Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

1,092 of 1,316 people found the following review helpful
on September 18, 2013
While I can see and understand some of the complaints against this film, some of them, on the other hand, are hypocritical nonsense.

The internet isn't the best way to put a films reception into perspective. From perusing comic book message boards you would think this is the most hated film of all time. Not so. It is mostly met with favorable praise. But the vocal minority is REALLY vocal on this one. Complaints about structure and editing are one thing (I don't agree with them at all but they are legitimate) but the huge hubbub over the destruction in this film is over the top and frankly all out misguided and downright false.

It seems the internet can't make up it's mind on what they want their Superman to be. For YEARS all fans ever did was say they wanted a Superman movie where he can really show off his powers. They begged and whined and pleaded for a Superman film to deliver the action that the character deserves on screen. And when Superman Returns came out that begging and pleaded grew exponentially. "WE WANT SUPERMAN TO PUNCH SOMETHING!" seemed to be the go-to phrase. People finally get what they were whining for and what do they do? They turn their nose up at it.

The way people complain about the action you would think this is nothing but wall to wall mindless explosions. This is not so at all. After the opening scenes on Krypton and a quick rescue on an oil rig the film doesn't have much action until the last act kicks in. The last act is no longer or drawn out than The Avengers ofr any of the Nolan Batman films. In fact I think I read somewhere the finale to Batman Begins is a few minute longer than Man of Steel.

For one thing this is a superhero movie. Two, this isn't only a superhero movie but a SUPERMAN movie! What, you don't expect insane action and visuals? Really? The action in this film is incredible. It's hard hitting, edge of your seat kind of stuff. THIS IS WHAT SUPERMAN SHOULD LOOK LIKE ON THE BIG SCREEN!

Whiny fanboys go on and on and ON about the amount of destruction in this film like it's Supes fault. They literally blame the destruction on Superman like he caused it all. If one simply watches the film with the most minimal amount of attention they will know this is simply, idiotically false. The most purely destructive thing Superman himself directly does is crash Zod through a gas station. Literally everything else is Zods fault. Superman tries the whole last act to stop them and gets his butt handed to him a lot of the time.

Another HUGE misconception is that the final fight in Metropolis is horrible because it's in the middle of the city and causing more death. Again, if people paid a modicum of attention they would have seen that the entire portion of the city they were fighting in is DESERTED. TOTALLY DESERTED. No people around.

I for one am glad the destruction in this film was so realistic. People were shown to really be dying and in peril. Most other superhero films feel safe in this regard, like nobody is really in jeopardy. It's safe, clean destruction. Not so in Man of Steel. It makes Superman feel MORE like a hero and not a perfect action figure imo that he has to struggle and can't save every living soul. Did people really want him to just fly around catching people out of windows the whole time? "WAH Metropolis got destroyed ans Superman didn't save enough people!" I'm sorry, did you not see him save the ENTIRE world by destroying the World Engine, which damn near took him out as well? I guess not.

I know I'm ranting but I can't help but feel a lot of the reactions to this film are misguided in the extreme. This is the mythic, larger than life Superman film we've been needing. And mythic is exactly what Superman is. This isn't the joyless shell people are making it out to be either. There is light comedy sprinkled throughout the film. It's the Batman Begins of Superman. I have a feeling if this came out around 2005 or so it wouldn't have gotten the fanboy slamming it did.
221221 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2013
Let me say right away that I am fan, so if you imagine that there may be some bias about this film, you'll be right. As much as I enjoy the work done by Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan I am, first and foremost, a fan of Superman the character. Beyond the super powers and god like awe that surrounds the character, he is inherently a symbol for the potential good of the human race. He represents the best of both his worlds and acts as a guide for others. Superman is often referred to as the "constant boy scout". It's easier to understand when you truly see the kind of temperament and control he exhibits on a nearly constant basis. When faced with adversity how easy would it be for him to destroy his opponent in the blink of an eye, and yet he refrains from doing so. He is a symbol for all that we can achieve, good and bad. In some ways he is the embodiment of hope; hope for the future, hope for the world, and hope in our own personal lives. So, when I say that I am a fan I mean to say that this film held high expectations for me and I am glad to say that this film not only met my expectations but exceeded them.

It's difficult to compare comics and movies to one another. They are different animals, and because of that, require different things. For those of you who are fans of the comics it may be best to show that this film has an extremely similar vibe to the "Earth One" story presented a few years back. It is a reboot that while fresh and rewarding for the casual viewer truly gives back to the fans. It's worth mentioning that I believe a movie based on a comic book should remain faithful to its original material it also needs to separate itself and be its own thing. Thankfully that is the case with the "Man of Steel". The Nolan brothers' screenplay brought to life by Zack Snyder is a wonderful homage to past material while remaining original in its own way. The very human aspect brought to the character removes some of the awe that may separate us from him and witnessing the struggle he deals with in understanding his two sides is the needed heart thread that grounds the film. The characters, most of which, are easily picked out by fans of the comics are played by some rather extraordinary actors and actresses. You can tell by the quality of actors how serious Warner Bros. was about making this a legitimate project. I could mention each one in particular and yet somehow I feel as though it doesn't do justice to the ensemble as a whole. Each person fits their character in a natural way and one of the things that I found myself enjoying about the film is that not one person overshadows another, they are each a piece of the puzzle that fits well into the mold.

