4.0 out of 5 stars Funtrack
This CD is a must-have just for the simple unadulterated pop culture value. This isn't one of those dramatic instrumental soundtracks with titles like "Wedding March" or "The Emperor is Dead", but instead is a lot of fun, especially for people who have grown up singing every word that ABBA ever wrote.

The eighteen songs (17 + hidden track) are all familiar...
Published on July 24, 2008 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Soundtrack
Published on July 8, 2008 by Antoine D. Reid

4.0 out of 5 stars Funtrack, July 24, 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)

The eighteen songs (17 + hidden track) are all familiar ABBA hits, and you'll find yourself singing along with the likes of Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Christine Baranski, Amanda Seyfried and others.

Some of these unlikely songbirds can actually carry a note (albeit not too far), and others will make you smile (You're a brave man Pierce), but there's no denying that this soundtrack would make a great stocking stuffer or just-because gift for your favorite baby boomer.

Tracks not to be missed (whether good or just rather ambitious) are:

"Honey, Honey" - Amanda Seyfried

"Mamma Mia!" - Meryl Streep

"Dancing Queen" - Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, and Julie Walters

"Our Last Summer" - Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, and Stellan Skarsgaard

"Lay All Your Love on Me" - Dominic Cooper and Amanda Seyfried

"Super Trouper" - Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, and Julie Walters

"SOS" - Pierce Brosnan and Meryl Streep

"Does Your Mother Know" - Christine Baranski and Philip Michael

"Take a Chance on Me" - Julie Walters and Stellan Skarsgaard

"I Have a Dream" / "Thank You for the Music" (Hidden Track) - Amanda Seyfried

Buy this for one just for fun

Amanda Richards, July 24, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have given this 5 stars, July 22, 2008
Eric J. McClellan "JT Williams Fan" (Youngstown, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Would have given this 5 stars without a doubt, except for those missing songs!!! I get REALLY tired of these marketing ploys that victimize customers. Now we all know that, in the near future, there will be an expanded edition of the soundtrack with the deleted songs and maybe some incidental music added as inticement. So ABBA fans, Meryl Streep fans, and fans of musical theater will shell out another 15 - 20 bucks to buy it. It angers me!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Soundtrack, July 8, 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Many know or are familiar with the music; "Mama Mia!" is all ABBA; fun, whimsical, outright blissful and enjoyable. The question is how does this movie soundtrack hold up? The answer is that it's pretty good. Right off hand, I felt some of the movie versions of these songs were a bit too campy and lacked the hard-to-capture spirit of the original. The songs where Pierce Brosnan sings on made me cringe, really taking me as a listener out of the song and making me feel thankful that he isn't featured on many songs. On the other hand, the Meryl Streep songs are actually really good. Her voice is well suited for the music, playing into the simplicity and able to capture the innocence and vibe of the songs.

