4.0 out of 5 stars Man Vs Machine - which is he?
Published on October 4, 2002 by JOHNBLAZE

2.0 out of 5 stars Rage against "Man Vs. Machine"
Published on April 18, 2005 by Scott D. Gribble

4.0 out of 5 stars Man Vs Machine - which is he?, October 4, 2002
JOHNBLAZE (Denver, CO, USA - The Mile High City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
Okay, okay... You got me. I'll admit it. I was never really an Xzibit fan. Sure, I'd listen to a couple of his tracks and bop my head to them, but I can't honestly say that I've felt Xzibit for all that he is. Until now. "Man Vs Machine" is perhaps one of the best albums I've heard from Xzibit. Ever. His lyrics are harder and more profound - like he's been itching to spit them for a LONG time. He has a solid production base (Rockwilder, Dr. Dre, Rick Rock, Jellyroll, even Eminem) which adds to the effect of this album. The first single "Multiply" featuring Nate Dogg is already a hit on the west coast and is quickly spreading across the nation. The infectious hook and beat make it hard to sit still for long periods of time - definately a good thing. However, the album's highlight is without a doubt "The Gambler" featuring Anthony Hamilton. (Anthony Hamilton sang the hook for Nappy Roots' "Po' Folks".) This song is worth the price of the CD alone. Produced by Bink!, this song will most definately cause many to break repeat buttons on CD players all over the nation - it has that type of effect. The incredible production, added with Anthony Hamilton's 70's style crooning and Xzibit's raw lyrical ability make for one of the best tracks Xzibit has released in a while. Another standout track on the album is "My Name" which features Nate Dogg and the now infamous Eminem (who also produced the track.) On the song, they lay their haters to rest - there's even a play on Nas' "Ether" at the end of the song which will make most gasp with shock.
Sadly, this album is not perfect. On "Heart Of Man", Xzibit's intentions and lyrics are felt - but the production is not. Also, "Choke Me, Spank Me (Pull My Hair)" features Xzibit singing - yes, SINGING. At first listen, Xzibit sounds unrecognizable. It appears that he succumbed to the new singing-rap cliche as other have done in the past (such as Ja Rule, Nelly, even Nas). Those tracks aside, this album will definately impress and satisfy. Try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of hip hop's finest....., October 1, 2002
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
This is a hot cd, the lyrics hit hard and keep your eardrums stingin. There is more of a variety of beats on this besides dr.dre, the beats by kay slay, rockwilder, and dj premier are done nicely. All songs are bangin though, cop this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rage against "Man Vs. Machine", April 18, 2005
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
This album was literally collecting dust in my collection. It's been reduced to a cardboard box along with a mess load of albums that I simply don't listen to. That's not to say there aren't some incredible tracks on here, but they play better in a mix and not along with the rest of Man Vs. Machine. Xzibit's lyrics are on par with "Restless" and Dre again handles executive production on this album, so what could possibly be bad, right?

Dre actually DOES NOT produce the best track on the album "Multiply". It sounds like classic Dre material, and even the Amazon editor was fooled enough to think it's Dre, but instead we have Denaun (frequent d12 producer) bringing this killer beat. The Dr. does provide one of the best songs later on with "Losin' Your Mind", where Snoop plays hype man for X to the Z's nice verses. It was a nice though to hook up M.O.P. with Xzibit on "BK to LA", but the track would have been much better served with a grimy sounding street production from Primo.
Em provides some nice production for the Jermaine Dupri diss track "My Name Is". Sure it fails in comparison to "Say What You Say" or even Xzibit's freestyle and in all honestly the beef with Aftermath vs. Dupri has to be the most lopsided battle ever; nevertheless the track is more than welcome.
"The Gambler" has a catchy beat and chorus from Anthony Hamilton and while it's not your typical Xzibit track, it works well. Erick Sermon returns to help out Mr. X on "Right On" which is one of top three tracks on here. Xzibit has a really nice flow here, switching up and going double time for half of the song.

In general the album really has way too many mediocre to bad tracks. It's surprising because Xzibit really NEVER lets up when it comes to the lyrics. Even in denial, it seems you actually have to blame the organization and production missteps on the Executive producer: Dr. Dre.

The slow prodding "Release Date" really doesn't capture X's intensity, nor is exactly the best track to open an album with. "Symphony in X major" has to be one of the weakest Dre beats ever heard. If that wasn't enough, Dre makes things worse by getting on the track and rapping about how great his production credits are. On any other track this might work, but when Dre falters so much here with the beat, it doesn't help to brag. It's really not that bad, just disappointing for Dre. Although he recovers with the slightly repetitive beat for "Choke Me Spank Me", Xzibit tries to sing and flow DJ Quick style. It works ok, but the stupid chorus brings makes the track even less listenable.

