Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Man of Steel (Blu-ray)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 18, 2013
While I can see and understand some of the complaints against this film, some of them, on the other hand, are hypocritical nonsense.

The internet isn't the best way to put a films reception into perspective. From perusing comic book message boards you would think this is the most hated film of all time. Not so. It is mostly met with favorable praise. But the vocal minority is REALLY vocal on this one. Complaints about structure and editing are one thing (I don't agree with them at all but they are legitimate) but the huge hubbub over the destruction in this film is over the top and frankly all out misguided and downright false.

It seems the internet can't make up it's mind on what they want their Superman to be. For YEARS all fans ever did was say they wanted a Superman movie where he can really show off his powers. They begged and whined and pleaded for a Superman film to deliver the action that the character deserves on screen. And when Superman Returns came out that begging and pleaded grew exponentially. "WE WANT SUPERMAN TO PUNCH SOMETHING!" seemed to be the go-to phrase. People finally get what they were whining for and what do they do? They turn their nose up at it.

The way people complain about the action you would think this is nothing but wall to wall mindless explosions. This is not so at all. After the opening scenes on Krypton and a quick rescue on an oil rig the film doesn't have much action until the last act kicks in. The last act is no longer or drawn out than The Avengers ofr any of the Nolan Batman films. In fact I think I read somewhere the finale to Batman Begins is a few minute longer than Man of Steel.

For one thing this is a superhero movie. Two, this isn't only a superhero movie but a SUPERMAN movie! What, you don't expect insane action and visuals? Really? The action in this film is incredible. It's hard hitting, edge of your seat kind of stuff. THIS IS WHAT SUPERMAN SHOULD LOOK LIKE ON THE BIG SCREEN!

Whiny fanboys go on and on and ON about the amount of destruction in this film like it's Supes fault. They literally blame the destruction on Superman like he caused it all. If one simply watches the film with the most minimal amount of attention they will know this is simply, idiotically false. The most purely destructive thing Superman himself directly does is crash Zod through a gas station. Literally everything else is Zods fault. Superman tries the whole last act to stop them and gets his butt handed to him a lot of the time.

Another HUGE misconception is that the final fight in Metropolis is horrible because it's in the middle of the city and causing more death. Again, if people paid a modicum of attention they would have seen that the entire portion of the city they were fighting in is DESERTED. TOTALLY DESERTED. No people around.

I for one am glad the destruction in this film was so realistic. People were shown to really be dying and in peril. Most other superhero films feel safe in this regard, like nobody is really in jeopardy. It's safe, clean destruction. Not so in Man of Steel. It makes Superman feel MORE like a hero and not a perfect action figure imo that he has to struggle and can't save every living soul. Did people really want him to just fly around catching people out of windows the whole time? "WAH Metropolis got destroyed ans Superman didn't save enough people!" I'm sorry, did you not see him save the ENTIRE world by destroying the World Engine, which damn near took him out as well? I guess not.

I know I'm ranting but I can't help but feel a lot of the reactions to this film are misguided in the extreme. This is the mythic, larger than life Superman film we've been needing. And mythic is exactly what Superman is. This isn't the joyless shell people are making it out to be either. There is light comedy sprinkled throughout the film. It's the Batman Begins of Superman. I have a feeling if this came out around 2005 or so it wouldn't have gotten the fanboy slamming it did.
244244 comments|1,186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2013
Let me say right away that I am fan, so if you imagine that there may be some bias about this film, you'll be right. As much as I enjoy the work done by Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan I am, first and foremost, a fan of Superman the character. Beyond the super powers and god like awe that surrounds the character, he is inherently a symbol for the potential good of the human race. He represents the best of both his worlds and acts as a guide for others. Superman is often referred to as the "constant boy scout". It's easier to understand when you truly see the kind of temperament and control he exhibits on a nearly constant basis. When faced with adversity how easy would it be for him to destroy his opponent in the blink of an eye, and yet he refrains from doing so. He is a symbol for all that we can achieve, good and bad. In some ways he is the embodiment of hope; hope for the future, hope for the world, and hope in our own personal lives. So, when I say that I am a fan I mean to say that this film held high expectations for me and I am glad to say that this film not only met my expectations but exceeded them.