For me, stand out tracks are "Our Last Summer", "Dancing Queen", "Lay All Your Love On Me", and the real stand-out on the soundtrack, "The Winner Takes It All" that features Meryl Streep really stretching her vocals. In all, it's an enjoyable soundtrack but it's always hard to rate this and not compare it to the original or even the broadway version. Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars missing a couple of songs from the movie..., July 19, 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Had the soundtrack before I saw the movie, and just saw the movie tonight, and off the top of my head, songs that are missing from the soundtrack are: Chiquitita, "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do" (although it plays a very minor role in the film) and Waterloo (sung during the encore performance). Of course, I'd still rather listen to the original flawless Abba recordings than this version, but it does more truly bring back memories of the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favorite Album! (Be Prepared to Sing Along), August 10, 2008
First off, I am 16 years old and before seeing the movie Mamma Mia, was not familiar with any of ABBA's songs except for Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen. I loved everything about the film from start to finish: the cast, setting, plot, and, of course, the catchy songs that can make 40 year old men want to sing along! I immediately went home and bought the whole CD, listening to it repeatedly. I adore each and every song, and the whole CD deserves to be purchased, not just certain songs. Amanda Seyfried, who is virtually unknown except for Mean Girls, has a simply beautiful voice. Although in interviews she said that she does not plan on pursuing a career in singing, I believe that she would be very successful if she did. I loved every single song she sang on the album, and am stunned that "The Name of the Game" was omitted from the movie. Meryl Streep proved that she can really do anything. Her voice is amazing. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. She brings so much emotion to the piece "The Winner Takes it All." It's simply breathtaking. Contradicting many other reviews, I thought all three men (Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, and Stellan Skarsgard) have wonderful voices. People keep saying that Pierce sounds horrible, but I don't know how they are making that assertion. He sings "SOS" and "When All is Said and Done" terrifically, in my opinion. Finally, Christine Baranski and Julie Walters harmonized perfectly with Meryl Streep in songs like "Super Trouper" and "Dancing Queen." Christine Baranski nails "Does Your Mother Know" and Julie Walters hits home with "Take a Chance on Me."
My Favorite songs from the album:
Honey, Honey
Mamma Mia
Dancing Queen
The Name of the Game
Slipping Through my Fingers (although not mentioned by many other reviewers, this has to be in my top 3 favorites. The song is really sad and moving, especially in the film--and the segment where Meryl and Amanda harmonize is outstanding)
Does Your Mother Know
SOS (LOVE IT)
The Winner Takes it All
I Have a Dream
Thank You for the Music (perfect completion to the album)

5.0 out of 5 stars SEX******No, SIX, not SEX ****** Yes, 6-STARS for Mamma Mia!, July 21, 2008
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
One star because it's a sexy comedy, it's a romantic story, it's a musical bonanza, and it's one of the best films for 2008, mark that down. Awards will come.

Star two, for the ABBA music. It is amazing how the writers have used the words of the famous ABBA songs and turned them into the plot and almost the complete story of "Mamma Mia!" Or did they change some of the words to fit the story? If you love ABBA music, this movie is a must. If you don't know about ABBA music, you'll want the DVD and the CD soundtrack by the time you leave the theater.

Star three, for...okay, it's a bit of a chick-flick. Lots of ladies doing a sterling performance. Meryl Streep will have you laughing off the theater seat at times. And Julie Walters and Christine Baranski, conspirators of the older trio of goofy gals are close behind the anticipated award lineup. Streep sings, dances, bounces on a bed, and even caulks with a caulking gun--does it all, and well. A second trio of young girls led by Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), try to out-shine the older trio in performing ABBA songs written likely prior to their birth. They leave the male viewers drooling in their popcorn. Yes, the male stars get their own chance with dancing and music. Regardless of who is the star performer for any given number, you listen and have to sing along, dance, laugh, or at least chuckle while toe tapping.

Star four represents the line dancing, chorus-line, or long pier choreography done first by a large ladies group and later another tune by men pier-dancing in flippers. Both ABBA numbers done over the inviting blue water's edge is worth the price of the movie. If "Mamma Mia!" DVDs were available at the exit door, everyone would be buying a copy on the way out.

Star five is for Greece and the setting for this dream of a wedding, as well as a perfect set for such a fantastic rendezvous with ABBA songs.

Star six is because "Mamma Mia!" has done with ABBA music, what "Yellow Submarine" did with Beatles music. Or because it is the first movie in recent years worth a theater return/rewatch while waiting for the DVD release. Can't wait? Try the soundtrack for appetizers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and marvelous -- at any age, August 17, 2008
Though I was never really an ABBA fan, I certainly knew who they were and I knew a few of their songs ("Dancing Queen", "Mamma Mia!", etc.) I knew when MAMMA MIA! hit the stage that it was based on the songs of ABBA but never saw it.

When I saw the movie trailer, though, I thought: This is going to be good. And I promised myself I wouldn't miss it.

I have now seen the film three times (in 10 days); my husband has seen it twice; and my two sons (ages 13 and 10) just saw it with us. And we ALL loved it. (My 10-year-old asked me anxiously, WHILE he was watching it, if we could PLEASE buy the DVD ... the day it comes out!)

It's the first time I've felt joyous in a movie since GREASE in 1978. I'd forgotten that movies were supposed to feel this good -- but MAMMA MIA! reminded me in a rush.

