Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$12.25+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 15, 2008
This was great until i got to the end. that fabulous finale - Waterloo - was not included. There was a photo for Waterloo on the cover, but no music. I think this just plain dishonest and i'm sorry i bought it.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2009
The title - a favorite expression of Sinatra's - says it all.

I've been writing a lot of chamber music reviews recently, and I just had to get this off my chest: I LOVE THIS SOUNDTRACK! My wife dragged me - not quite kicking and screaming, but with definite reluctance on my part - to see Mamma Mia! when it was released last year. (Just to give you an idea, I'm a Stephen Sondheim guy). Bottom line: I loved it. I sang along. I listened as my wife explained why every woman in the theater applauded when Pierce Brosnan got down on one knee to proposed to Meryl Streep, I marvelled at Streep's lung power singing Winner Takes It All, and I came away newly re-convinced that Dancing Queen is the second greatest pop song ever written. (Sorry - #1 has to be Hey Jude)

(NOTE: Lovers of Dancing Queen simply have to see Muriel's Wedding - a great Australian film featuring a young Toni Colette in her breakout role. The plot revolves around her love of, and living for, ABBA and the song Dancing Queen is put to great use - Muriel's Wedding)

But I digress. I love this soundtrack. I love the recreations of the songs. I love the energy. I even love, well, no. I kind of like Pierce Brosnan's warbling. It sounds real. The way that Broadway actors used to sound before they all started to use microphones and sing like Justin Timberlake and Beyonce.

My kids - in their early/mid 20s - are home from college and other parts for the summer. They just raised their eyebrows in their own kind of shock and awe when I put this soundtrack on. ("You're listening to a lot of chamber music these days, aren't you Pops?") By Day 2, I noticed them humming the songs. By Day 3 they were singing along. By Day 4 they were angry - "I can't get that song (choose your pick) OUT OF MY HEAD!"

This is joyful, timeless, perfectly crafted pop music. As Lola sang in Damn Yankees: "There's no exception to the rule, (it's) irresistable you fool - give in".

Indeed - Give in!
on August 2, 2008
The best thing about the Mamma Mia! movie (aside from the wonderful cast, lush setting, heartwarming scenes on family and friendship) are the wonderful songs of ABBA which have been recorded anew by Benny & Bjorn for the movie and is a marked improvement from the original ABBA versions. This is not to undermine the versions of ABBA which are classics in their own right but tracks like "Money, Money, Money" "Mamma Mia" "Super Trouper" "Gimme Gimme Gimme" sound even better than the originals because the new recordings have been improved instrumentally while still maintaining the original arrangements. Of course, Meryl Streep's interpretation of "The Winner Takes it All" is a masterpeice in
vocal interpretation and is the movie's highlight. People can not imagine Meryl singing and some people even want to believe that someone dubbed her singing voice. But in my book, there isn't anything this great actress can not do. My favorite ABBA song, however, will always be "Dancing Queen" and the version in this soundtrack is even better than the original. I bought a 2-cd copy today of ABBA's No. 1s and was kinda disappointed that the tracks were not remastered to give better sound. I sure hope that the "Thank You For the Music" boxed set which I recently ordered at Amazon will sound better...
My only complaint about this CD is that some songs in the movie were not included like "Chiquitita" and the encore "Waterloo" plus "Thank You For the Music" is a hidden track and comes after "I Have a Dream" on Track 17.
There is also a track in this cd by Amanda Seyfried "Name of the Game" which was probably a deleted scene because it was not in the movie. Amanda Seyfried sounds really good and is truly a discovery. She was in "Mean Girls" and I think her career has been given a huge boost with this film and puts her ahead of co-stars Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams. Other ABBA songs which I discovered in this CD to be gems are "One Last Summer" and "When All is Said and Done." This will surely be one of my favorite musicals of all time."Mamma Mia" is already no. 1 in Amazon's Top CDs and is ranked at No. 3 in Billboard's Top 200 albums this week and is the greatest gainer. No ABBA album ever reached this high on the Billboard chart before. The movie has also been doing well (inspite of mixed reviews) and had the biggest opening weekend ever for a musical (compared to Chicago, Dreamgirls, Sweeney)so it is on track to hit the $100 MM mark - not bad for a musical...Bravo to the cast!
HALL OF FAMEon July 30, 2008
Watching this film was a real treat, even if the only sour note is hearing Pierce Brosnan trying to sing alongside Meryl Streep (who can sing well). It's a fun, quite entertaining, soundtrack which pays ample homage to the songwriting genius of the Swedish pop-rock group ABBA. With the notable exception of Brosnan, the rest of the cast can carry a tune, and quite often, very well. My favorite tracks include the title song, Mamma Mia!, sung by Meryl Streep, and Dancing Queen, sung by Streep, Christine Baranski and Julie Walters. The young Amanda Seyfried may be the best singer in the cast; her numbers are among the other musical highlights in this 18 song score. For fans of Mamma Mia! and ABBA, then this is a CD which ought to find its way into their collections.
on November 30, 2009
I'm late coming to the Mamma Mia soundtrack because I have the London cast album. But after seeing the movie a gazillion times and loving it to bits, I decided to spring for the soundtrack because, let's face it, Meryl Streep and the movie cast lift this collection of fun songs to the realm of art. At least Streep's songs do.

So I was really disappointed that the album producers have opted to make the movie soundtrack sound like an ABBA album, minimizing the soloists' voices on Chiquitita and Dancing Queen almost out of existence.

