loft, broad shoulders and/or you have a firm bed. If both of these apply to you then the high loft will probably be the one for you. If you have a bed that sinks in due to memory foam, the high loft may be too high. Unfortunately, they only have a low and a high loft and I know for a lot of us that a medium loft would be perfect( they are currently working on this one, so I am told). That being said, I will describe those pillows which I have tried:

-High loft plush Talalay zoned

It is a high pillow, but feels very soft (simliar to down) vs the feel of memory foam. Your head will sink into the pillow quite a bit but that being said, it does provide neck support but not as much as the dough memory pillows.

-Low loft firm Talalay zoned

This pillow is very firm with not much give. You will definitely feel the neck support.

-Low loft plush Talalay zoned

Very thin. Your head will hit the bed. Not much support.

-Low Loft firm Dough zoned

Firmer than the Talalay low loft. My favorite. It has good neck support, but another 1/2inch of height would be ideal. This is a low pillow so those with broad shoulders will not like this one.

-Low loft plush Dough non zoned

This one depresses slower than the zoned. As you move your head, the memory foam needs a few seconds to conform to your head. Has a heavier feel. It does provide great neck support, but feels a bit firm.

-Low loft firm Dough non zoned

This never made it out of the plastic wrapping. Hard as a rock.

-Duo pillow

This one has one side Talalay and ther other dough. Too high for me. The dough side was softer than the Talalay but there is not much give.

Overall, well made pillows. Have tried all kinds of pillows from bed bath beyond, kohls, etc and these are the best for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, October 12, 2011
This is an incredibly comfortable pillow that has transformed my night's sleep. I'm a big guy, stomach sleeper and frequently woke up with numb arm/shoulders. I bought this pillow in the hope that I could fix these issues - and they did. I've used it for a week now and feel just great. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pillow, amazing price, September 13, 2011
We purchased a new memory foam mattress and I decided it was time to get rid of my nasty feather pillows. My husband wanted to stay with his feather pillow.
I did a search of many pillows and decided on the Z Zoned Dough Memory Foam. I made my initial purchase of 2 for myself and let my husband try one. He immediately loved it and I ordered 2 more (we like 2 pillows each on our bed).
I also ordered 2 more and sent them to my son who lives out of our state as a gift.
The pillows are large and luxurious. I am very impressed with the quality of the washable cover. They do not sleep hot and are perfectly firm enough for us. We have only had them for a few weeks but they spring right back into shape. When you place your head on the pillow you feel comfortable immediately and don't have to wait for or feel a sinking sensation.
Great product at a great price. Highly recommend. We have a king size bed and ordered the king size pillows with high loft. The pillows are true to size and fill my pillowcases perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Pillows - I am in Love (King - Zoned Memory Foam - Low Loft Plush x2), September 15, 2011
I read the other reviews and had to own 2 of these pillows. They do have a bit of an odor but it goes away mostly after a few days. I have been sleeping less restlessly and I feel so much better in the morning. No more stiff neck etc. I would highly advise getting these pillows especially while they are at 70% ish off. I have purchased $120 a pop king sized pillows before and these are normally $170 a pop for king sized but selling for $40 ish dollars. I would have paid the regular price if I had previous experience with these pillows. Even through a friend or at a store. But it's so much harder to say yeah Ill buy that $170 pillow when you can't touch it. But it would be the best decision ever. Well I can only say that for my Low Loft Plush Pillows. But if they are even half as good in the other ones they are still worth every penny. I sleep on my stomach and their site suggested the low loft plush. Side sleepers it says low loft firm in which they don't have any on Amazon Currently. Back Sleepers it is suggested to use the High Loft Firm. For back and side sleepers they have a duel sided pillow located [...]

Good luck pillow shopping. I hope you make the right choice and buy one of these pillows. This is the only brand I plan on buying from, from now on.