It's difficult to compare comics and movies to one another. They are different animals, and because of that, require different things. For those of you who are fans of the comics it may be best to show that this film has an extremely similar vibe to the "Earth One" story presented a few years back. It is a reboot that while fresh and rewarding for the casual viewer truly gives back to the fans. It's worth mentioning that I believe a movie based on a comic book should remain faithful to its original material it also needs to separate itself and be its own thing. Thankfully that is the case with the "Man of Steel". The Nolan brothers' screenplay brought to life by Zack Snyder is a wonderful homage to past material while remaining original in its own way. The very human aspect brought to the character removes some of the awe that may separate us from him and witnessing the struggle he deals with in understanding his two sides is the needed heart thread that grounds the film. The characters, most of which, are easily picked out by fans of the comics are played by some rather extraordinary actors and actresses. You can tell by the quality of actors how serious Warner Bros. was about making this a legitimate project. I could mention each one in particular and yet somehow I feel as though it doesn't do justice to the ensemble as a whole. Each person fits their character in a natural way and one of the things that I found myself enjoying about the film is that not one person overshadows another, they are each a piece of the puzzle that fits well into the mold.

Another important facet to any Zack Snyder film is the look and feel of the film. While the film itself is grounded in many ways due to the wonderful cast it is hard to forget just how magnificent this movie looks at times. While each shot is truly worthy of a movie still the action scenes are the stuff of legend. Remember that awe I spoke of surrounding the character of Superman? This is where it shines. Snyder is able to envision Superman and his battles in a way that captures the eyes and truly keeps us glued to the screen. The movie has a somber low tone visually, with most of the colors subdued, but when given the opportunity to for action the screen suddenly shines and explodes. For much of the movie I had pure goosebumps traveling up and down my spine. So, if there are any reservations you have about buying this film on blu-ray, get rid of those right now. You'd be doing yourself a disservice buying it on another format. Thankfully, like the "Batman" trilogy Nolan is so well known for, there are a few moments among the drama and action for humor, so it's not a horribly dry film without levity. Also, the amazing Hans Zimmer has lent his talents to this film and truly created a soundtrack befitting the movie. I'd like to point out that any time Hans Zimmer is part of a film I get a bit excited but when it was officially announced that he would do the score for this film I was eager to hear how he would pull it. The movie moves seamlessly with each passing score and Zimmer's soundtrack only enhances the experience.

In this day and age I know the idea of having two options available to customers is nice, in terms of DVD and blu-ray format, but in the case of "Man of Steel" I'd recommend that you buy the bundle pack. Yes, you may not have a blu-ray player but if you ever decide to get it then you'll already have the blu-ray copy along with the DVD one. Truth be told, I have a hard time recommending that this movie be bought solely on DVD cause it's simply too visual a movie to experience any other way than blu-ray.