The quick paced beat on "Break Yourself" really allows X to shine and switch up the flow, but it's unfortunate that the beat is also horrible. Not only does "Heart of Man" sample Toto, not only does it sound like absolute crap, but it was already used EXACTLY like this by JA Rule!! It just doesn't get any worse than that. Despite all these factors Xzibit actually drops some quality lines, but even the most classic verse couldn't salvage this. The Golden State crew track drops some unbelievable lyrics on "Harder" (most curtsey of Ras Kass), but again the terrible Jellyroll production is only outdone by the sillya** chorus.
Xzibit's touching lyrics on "Missin' U" are ruined by the bland production, cliché chorus and awkward sound effects (spaceships, distorted r&B whaling and others). "B**** A** N*****" is a follow up Eddie Griffin speech to "Ed-Ucation" from 2001, except it's not funny and is basically just random ranting. Xzibit's first falter lyrically is on "Enemies", but you can't blame him because the beat is awful. Literally one element of the song is random banging on the piano.

The bonus CD is easily the best part of the album (although at the time it was billed as a "Limited Edition" bonus, it seems like it's included anyway now). "My Life, My World" is a pretty solid track, and different from the typical Xzibit track. Although, its not different in the fact that he tears up the track ("The game is vicious constant hostile conditions/ For the times I dropped jewels and nobody would listen/ A new position, got a couple of pots to piss in/ Got the aim of Oswald, n**** I ain't missin'/ If everybody eating' who the f*** gone clean the kitchen"). The Rockwilder produced "(Hit U) Where It Hurts" is better than 85% of the rest of the tracks on Man Vs. Machine. Finally "What A Mess" is not just one of Xzibit's best songs EVER, it's also one of DJ Premier's best... EVER. For Primo fans, this track alone is worth the 12 bucks admission. Thanks to whoever for that bonus disc, curse Dre from not putting those songs on the album and taking off some of the weak ones (his own included).

No one can really fault the lyrics of Xzibit on this one, although at times he doesn't sound as on point as he always has, but he certainly hasn't lost a step. It's painfully obvious that the production and organization of this album is a complete mess. It still shocks me that Dre was the Exec producer, but then again Dre did drop the ball on a couple of projects at this time (Hittman, Rakim, King Tee to name a few). Still, as much of a perfectionist that Dre is, it's hard to believe he released this. Xzibit was clearly disappointed with Dre's involvement as well, seeing as Dre is no where to be found on his new effort "Weapons of Mass Destruction".

There are 6 vintage X tracks, and 2 or 3 others that are enjoyable. But, it can't make up for the other 10 that are just disappointing and at times flat out suck. While the great songs might balance out the bad and might make it worth it to pick up, don't expect Man Vs. Machine to live up to X's previous standards or the standards of a decent rap album.
(4.5/10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Man Vs Paparazzi Vs X Vs Multiply, November 5, 2002
J. Highsmith (Mitchellville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
Although, I never bought "At The Speed Of Life" or "40 Dayz And 40 Nights", "Paparazzi", "Foundation" and "What U See Is What U Get" did impress me. However, Xzibit didn't have my undivided attention until I heard him on Snoop Dogg's "B Please" that was produced by Dr. Dre on Snoop's "No Limit Top Dogg" CD. When I found out that Dr. Dre had agreed to executive produce "Restless", I knew that I would have to purchase my first Xzibit CD. Before his CD was released, he was featured on the classic Warren G "Game Don't Wait" remix featuring Warren G, Snoop Dogg, and Nate Dogg and on Eminem's "B Please 2" with Eminem, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Nate Dogg. His first single, the Dr. Dre produced "X" became a summer smash and "Restless" was released. The lyrics and beats were on point for the most part and I was impressed with the material on the CD. Tracks like "Front 2 Back", "U Know" w/Dr. Dre, "D.N.A." w/Snoop Dogg, "Don't Approach Me" with Eminem, and "Best Of Things" were definitely in my heavy rotation. However, the glaring difference between "Restless" and his early work is that Xzibit was settling more for the simplistic rhyme style. Instead of coming up with clearly thought out tracks, it seemed as if Xzibit was settling more for making people dance. With "Man Vs Machine", Xzibit is following the same formula. Although, "Restless" did receive its platinum plaque, his fans expect more from him. The CD gets of to a nice start with the first track, "Release Date". The song is composed of a prison inmate preparing on what he will do once he is released from jail and what's been going on in his head. This is a classic X track. On "Symphony In X Major", Xzibit is joined by Dr. Dre on a nice track but the song is clearly brought down by a lackluster chorus and bridge that is supposed to be resembling a symphony orchestra. On "Multiply", Xzibit gives up what we come to expect from him now. A beat to make you bounce to and a Nate Dogg chorus. However, the formula works this time. This song is not close to being the best song on this CD, but "Multiply" is the perfect lead single. Dr. Dre produces two tracks on "Man Vs Machine". He produces the best and worst song on the CD. "Losin' Your Mind" featuring Snoop Dogg is the reason I am glad that Xzibit hooked up with Dr. Dre in the first place. The bassline will have your heart jumpin'like you saw Halle Berry or Sanaa Lathan in person. Snoop shows up for the hook and this is clearly X at his best. Unfortunately, on "Choke Me, Spank Me" (Pull My Hair) Xzibit is at an all time low. I understand that most artists have to have a club joint for the ladies on their CD but when Xzibit fans hear this track, they will be left bewildered. Dr. Dre wasted a nice beat on this song. Other standout tracks include "BK To LA" w/MOP, "My Name" featuring Eminem and Nate Dogg, which is really "Say What You Say" Part 2, "The Gambler" w/Anthony Hamilton, who hooked up Nappy Roots' "Po Folks", and Xzibit presents a nice tribute to his mom on "Missin' U". If you purchased the limited edition version of this CD, you also will receive 3 bonus tracks. The best of these are the DJ Premier produced "What A Mess" as Xzibit definitely takes advantage of the Premo beat. The Bink produced "My Life, My World" is definitely worth checking out as well. Whenever Xzibit decides what he wants to be, his career will improve. He has yet to reach his full potential. I am sure that he never planned to be mainstream at first, but when you have a chance to work wth Dr. Dre, you can't pass that up. Other producers on "Man Vs Machine" include Rockwilder, Erick Sermon, Jellyroll, Rick Rock, and Denaun Porter from D-12. Overall, I rate this CD a 3.5 because you are blessed with some bangers and then you are left disappointed by songs like "Break Yourself", "Heart Of Man" and the underachieving "Harder", although Ras Kass represents as usual. If you are a Xzibit fan then pick this up, if not, you might want to hear the CD before you buy "Man Vs Machine".
James' Top 5
1) Losin' Your Mind w/Snoop Dogg
2) Release Date
3) My Name w/Eminem & Nate Dogg
4) BK To LA w/MOP
5) What A Mess (Featured on the Limited Edition Bonus Disc)

