Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Man and Machine: The Best Of Stephan Wilkinson
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 29, 2006
I had borrowed this book from my local library. I liked it so much, I had to own a copy. I put Stephan Wilkinson right up with John McPhee as one of my favorite writers. If you like aircraft, boats, or cars, this book is a great read.
VINE VOICEon August 22, 2008
This is a wonderful book. It's a collection of self-contained magazine articles originally published in 'Pilot,' 'Air & Space Smithsonian' and 'Popular Science' magazines that come together to form a greater whole. We get to look at machines that fly, and other machines from go-carts to ambulances to cruise ships. And we get to look at them through the gentle eyes of a smart literate man who doesn't miss much, a man who was the editor of Car and Driver, a man who smoothly writes about the things we wish we would have seen. We learn something about the machines; and celebrate the men that dreamt them up, made them possible and keep them running.

If this book was a machine it would hum in quiet harmony, it would have no sharp edges, and it would do something better than that something had ever been done before. I think you'll enjoy being up close to see and feel the power of such a 'Man and Machine.'
on May 6, 2012
I got this for my husband. He kept saying, "I think you would like this book..."

So I read it, too.

This is a book about power and speed and LOTS of cash and being a guy -- and that's okay with me. Do I understand why a bunch of broke teenagers want to spend every penny on decibel drag racing? Nope. But I can be glad for them that they have found a creative new way to be competitive and tinker around with stuff. That's what it's all about.

Thanks, Stephan Wilkinson. Each one of these articles was interesting. We're a military family, and some of these military vehicles... well, I already had a huge appreciation for the guys who piloted them, and now that I understand the vehicles better, the prestige of these guys grows even more for me.
on May 26, 2007
This was a great book. Many technical stories and analysis of how things tick and the people who keep them ticking. This may be especially geared toward aircraft nuts, but it was still good for anyone interested in powered things. It even included a story on Steinway Pianos - very interesting.
on May 25, 2015
I really enjoyed Stephan Wilkinson Man and Machine. There is some overlap with some of his other books but nothing major. If you like cars, airplanes, trains, and other cool machinery this is a fun read.
on October 2, 2013
This is a group of short essays of the author's experiences, good and bad, with various machines, mostly transportation. He's a facile writer and fun to read.
on December 15, 2013
Fascinating read for anyone intrigued by 'all things mechanical.' Short bits on a wide ranging array of devices and a pleasing read.
on November 12, 2014
A collection of articles on a variety of subjects. Fun to read.