One of the best indicators I have for a film are the feelings I have the day afterwards. I left my local theater following the midnight premiere and I had a hard time sleeping. Almost a full day later I still have a sense of excitement over the movie. This film has that something truly special. It's not often I sit in a theater and feel like I'm taken back to being that same young kid who had aspirations of saving the world while wearing a cape (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this). It filled me with the awe and wonder of my childhood and left me inspired. It's hard to imagine a better way to pay homage to the dreams of my past than letting them breath a little bit once more in the form of a movie. I can easily say that this is one of my favorite movies of the year.
3131 comments|468 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2015
This new Superman film is became one of my most favored films. Personally believe Zack Snyder did an outstanding job, the film gave a major impact of origin and legendary production for Superman, and the action was excellent for they had a touch of True Comic imagery on the film. Superman was normally portrayed as the savor similar to Christ, but more so the American figure, so Superman in comics always was a major character of inspiration to us Christians, not to be worshiped but inspiration to uplift men for a something greater. I believe Zack did excellent, personally I'm a fan of his work! When it first came out in theaters I was one of the first to see it, honestly, something about the trailer made me think this film was the real deal, and when it first was released on Blu-ray I brought it that same day. That tells the reviewers whom maybe reading this that I was a strong fan of this film, in fact so strong of a fan that all the Superman films back then, I don't even watch and not part of my collection. Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and the sequel to come is the best rebirth of Superman films and will continue to collect the upcoming films. Very excited about the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice film coming out 2016, and personally believe it's going to be even better. The truth is I believe anytime Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan come together in comic films, they will be excellent, now imagine if Michael Bay tagged along the film making, imagine how even greater the films would be.
Visual Effects were amazing as well, and storyline was very good for Superman's origin, I believe it could have been a little more stronger in inspiration and wisdom to the audience.
I've come to notice that majority of the films that come from Legendary Pictures are actually more mesmerizing and capable of becoming Legendary, in this film reach that potential, a film that you can literally watch repeatedly because it's so good, WB Production choose another excellent film to be partied with.
My baby-sister loved this film to, and my brother enjoyed the movie (and he doesn't even watch movies that much)
review image
on December 9, 2015
Admittedly not my favorite film on initial viewing but it has grown on me and I greatly enjoy it. The lead actor is a great superman and the cast assembled is top notch, especially the actor who plays the villain.
on October 6, 2015
First of all, I gotta say this box set looks so cool from every angle and at any collection. The way they shaped and carved the box is very succesful. Solid 5 out of 5 craftmanship which makes you feel like unboxing a limited edition collectible. (mine is 29.000 out of 50.0000 btw) The PQ and extras definetly worth watching for over and over again. Simply one of the best blu ray steel book ever!!
review image review image
on July 27, 2015
Plot holes (Tech that doesn't change over 180 centuries?..... Really?) but very good action and epic fight sequences. Characters were very good. Acting and direction excellent.
The story line about Krypton and the early days... meh. Forgettable and don't get me started about the avatar-esque chase scene - mini dragons out-flying advanced attack ships - ugh).
The first half dragged a bit..... origin stories..... what can you do?

The second half was very good though, much of it a rolling fight sequence of massive destruction.

As for the fight ending. Some have (whined) that Superman would never do that. Having read the comic over the decades....
Hogwash.
His actions were completely correct (in character) and completely necessary. It was handled very well.

The entire cast of characters from Zod and Lois to Perry and Faora were well done.
There were no pointless characters here. All had a purpose and were three dimensional.

This was, overall, a solid film.
on April 29, 2014
I watched this movie on t.v and I had my eyes glued to the screen. I was not tempted to pick up my cell phone to reply to messages or even check emails.
I love the story line and the girl villain is cool.
I also like how Zack Snyder has to do with this film. I own Watchmen and SuckerPunch. I am happy to have Man of Steel in my collection.
on November 13, 2015
I LOVE SUPERMAN! MY HERO AND HE SECOND TO MY FIRST HERO THAT I STILL LOVE AND THAT IS JESUS CHRIST. I USED TO READ ALL OF THE COMIC BOOKS WHEN I WAS A KID. I FINALLY STOPPED IN THE 12TH GRADE. PEOPLE MADE FUN OF ME. I AM SORRY I LET THEM DO THAT TO ME.
on August 18, 2015
***********Contains spoilers**************

Once you get past the awful beginning, the movie is a blast from there.

I can accept the changes they made from the original comic book. This is after all 2015, changes are made for better or worse like it or not. I can even accept Superman killing general Zod.

However, I can not accept combining elements from lord of the rings into the Krypton story line. What where they thinking? This ruined the beginning and the whole Krypton story is lost.

That being said, the rest of the movie is a blast. Though Henry Cavil is no Christopher Reeve, he is the best superman since Reeve.

I do miss Jimmy Ollson though.
on February 22, 2015
It gets better each time I see a new Superman movie!
The special affects are superb !!
It is almost as if it has taken over 60 years to get to the point
of developing Superman's actual powers which exceed the Human
imagination.
I can't wait to see the next Superman film and hope that the producer/director
will more fully develop Superman's full potential or at least see part of what He is really capable
of. If you saw the Superman(George Reeves) television series as a kid like I did in the late 50's, you can appreciate the
special affects much more as it "partially" explains what "Faster than a speeding bullet" really means.
See also Jan Alan Henderson author of Speeding Bullet.....