Mamma Mia the movie; screen types

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2008 2:09:25 PM PST
H. Gould says:
Help; what's the difference between the two types...wide screen or full screen? I'm not sure which one to purchase? Help please!1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2008 7:50:32 PM PST
Cheri Amor says:
I had the same question but asked my son. This is my understanding: Wide Screen is formatted to best replicate the way it appears in the movie theatre. You will most likely see that it doesn't fill up your whole TV screen, leaving some black at the top and bottom. Fullscreen has the aspect ratio adjusted to fill up your TV screen. Most film purists would most likely prefer Wide Screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 2:57:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2008 2:58:23 PM PST
John Martin says:
If you have an LCD flat screen or are planning on getting one, the wide screen is the way to go. For full screen they crop the film to fit the 4:3 aspect ratio of the old normal TV's. Wide screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9 or even higher (2.35:1). There are some, like the 2.35:1 ratio movies, that will still have black bars at the top and bottom even on the HD LCD TV's..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 8:06:07 AM PDT
SummerOne says:
Please tell me why newer movies are made wide screen WITH the bars on top and bottom, such as Mama Mia. I was disappointed when I bought this DVD widscreen and it doesn't fill my HD LCD TV...

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 9:31:57 AM PDT
Chris H says:
So is there a wide and full setting for blu-ray. I was really hoping that was one decision I didn't have to fight with.

Posted on May 17, 2013 7:02:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2013 7:03:10 AM PDT
Mary says:
I wondered about the difference too.
Having just ordered 2 other movies, one in widescreen and one full screen,
it became obvious immediately.
I watch DVD's on my 15" laptop.
Widescreen gave me picture from top to bottom and side to side.
Full screen is 'black boxed' on both sides giving me a much smaller view.
Now I will know to order widescreen to get a full picture to view.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2008
Latest post:  May 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mamma Mia! (2008) Meryl Streep; Pierce Brosnan; Colin Firth
Mamma Mia! (2008) Meryl Streep; Pierce Brosnan; Colin Firth by Amanda Seyfried as Sophie Sheridan; Stellan Skarsgård as Bill Anderson; Pierce (DVD)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,588)