With the exception of Streep's tracks, especially the great Winner Takes It All, you'd do just as well buying ABBA Gold and making your own Mamma Mia soundtrack.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2009
Despite being a long-time Abba fan, I loved the less than professional singing of some of the actors in the movie...yes, even Pierce Brosnan. The 'feeling' they put into the lyrics made them more meaningful.

My only disappointment was finding the singing on the CD was not quite like the movie, almost as if they electronically improved their voices...particularly in the case of Streep...and a lot of the quirkiness they added in inflection and tone in the movie was missing on the CD.
on May 13, 2009
This is only my first or second review I've written ever, but I was so thoroughly impressed with this production that I had to write a review (maybe I'll start writing more!). I didn't read any other reviews so my review isn't swayed by others.

I have never been a big fan of Meryl Streep as an actress, not because she wasn't good, but probably only because of the types of roles and types of movies she typically acts in. Her performance in not only the movie, but in particular, "The Winner Takes It All," is simply magnificent. I am not a professional singer nor do I have any background that would make me a knowledgeable voice critic, but I have listened to a lot of music and I have quite frankly never heard a performance quite as powerful and beautiful as hers in this track. That is a professional singing performance if I have ever heard one, and I could listen to that song over and over again (and I do). She is wonderful throughout the soundtrack, in particular this song, but check out the phrase from track time 3:50 through 4:35 which peaks at an incredible demonstration at 4:21. I have a newly found admiration for Meryl Streep (maybe should have been there before, but now is for good).

As for the rest of the album, in general, I was skeptical that I needed it or wanted it, having most of the original songs (key word being "most"). It was settled when I heard "Slipping Through My Fingers" in the movie, which I hadn't heard before even by ABBA. I had to have that beautiful song, and once again Meryl Streep performed wonderfully along with Amanda Seyfried, though you don't get a good sample of Amanda from this track. The orchestration is wonderful is this song. So that was the impetus for getting the album, but I continued to be pleasantly surprised by the entire album: of course the music is great as written and performed by ABBA, but this album has slight differences in orchestration, keys (for instance Slipping Through My Fingers is in D, whereas the original is in F, I think!), and a definite "acting" slant where you can hear the emotion of the story that is behind the music. As a result, the album seems like a completely new addition to my music collection: a double bonus in this case where you love the songs already ... it's not that often that you can enjoy different versions in different ways.

Amanda Seyfried is also wonderful throughout, particularly in Honey, Honey (fun), The Name of the Game, and the hidden "tracks", I Have a Dream and Thank You For the Music. She also seems like she could easily be a professional singer, although she did not have a powerful song/performance like Meryl Streep in The Winner Takes It All.

I was also unfamiliar with "Our Last Summer" where the men did a fine job and a great song. I was not particularly impressed by any of the men though I don't believe the jist was for power or strength in the context of the movie. In particular, Pierce Brosnan seemed like an actor more than a singer (he would probably agree?), but I think he came into his own in another song I was unfamiliar with, "When All Is Said And Done", another beautiful song.

This album is something I recommend for anyone who loves touching and sometimes powerful music, even if you are not generally interested in broadway or soundtrack recordings. This is one of those albums that will be listened to over and over for me.
on July 21, 2008
I have not seen the stage version or the movie yet, but I saw the trailer, listened to some samples, read a bit, and bought the CD.
I loved every minute of it! All of the actors were great singers.

Meryl Streep was a HUGE surprise. She completely blew me away with her OUTSTANDING vocal skills.

Amanda Seyfried is inspired and great. What else can you say? It seems like she puts no effort into her songs. Her voice must be just naturally beautiful.

Colin Firth and Stellan Skasgaard did well on OUR LAST SUMMER.

Julie Walters is great on TAKE A CHANCE ON ME, and Christine Baranski was (surprisingly) wonderful on DOES YOUR MOTHER KNOW (what a fun song!)

Now comes the big controversy. Pierce Brosnan. Almost every review I've read critisizes Pierce and his singing. Well, I'm not a Pierce basher. Though it's apparent that he isn't a professional singer, he does an exceptional job in his three songs: OUR LAST SUMMER, S.O.S., and WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE. He can carry a pitch and tune very well.

This music had be singing along within seconds. I'm sure I'll be tempted to sing and dance in the theatre aisles when I see the movie. I can't wait.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
We were kind of hijacked into seeing this film by friends who saw it opening night. We were up for an adventure, so what the hey? We ended up happy because this was a truly "feel good" movie. If you haven't seen the movie, the soundtrack may seem weak in the male vocal department; you'll probably be happier with the greatest hits of ABBA or the original broadway soundtrack. But after seeing the movie, this soundtrack brings back all the good feelings you had walking out of the theatre. My husband and I were not particularly ABBA fans then or now, but we really liked this flick, and he TOLD me to find the soundtrack! (Caution: your experience may vary)

Don't be fooled by the critics. They are the realists who have no imagination. This is entertaining the way that other sleeper "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was, and critics didn't think much of that flick either.

If you want to download the best, most differing from the original ABBA version, get "The Winner Takes it All." Talk about putting emotion in the lyrics! That Streep can act!
on July 30, 2008
Was dragged to the cinema by my wife, thought this was just a soppy woman`s film. I was wrong, I really enjoyed it and some of the musical scenes were a joy, kept catching my self foot tapping on the floor. I thought ALL the cast sang well, the dance sequences were excellent. I have never seen a cinema audience so reluctant to leave after the film was finished. The encore at the end was great fun.
Now in the process of downloading the soundtrack - even if it is missing a couple of songs.

Thi reminded me of a couple of the old "There is no Business Like Show Business Era.

Brian Valente