Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

on February 15, 2011
I have read several of Tozer's books and he truly is a modern day "prophet" (in the sense of forth-telling, not fore-telling). This Spirit filled book is full of empowering and edifying words...from cover to cover. Almost every "chapter" is only two pages long and provides a concise, to the point, impactful, and convicting discussion of that relative topic. Tozer exemplifies the directive that we (Christians) should spur each other onward and help eachother to live a Spirit lead and Spirit filled life. Profound teachings rich with illumination that could have only come from the Holy Spirit Himself. I would recommend this book (along with every other book I've read by Tozer) to anyone who truly wants to "go on with God"...in other words, if you are tired of holding hands with the world and truly want to subvert self (that is your sinful nature) and be "more than conquerors", this is a must read. This book will speak to you where you are at and convict you...we are not called to look like this world or live a defeated life...we are called to so much more, and it all starts with a right view of God and how He wants us to spend our short time here on this earth. Get this book and get ready to go deeper with God! Only one drawback...and this is something I've noticed with other Tozer reprints as well...the book itself is fairly poorly edited and contains some grammatical errors, incomplete sentences and wrongly used words. For example in one of his books (can't remember if it was this one) they use "feeling" instead of "filling" and there are other various mistakes where the word used does not make sense contextually and another word was meant. I would recommend getting an original edition if you can find it. It does not make sense to me how there can be so many mistakes in these reprints...the only thing I can think of is the printer used some kind of word/text recognition software when scanning the original books and then assumed that was good enough. At any rate, it is only a small complaint and really takes nothing away from the book itself as I was (for the most part) able to discern what Tozer meant and what the original text likely said.
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2011
The great thing about God is that he is the same today as he was in Abraham and Moses' day. In the same vein, Tozer's insights into God are as applicable today as they were when he was alive. He was a brilliant theological mind and we are blessed to have his written comments to share for generations to come. To new Christians, I offer you a challenge: forget the dated cover of his books and buy one to read cover to cover. If you are not a fan after reading any one of his classics, I will be astounded. Unlike a lot of Christian fluff written today, Tozer delves deep into scripture and challenges his readers to see God in new ways.
on September 8, 2011
Any serious Christian of any denomination owes it to himself/herself to read Tozer. His insights and wisdom come from years of study, a thorough knowledge of scripture, and an undeniable relationship with God. He is to Christian thought as ballet is to dance: foundational and classic.
on December 28, 2011
Anything and everything by Tozer is worth the read. This is, however, one of my favorites!
Tozer never fails to elevate the standard of worship, to challenge us to be more and to recognize the Lord God as worthy of reverence, awe, & love.
on November 25, 2012
I read this book after reading The Pursuit of God. Even if it's not intended to be a sequel, if you are considering reading Tozer, this is the middle book. Begin with The Pursuit of God, then Man- The Dwelling Place of God, and then Knowledge of the Holy. If you read these three books in that order, you will be renewed in your understanding as a Christian.