Meanwhile, though, I bought CD to tide me over. And it's WONDERFUL.

I usually have a preference for soundtracks of musicals over Broadway cast recordings, for one reason: The voices aren't always as good, but the orchestrations are usually much richer and fuller (ex: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which had a 50-piece orchestra for the show, had a 100-piece orchestra on the soundtrack -- yeah, it DOES make a difference!)

Here the orchestrations stuck close to the ABBA originals, but with, of course, far more voices on the choral numbers. And what amazes me, after playing the CD for over a week (yeah, night and day, just like other reviewers), is that I'm discovering new songs I really love, that I hadn't been as crazy about to start with.

I started out loving "Honey, Honey" (which I'd never heard before -- fantastic!), "Mamma Mia!" and "Dancing Queen" -- now I'm also in love with "Our Last Summer", "Super Trouper" and "Voulez-Vous", with "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" coming in for its own share of my attention.

My sons have added the songs to their mp3 players. My husband insisted I burn him a copy of the CD for his car. I've uploaded the score to my computer and the original CD is in MY car. And though I have a CD changer that holds 6 discs, this is the only one I'm playing ... and I suspect it will be for some time to come.

Meryl Streep has a fine voice, though not a strong one (not surprisingly, as she's not a professional singer). But she does full justice to her songs and dances in the film ... a bravura performance. I love Amanda Seyfried's voice -- she really has a singing future, if she wants one. And Julie Walters and Christine Beransky are terrific. I give Pierce Brosnan major points for doing something he's just not equipped to do, and giving it his best shot. Nice try, Pierce. And the other men, IMO, did just fine.

My only word of caution: If you tend to have an addictive personality, you might want to stay away from this CD. I won't be responsible for the many hours you'll lose singing and dancing along to this wonderful score ... after all, I warned you!

5.0 out of 5 stars MERYL THE DANCING QUEEN, July 15, 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Meryl Streep is a great American actor and now she has leaped feet-first into musical comedy and she is abba-solutely wonderful. Just by listening to her on this soundtrack it's obvious she is having the time of her life.

The London and Broadway show performed some of the songs as close as possible to ABBA(Dancing Queen-Super Trouper-Voulez-Vous and Mamma Mia)and happily the movie,with a few tweaks,has done the same.

"The Winner Takes It All" one of the few downbeat songs from ABBA does NOT belong in this tissue-thin,somewhat silly story, but Ms Streeps' plaintive and touching rendition MAKES it belong. I am sure Meryl Streep will not be over-looked at Oscar nomination time.

Just when you are about to throw your arms up in exasperation at vocally challenged Pierce Brosnan, he sneaks in with "When All Is Said And Done" and it's not bad at all.

The rest of the cast including Christine Baranski and Julie Walters all join in the fun and here's hoping the movie fleshes out the story-line somewhat.

I kinda missed "Thank You For The Music" but it it a hidden track following "I Have A Dream" but it is performed by Sophie accompanied by a single piano and i can bet the piano player was Benny Andersson.

This CD is hugely satisfying and exuberent and I can't wait to see the movie.

Just a small footnote; Anyone familiar with Meryl Streeps' films may notice the coincidence that the name of her daughter in the story is Sophie.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a Rip-Off!, September 15, 2008
This review is from: Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (Audio CD)
This was great until i got to the end. that fabulous finale - Waterloo - was not included. There was a photo for Waterloo on the cover, but no music. I think this just plain dishonest and i'm sorry i bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this soundtrack, July 19, 2008
Kayjay (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I saw the movie the day it opened. The cast had so much fun with the music. If you like Abba it's icing on the cake.

Best cuts:
'Mama Mia'--Meryl reverts to a giggly hormonal teenager.

'Does You Mother Know'--Christine Baranski makes it a delightful middled-aged woman's anthem.

'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (a man after midnight)--Amanda Seyfried's sweet voice gives it a naughty little twist. May just become the coming year's signature bachelorette party song.

Downsides:

'Waterloo' isn't included and should have been.

Poor Pierce Bronsan can't sing.

Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack
Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack by Benny Andersson (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies