Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 16, 2009
I usually don't like 'flash tattoo' books of any sort. Unless it's a very genre specific book with very high quality photos like
Bushido : Legacies of the Japanese Tattoo by Takahiro Kitamura.

Mammoth Tattoos is not a collection for the 'I must get this tattoo for my next inking' folks... Leave that for the flash books and various tattoo magazines out there.

Unlike all those though--The Mammoth Book Of Tattoos had me floored as I had never before seen such a staggeringly fresh and inspirational collection of art on almost every page. And certainly every genre. Each artist and their art represented by very high quality photos. I had to pick what I didn't like and came up with three out of the 80 artists represented.

This really is a fascinating (coffee-table/reference)book for anyone who appreciates graphic design, classic and modern and yes art which only happens to be on an epidermal canvas.
on June 30, 2009
I've been planning for my first tattoo since booking my appointments with my chosen artist 3 months in advance (since he was booked up that far out). This book really helped me consider the design/content I will have custom drawn, not only because of the large number of tattoo's shown in this book by top artists, but also because the Japanese tattooing style is very well represented (which is what I am getting). I also liked that there were quite a few large tattoos in this book, and not just full of smaller shoulder-sized tattoos.

There are also other styles represented, but I would say 40% of the book is Japanese style tattoos. To me it has been invaluable, and given the inexpensive cost, would be worth having for the seriously tattoo'ed as well as the tattoo admirerer as an eclectic coffee table book (although there's some nudity in it, so keep that in mind for the under 18 crowd).
on April 9, 2012
I purchased this book expecting it to be a good coffee table piece. I was a little surprised at how small it is. The art work contained within is ok, nothing that really moves you.

The big surprise was the bookbinding. My book literally fell apart at the seams the first time I went through it. Very poor job on the part of the printer.
on September 14, 2009
This book is perfect for you if you're not familiar with the Tattoo/Flash/Savage magazines. Personally I've seen all this stuff a million times before in the previously mentioned magazines. The only thing this has that mags don't is nudity. I had to hide a few pages from prying eyes. My cynical side wonders why Kim Saigh, Corey Miller, and Hannah Aichitson were included. La Ink anyone??? Overall good.
on August 26, 2012
The book arrived in great condition but has deteriorated quickly. The binding is falling apart, paging are coming out and it looks as though it has been used and abused even though it has be cared for well.
on December 21, 2011
The Mammoth Book of Tattoos is a stunning collection of artwork from a conglomerate of select tattoo masters of this generation. Most of the artwork featured in this book is in the styles of modern and Japanese tattoo art, so the variety is slightly limited, but all the photographs are in full color and dazzling quality which really draws you into the depth and detail of each tattoo.

Very little information is offered on the art of tattooing and the artists themselves, but the pictures speak volumes and offer a story that is, perhaps, not possible in the form of the written word. I have absolutely no negative comments about this book. Of all the tattoo-related literature I have collected thus far, The Mammoth Book of Tattoos is by far my favorite to look at again and again.
on November 9, 2015
Beautifully designed book filled with pages and pages of beautiful tattoo artwork photos. This was my first tattoo book. Over time I've bought many. The Mammoth Book of Tattoos by Lal Hardy continue to be my favorite and the best! Especially this one. If your looking for a great tattoo or ideas these are the books. From realism to traditional this book has it all. I've even purchased one for a friend.
review image
on September 23, 2015
The content of the book is good. Lots of good quality photos from many different genres and artists. Nothing to really fault with the content...it's a thick book. The hard part is that for the money spent and the quality of the content, the binding really sucks. I mean really sucks. I literally flipped through the book from front to back once and the binding began to separate. It looks like the glue holding the binding to the pages is too brittle and it splits and cracks away, leaving the pages unsupported. Now when I flip through the book again, I can see the pages separating from each other. makes me wonder how many more readings I will get out of this before the whole thing falls apart. It's a shame to that something as basic as book bindery could have such a negative effect on an otherwise good book of tattoo art. Buyer beware!
review image review image review image
on April 25, 2016
Excellent book, but as other reviews stated book started to fall apart at the binding, must have used cheap glue, ( quick fix before pages start coming out peel cover back take hot glue gun and glue it back). But overall the book is fantastic.
on January 21, 2015
The book will not make any difference to me that the binding came apart the first time I opened the book. I just send a few pages to prison inmate with my letters. If your buying this expecting to have a real bound book Don't buy this. If you don't mind a fist full off loose pages this book will be perfect.