Read it!
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2012
My only regret is having overlooked this book for so long. It is without a doubt, one of the greatest looks at the Christian life you can possibly read. The author has great insight and presents faith in ways I had not heard before. Please...take a moment and read this. You will be blessed.
on January 17, 2014
While I disagree with a lot of his theology and some of his views on the relationship of the gospel to post-war U.S. culture, I think Tozer deserves to be better known among all Christians for his deep spirituality. That is, I think Tozer appreciated that the “having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ” that marks the Christian is something truly deep and significant, and entails a deep and abiding at-oneness (my phraseology) with the Triune God. As Tozer notes, a human is not a bodily creature with a spirit, but a spirit with a body. (Kindle location 25)
There's too much here to cover everything, so here are few highlights of some of the important topics covered in these essays: discernment; why people find the Bible difficult; the centrality of faith to the Christian, and why its not an intellectual exercise; true religion is about our will, not our feelings; the importance of spiritual discipline in our daily lives; the reality and meaning of sin; the three degrees of religious knowledge; faith is active, not passive; having a fretful spirit; the fellowship of the saints, and unknown saints; God answering prayer; three wounds of Christian souls are contrition, compassion, and longing after God; the wrath of God; dogmatism; axiomatic truths; trying the spirits; the eternal church; do-it-yourself education is better than none; books and reading; hymns as theological education; apocalyptic expectation; how our choices reveal our character; and so much more. Tozer railed against “affluenza” long before someone coined that term! (1707-1722) There really is a lot more.
I could not tell from the introduction or in my limited research elsewhere, but I suspect that this book was not written as a unified book, but is actually a collection of Tozer's columns and/or short articles. This is not a criticism, but an observation.
Tozer was a proud and solid evangelical in the mold of Dwight L. Moody, but he embraced a much more catholic and even mystical spirituality that distinguished him from so many of his peers. What other evangelical of his day would you find quoting the likes of Francis of Assisi, Brother Lawrence, Bernard of Clairvaux, Bernard of Cluny, and, perhaps most surprisingly of all, Dame Julian of Norwich? I should note that almost fifty years after his death, many evangelicals are beginning to emulate him in this.
I only gave this Kindle edition three stars because of the several typographical errors in it. As someone who has done a bit of editing and proof-reading myself, I find one of those errors particularly egregious. Also, and this may reflect my academic background, in these Kindle editions I wish they would include the original publication information somewhere.
However much I disagree with some of his theology, I greatly respect A. W. Tozer as a guide to living the Gospel. I highly recommend this book.
on February 14, 2013
The thoughts by Tozer help present a clear picture of how much God desires to interact with us, His children. At the same time, this information challenges the reader in a quiet, not-threatening way to move from where he/she is to draw closer to God. The best results are gained when a particular devotional is read several times and then the reader takes the appropriate action to apply that truth to his/her life.
on September 20, 2013
Quotes from this entry include:

"The man who is seriously convinced that he deserves to go to hell is not likely to go there, while the man who believes that he is worthy of heaven will certainly never enter that blessed place....The man who inwardly believes that he is too good to perish will certainly perish unless he experiences a radical change of heart about himself."

"What we need to restore power to the Christian testimony is not soft talk about brotherhood but an honest recognition that two human races occupy the earth simultaneously: a fallen race that sprang from the loins of Adam and a regenerate race that is born of the Spirit through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus."

"True faith rests upon the character of God and asks no further proof than the moral perfections of the One who can not lie. It is enough that God said it, and if the statement should contradict every one of the five senses and all the conclusions of logic as well, still the believer continues to believe. 'Let God be true, but every man a liar,' is the language of true faith."

"Faith as the Bible knows it is confidence in God and His Son Jesus Christ; it is the response of the soul to the divine character as revealed in the Scriptures; and even this response is impossible apart from the prior inworking of the Holy Spirit."

"In this dim world of pious sentiment all religions are equal and any man who insists that salvation is by Jesus Christ alone is a bigot and a boor. So we pool our religious light, which if the truth is told is little more than darkness visible; we discuss religion on television and in the press as a kind of game, much as we discuss art and philosophy, accepting as one of the ground rules of the game that there is no final test of truth and that the best religion is a composite of the best in all religions. So we have truth by majority vote and thus saith the Lord by common consent. One characteristic of this sort of thing is its timidity. That religion may be very precious to some persons is admitted, but never important enough to cause division or risk hurting anyone's feelings. In all our discussions there must never be any trace of intolerance; but we obviously forget that the most fervent devotees of tolerance are invariably intolerant of everyone who speaks about God with certainty. And there must be no bigotry, which is the name given to spiritual assurance by those who do not enjoy it."

"Little by little evangelical Christians these days are being brainwashed. One evidence is that increasing numbers of them are becoming ashamed to be found unequivocally on the side of truth.... Great saints have always been dogmatic. We need right now a return to a gentle dogmatism that smiles while it stands stubborn and firm on the Word of God that liveth and abideth forever."

"Tolerance, charity, understanding, good will, patience and other such words and ideas are lifted from the Bible, misunderstood and applied indiscriminately to every situation...the effort to achieve unity at the expense of truth and righteousness is another. To seek to be friends with those who will not be the friends of Christ is to be a traitor to our Lord. Darkness and light can never be brought together by talk. Some things are not negotiable."
on July 7, 2012
This wonderful collection of Tozer's messages stills the spirit, and takes the believer into the presence of God. No 'tinsel' here--this is solid gold! He speaks from a wealth of spiritual experience, sharing nuggets of truth from his many years of fruitful ministry. It is a cool stream in a barren land for those who really want to draw near to God.

Amazon Kindle