Man On The Moon 2: The Legend of Mr. Rager
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$14.89+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 9, 2010
Kid Cudi has been somewhat of an "alternative" hip-hop star since his breakthrough debut album and lead single "Day & Night" debuted in 2008. He brought the "emo" emotions from Rock and the Alternative genres to hip-hop. His style might not be traditional and might even turn off some fans of the art of hip-hop, yet his success proves that there are many who were able to relate to the man and his emotions. Cudi once again brings his dark tone, long bridges and intriguing yet, hollow beats to yet another successful album.

Track by Track

1.) Scott Mescudi VS. The World (feat. Cee-Lo) - 4/5 - Cudi assigns one of the "alternative" kings Cee-Lo (from Gnarles Barkley) on the chorus and it goes over well. It is a great song to open up the album. It gives the listener a good idea as to what is to come. The beat doesn't sound like something that would be on a #1 hip-hop album, yet it is to be expected from Kid Cudi. It reminded me of something that might have been on Kanye West's "808 & Heartbreaks" as far as the beat is concerned. Cudi delivers a nice traditional flow which makes the song have more single appeal than it would have if he were to have experimented more. He played it safe, but it paid off

2.) REVOFEV - 5/5 - The beat comes into the speakers and one knows exactly who will be speaking over it. This is a typical Cudi song, but once again it comes through very well. His flow is more of a "talking" flow, yet accompanied with the beat it is a well produced song which will most likely be one of the best tracks on the album. Instead of being completely dark, it surprisingly has a little bit of a head nodding nature to it that will differentiate it a little from previous efforts. "I am your big brother," Cudi proclaims and entices you to follow him for the new revolution (of hip-hop). Another single worthy track

3.) Don't Play This Song (feat. Mary J. Blige) - 2/5 - Cudi brings more traditional hip-hop into this track, but something holds it back from being more than just a good song. Mary J. Blige might be that affliction, but it is difficult to tell. It's a slower track yet with Mary it seems to be bogged down more than it should. The lyrics and subject matter seem deep and dark, but with Mary's voice it just seems to distract the listener from the atmosphere Cudi was trying to create. "You want to know what I sound like without drugs?/Please don't play this song"

4.) We Aite (Wake Your Mind Up) INTERLUDE - a very short interlude. It doesn't take anything away from the album's flow. It's very short and seems like it could have been added to the end of any track rather than giving it it's own numbered track

5.) Marijuana - 4/5 - Kid Cudi has never shied away from admitting his love for the green plant and this song take sit one step further. This is his dedicated song to his favorite drug. And though, as a hip-hop fan, it seems that maybe we've heard one too many songs dedicated to marijuana, Cudi executes a track that is very infectious and fits well with his dark theme.

6.) Mojo So Dope - 5/5 - One again Cudi brings is own style of flow to this track. His vocals are instantly recognizable. One either hates or loves what this man brings to the song and most will love this track. Lyrically Cudi gets personal and reflects on what is reality and what is fantasy when it comes to his image. The darkness drips from the track and will continue the listener down the road of where Cudi wants to take them. An excellent track

7.) Ashin' Kusher - 2/5 - Something is missing from this track that keeps it from being anything more than just an average song. It seems like it could be somewhat of a filler. The chorus is somewhat of a thrown together mess that shows his effort. The beat is average at best. It doesn't seem to flow with the songs leading up to it. Theres just nothing special about the song.

8.) Erase Me (feat. Kanye West) - 4/5 - When it comes to executing singles, Cudi is hit or miss. His "Day & Nite" single from his debut was a smash because it was different than what everyone was used to in the hip-hop world. However, with "Erase Me" he seems to have crafted a track which drips with mainstream, yet it works extremely well. The sure fire hit isn't much for rap flow, except for Kanye, who rips a memorable verse toward the end the track. Yet Cudi seems to have his rockstar aura on because he "sings" most of the track. Expect this one to be overplayed on radio (if it hasn't already)

9.) Wild'n Cuz I'm Young (feat. Kanye West) - 5/5 - Cudi's 100% rap song here. It drips with swagger and bravado. It will remind some of the golden era of hip-hop where the head nods and the lyrics are memorable. This is a very good hip-hop record. Cudi's flow is a little slow, yet is impactful with it's execution. Kanye, once again, adds a great verse. It might not be along the lines of what Cudi has been accustomed to, but he delivers an outstanding track