Another important facet to any Zack Snyder film is the look and feel of the film. While the film itself is grounded in many ways due to the wonderful cast it is hard to forget just how magnificent this movie looks at times. While each shot is truly worthy of a movie still the action scenes are the stuff of legend. Remember that awe I spoke of surrounding the character of Superman? This is where it shines. Snyder is able to envision Superman and his battles in a way that captures the eyes and truly keeps us glued to the screen. The movie has a somber low tone visually, with most of the colors subdued, but when given the opportunity to for action the screen suddenly shines and explodes. For much of the movie I had pure goosebumps traveling up and down my spine. So, if there are any reservations you have about buying this film on blu-ray, get rid of those right now. You'd be doing yourself a disservice buying it on another format. Thankfully, like the "Batman" trilogy Nolan is so well known for, there are a few moments among the drama and action for humor, so it's not a horribly dry film without levity. Also, the amazing Hans Zimmer has lent his talents to this film and truly created a soundtrack befitting the movie. I'd like to point out that any time Hans Zimmer is part of a film I get a bit excited but when it was officially announced that he would do the score for this film I was eager to hear how he would pull it. The movie moves seamlessly with each passing score and Zimmer's soundtrack only enhances the experience.

In this day and age I know the idea of having two options available to customers is nice, in terms of DVD and blu-ray format, but in the case of "Man of Steel" I'd recommend that you buy the bundle pack. Yes, you may not have a blu-ray player but if you ever decide to get it then you'll already have the blu-ray copy along with the DVD one. Truth be told, I have a hard time recommending that this movie be bought solely on DVD cause it's simply too visual a movie to experience any other way than blu-ray.

One of the best indicators I have for a film are the feelings I have the day afterwards. I left my local theater following the midnight premiere and I had a hard time sleeping. Almost a full day later I still have a sense of excitement over the movie. This film has that something truly special. It's not often I sit in a theater and feel like I'm taken back to being that same young kid who had aspirations of saving the world while wearing a cape (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this). It filled me with the awe and wonder of my childhood and left me inspired. It's hard to imagine a better way to pay homage to the dreams of my past than letting them breath a little bit once more in the form of a movie. I can easily say that this is one of my favorite movies of the year.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2014
This is finally the Superman film I've been waiting for! The film is well-paced with the major delight of Superman himself being humanized and made cool again. Kudos goes to David S. Goyer for writing a mature script and taking cues from some great Superman story-lines: Mark Waid's Birthright along with John Byrne's Man of Steel, Geoff John's Secret Origin & Last Son and J. Michael Straczynski's Earth-One. Henry Cavill is amazing as Superman, along with Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, and Michael Shannon as General Zod. One of my favorite directors, Zack Snyder delivers on the mind-blowing action but also the emotional character moments of the film. Finally, due to all the criticism on character development, I'm certain that was intentional seeing as the origin story for Superman is very rigid and this film served to show why he becomes Superman and therefore reporter Clark Kent. As for the controversy on Zod's death, Superman HAS KILLED in the comics (when it was necessary) and it's very important to welcome a new Superman for the 21st century and leave the Christopher Reeve version to rest (which I love as well). All in all, this movie is amazing and can't wait for Superman vs. Batman in 2016 and Justice League in 2018!!!
on June 13, 2013
The "Man of Steel" movie is both action and plot heavy, dealing with complex spiritual issues as well as what it means to be human. On the other hand, the action is heavy-handed, with punches, bullets, and other weaponry being thrown at people on a regular basis. This combination of depth and intensity creates a powerful film, both visually as well as in theme. The performance of the story was breathtaking. As expected, the visuals were stunning; the special effects were phenomenally crisp and the scope of the camera was often wide, presenting the scenery itself as a spectacle. The acting was exceptional as well. Shannon's Zod was angry, driven, and resourceful, everything a good soldier is meant to be. His lines were powerful and his intentions and thoughts were practically visible on his face as he acted. Cavill's Superman also performed exceptionally. Each line was delivered with honesty to the character. His part was not really dialogue heavy, but his role was emotionally demanding, requiring sadness, fury, remorse, and empathy at various points in the film. His character is vulnerable and emotional, unsure of himself, which Cavill communicated well. Adams as Lois Lane was an interesting choice, and her role is not given as much screen time for development, but she did do a good job playing a driven reporter, dedicated to her work, even if it means bending the rules. It will be interesting to see where her character is taken in the next film (which is confirmed as a Batman/Superman movie according to news from Comic Con). The standout performances are definitely the two fathers, Costner and Crowe. The fathers, without giving anything away, are given numerous occasions where emotional scenes are required of them. Their sequences were powerful and convincing. I almost cried in the movie twice, and they were involved in them both. Their performances were moving.
The story itself was the highlight for me. The story fearlessly stepped into religion, humanness, choice, evolution, and power, stepping out unscathed. There will be many who disagree with the film's presentation of the ideas, even I would disagree in places, but, by dealing with them, they gave the film depth. Also, besides philosophical depth, the movie's plot was gripping from the beginning and, overall, solid. The film revealed just enough of the plot to keep the audience informed and then continued, using flashbacks to catch the audience up as necessary. The plot had no real twists, but the plot was not necessarily predictable (I have not read the comics, but the comics could deal with the story. So, comic book fans could be familiar with the plot; I am not sure). The story was compelling, emotional, and relatable. This film ranks, in my opinion, as the best so far this year. The acting, story, and music were all great, giving the Man of Steel a five star return to the big screen.

Acting: 4.7
Plot: 4.8
Overall: 4.74
4343 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2015
Received this Blu-Ray case cracked, blue chip pieces, and case spline split. One finger print on one of the four disks! Huh, I don't get that one either.
As for the movie, I have not watched it as yet using this product. I did watch it on HBO and it had cleaver writers, twists, and fairy good acting. I would recommend this one for the special effects in 3D.... very good.
review image review image
on December 10, 2013
I went into this really wanting to enjoy a reboot of the series, and I was open to new actors, new writing, a new direction, but this was just too much. The story is all over the place with dizzying back and fourth flashbacks, the plot is either too hurried or too maudlin, and oh the CGI is unbearable in this. A little goes a long way, but after awhile there's just too much CG lens flare, CG explosions, and the overused CG "rag doll body goes flying"-thing, over and over again. The fights are just a blur of CG smoke, explosion and debris, to the point that you can't tell what's going on or who's fighting who. I actually got to the point in watching this where I was tired and just wanted it to end as the frenzy of computer animation just overpowered every other feature of the film. The music is vapid, and a far cry from the spectacular John Williams power, and Henry Cavill, although a fair Superman, looks like a bulky weight-lifter in his non-Supes sequences (especially in the sequence where he steals the clothing after the rig fire... he looks like he just came back from the gym all bulked up.)
This one really diappointed.
on October 6, 2015
First of all, I gotta say this box set looks so cool from every angle and at any collection. The way they shaped and carved the box is very succesful. Solid 5 out of 5 craftmanship which makes you feel like unboxing a limited edition collectible. (mine is 29.000 out of 50.0000 btw) The PQ and extras definetly worth watching for over and over again. Simply one of the best blu ray steel book ever!!
review image review image
on May 24, 2015
I'm sorry to say that I did not like this movie. It was very choppy and hard to sit through. I actually stopped paying attention somewhere in the middle, because I wanted it to be over. The plot did not make very much sense. Also, the characters seemed a bit pointless. Even the action scenes were boring to me. I don't like to be critical of other people's hard work, but this was a waste of my money. It was probably the most boring super hero film that I've watched since Hulk.
on May 26, 2015
Just finished watching this endless mess of a movie, always hoping it would didn't...its dark like recent batman movies..superman was more 'innocent' and no way, could Lex Luthor ever be a bad guy to him, after all that has gone on in this went back and forth all the had soo much endless unnecessary boring loooong action!!! main actors, were well chosen, just used a the director had access to a heap of money, and added in everything that he could, and made one of the most ugly movies ever!! the amount of death that went on, with everything that was smashed/blown up etc - that's not superman!!! why do makers of movies etc try to 'reinvent them', when they were perfect before?!?! no wonder, another one hasn't been made...a great shame...if they had done it right originally, then there would have been more,..we've had this stolen from us, by this bad movie..would have loved to have seen more movies with these actors etc...even though, now, the original movies with Christopher reeve, may look corney etc..they still will remain, the true 'superman movies'...shame this movie, couldntve just updated it...that's where it failed..trying to reinvent the 'wheel'..when it was already good..RIP superman...hopefully someone will come along, and just update you gently for the present...there is enough of this kind of destruction seen in this movie in reality...we go to see superman as an escape...not this ugly crashing buildings etc...way too dark and depressing...
on June 21, 2014
This is the only movie I've ever seen where I seriously considered walking out of the theater. Among the problems; way too much CGI, pointless and prolonged battle sequences, too little focus on Clark, and a disturbing final battle all culminated in an ultimately joyless exercise. Sadly, this is the world Warner Bros. is going to build on.