10.) The Mood - 3/5 - The beat sticks out to me on this track. And Cudi's flow delivers short verses that end with accentuating the beat. He brings the darkness once again - the subject matter is more about "getting lost in the mood." The listener can't help but to comply

11.) Maniac (feat. Cage) - 4/5 - Cudi once again brings the darkness. The harrowing beat is memorable on this track once again, but also the lyrics surprisingly are also something that one will take away from it. It's not all "atmosphere." Cage brings a very good verse to a disjointed song. But it works. If you like Cudi, you will like this track

12.) Mr. Rager - 5/5 - Another one that is single worthy. This space influenced track has Cudi at his most comfortable state. Instead of being his traditional "darkness" he brings his creativeness to space age. The beat is infectious on this track. The entire song is very well put together. The lyrics talk about where Cudi is headed as an artist. The chorus is one of the best on this album

13.) These Worries - 4/5 - This track brings wordplay to it and will comply with any hip-hop fan. Cudi brings, short stabs of lyricism into the track. Mary J. Blige once gain graces the album, but this time she fits in better than her previous showing. The beat slows down and music merely stops, but then you heard Cudi sniff and the music starts once again. His subject matter touches on his drug use (Cocaine) and how he is tired of "people telling me they are worried about me." It's a great track.

14.) The End - 3/5 - Another 100% hip-hop track. The chorus is repetitive and the rappers who are featured all take their turns on telling stories of "the game." Most are stories about "blowing up" and "getting paid." Death is also something that is touched on. The song itself works out well, but isn't anything special. It doesn't fit with the rest of the album and sticks out too much from the other tracks

15.) All Along - 4/5 - Another personal track from Cudi. That is what he does, but here he does it very well. The lyrics are probably his most dark within the album. "All along/All alone/I know I'm made to be alone." The beat fits well and isn't merely a depressing organ - it's got all the characteristics of a well produced beat. Musically, it is a gem. One of Cudi's best on the album

16.) Ghost - 3/5 - Cudi brings his rock star out once again in the beginning of this track. He rambles through the lyrics in an almost mumbling state. It seems lazy. The beat is average and his effort doesn't show much promise. The chorus saves it from being a horrible song, but doesn't save it from being anything more than an average Cudi song

17.) Trapped In My Mind - 5/5 - What a way to finish the album. Autotune (a "calmed down" version of it) was used for this one, but Cudi's creativity brings it to another level. The tone of the track brings more darkness. His "singing" works more here than it has in the past. He tells that he is trapped in his mind and his darkness. "He isn't that bad, but he knows he's crazy." Something we can all relate to

Kid Cudi spoils us with 17 (16 minus the interlude) tracks. Most albums seem to be around the 10-12 mark, but he gives us much more while still being consistent. This album is better, more polished, put together and creative than his debut album. I would have liked to see him bring back MGMT for at least one song (something I loved about the first album), but it's worth the purchase. But if you were not a fan of Cudi himself, he hasn't changed. He fits himself even more into his image. Like it or not, hip-hop is changing and he is one of the revolutionaries.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2010
The first Cudi album was ground breaking without a doubt. There is no artist on the planet who sounds like Cudi. Everything from his style to his tone/rhythm is solid. However, this album is much slower on the majority of the songs and beats don't pick up quite as well as the first album. For example on the first album, the track 'simple as..' has a five-part beat, all coming in one at a time following each other, making the song build and overall sound excellent. On this album, the track 'REVOFEV' jumps straight into the beat and stays consistent without any sway, making it too repetitive. Many tracks have unbelievably great potential but don't pick up.

This is a good/decent album by an AMAZING artist. It is dark, a bit slow in some parts, and differs from the first classic album. The tracks that build up piece by piece are by far the best on the album which include, 'Mojo So Dope', 'Erase Me', 'Mr. Ranger', and 'All Along'. The sleeper track is with one of my favorite artists, Cage, titled 'Maniac'.

Listen to this album three full times before you judge it. Kid Cudi will brighten up and continue making amazing tracks I can only pray. Any beat Cudi puts his voice on is going to be listenable so give it a chance. Overall I would have to say I only really like half of this album. I love every track on the first album besides one.
on December 25, 2010
This album is among the best of 2010.
Its replay value is incredible. I can visit the songs over and over again.
Man on the Moon 2 is better than the first, which is unbelievable because the first was near perfect.
on December 14, 2010
I did like his debut album a lot and this one is good too. I'm not quite sure if it lives up to his first CD but it has its share of awesome songs. The production is definitely one of my favorite things about this. Lyrics are pretty good and there aren't really any filler tracks in my opinion. Worth getting if you're a Cudi fan.
on June 20, 2011
I usually don't give new music a chance I just dont take the time to hear new stuff, But when I heard Man on the Moon: The End of Day I said wow I must have been sleeping on this guy. So I bought the first cd it was playable the whole way thru n repeatable.It was a great debut album which I thought he shoulda got more praise for. I was counting down for the new cd when I got it I liked it just as much as the first one actually I might have liked it better I always have Mr.Rager on repeat. If your a real fan you'll understand all of his songs. If your a newbie to lisening to Cudi I'd advice you to go to your local projects buy a bag of weed, smoke it and then listen to the cd. He's the modern day Bob Marley mixed with Jimi Hendrix and Kanye West. Now Im waiting for whatever he comes out with next,and J.Coles album.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 9, 2010
Rapper KiD CuDi continues his genre blurring ways on "Man In The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager", the follow-up to his gold selling debut from 2009. As an example, opening cut "Scott Mescudi Vs. The World" has a chugging baseline and features Cee-lo Green's dulcet tones, while "REFOFEV" is stripped down and laced with rock guitar.

Mary J. Blige appears on the sublime "Don't Play This Song", and similar in feel is the piano-driven "Marijuana". The Jim Jonsin Rock song "Erase Me" features Kanye West and finds CuDi singing. "The Mood" is stark and woozy, while "MANIAC" features Cage and St. Vincent set to stomping beats and laced with Rock guitar. "Mr. Rager" fuses a dubby bassline to spacey Rock with a laid-back performance by CuDi.

Mary J. Blige appears again on the chugging "These Worries", while the groovy "The End" features GLC, Chip tha Ripper and Nicole Wray. "GHOST!" sounds like something by Gorillaz, while closing the CD is the skeletal trippy Dub "Trapped In My Mind".

His musical meanderings will put off fans of Hip Hop, but those open for anything good will be left staggering at the sheer weight of his genius.
on December 30, 2010
First, you have to listen to every song, do not skip around! This album has different types of music and sounds which and its great to chill to.
on November 10, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed Cudi's last two releases; however "Man on the Moon 2" has left me indifferent at best. I feel like the best way to describe my feelings around Cudi's progression would be like this...

His early releases (INCLUDING Man on the Moon) felt, to me, like Cudi was just having a good time expressing himself on the track. Because he was just doing him, he was labeled "an original", "underground", "against the stream".

With this new album, it feels like he is now trying to live up to what we've all come to expect from him: to be different. The entire album gave me vibes of him trying to establish himself as genuine. "Hey! look at me, I'm different". For example, the quote on the inside cover of the album - "MY MUSIC IS ONE SMALL STEP FOR ME, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR ALL WEIRDKIND". The album is not complete s***, but it feels forced.

Tracks seem even busier than his last albums, and not as tastefully put together. A lot of people seem to really enjoy the album, maybe I am missing something, but I'm just not into it. All of that being said, if you liked his last two albums, you may as well give this one a try, even if it's forced, it is still better than most stuff on the radio.
on December 24, 2010
Since Kid Cidi came out I have been a fan and this album doesnt dissapoint. I liked it the first listen but after a few more listens on my head phones I was blown away. Under the influence always helps too. Its rare these days for a new artist to come out with his own unique sound and Kid kudi is just that. If its not broke dont fix it. No sophmore slump here! dont sleep on this dude he is one of a kind.
on December 30, 2010
Kid Cudi. I've been following him through his mixtapes for a good long while now. Between his last album and this one, I'd say he stays pretty true to himself. the prequel to this album was awesome too and had a few songs that SOMEHOW didn't make the album. check it out

Prime had it here on release date, as promised.