2.0 out of 5 stars Getting worse, not better, February 24, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
After the unevenness of Xzibit's last album, I was hoping/expecting better things from "Man vs Machine." I'm starting to wonder if Xzibit and Dr. Dre just can't adapt to one another's styles. It almost sounds like a collection of tracks that were cut from the last album - Xzibit's rhymes are almost as flat as the beats. Xzibit's voice is actually somewhat timid, certainly not the growl from before. It's just such an average release from an assembly of above-average talent, that the overall feeling is one of frustration - why isn't this better? The only bright spots on the album are when Eminem and Snoop pick up the mic on guest spots.
Bottom line: skip this one and pick up Snoop's "Paid tha Cost" instead. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars x man brings again, June 20, 2005
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
Xzibit hits big with this one

here are the tracks to listen to

#1 release date

#2 symphony in x major

#3 multiply(my personnal favorite track on the cd and my 3rd favorite song of all time)

#4 break yourself

#9 losin your mind

#10 my name

#11 back to L.A.

#12 the gambler

#16 enemies

Hope this helps

Rob( x to tha z follower)

3.0 out of 5 stars The "I wanna be on radio" release, March 31, 2003
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
I miss the rugged tracks from the old dayz. Where are those anymore? I'm talking bout the pre-"I wanna make millions and be on radio" dayz. The dayz when the muzik moved you. I'm talking bout the dayz of the West Side Connection, and NWA. Hell, even this guy was nutts when he was with the Alkoholiks. Maybe I'm being too harsh, it's just that I was expecting more from him. I had to have his previous release, "Restless", and wow, what an album. This one, was aiiight, but it lacked the meanness. It sounded too radio. I love Dre and Em, but there was something lacking here.
I have to give him credit on a couple tracks though that make this album worthwhile. The track "Symphony in X major" is kinda neat. Dre and X try to do something a little different with this one and it works. "Multiply" has a machine-like beat which, I guess, plays in with the theme of the album. Not a bad track - but geared for radio. "Heart of Man" is my personal favorite on the album. It's not a gansta song, but it's a nice change of pace from all the...lyrics that most of the hip-hop artists incorporate into their songs (not that I mind those songs, just that a change is nice from time to time). A song that I've seen has been dissed by a couple people (including Mr. Higgins) is "My Name". Now I don't like to tell people that their wrong, but what the hell, I'm entitled to my own opinion, right? They're wrong. This track is where it's at. I find that Eminem is at his best when he's featured on a track. There's something that he brings to the table that brightens up the track. I don't mean brightens in the sense that it's all flowery. I mean brightens in the sense that it makes you wanna move your head and learn the lyrics so that you can sing and your girlfriend tells you to shut up cause your ruining the song (not that it's ever happened to me). But of course that's just my opinion. I guess that if you don't relish the fact that Mr. Mathers has used his couple minutes on Man Vs Machine to walk up one side of Jermaine Dupres and down the other, then I guess that you won't like the song very much. Either way, I don't really care. The song has a great beat and some catchy lyrics. X tries to push the envelope with his annoying song "Choke me, Spank me (Pull my Hair)", but I recommend that he stays with his "beat your...own" songs and to stay away from the S&M.
Overall the album has it's moments. There aren't many tracks that need to be skipped. However, there aren't many that make you want to put on repeat. X kinda fails to live up to the hype that comes with recording under the legend of the Dr. I wish that I could give half stars, because I think that this album deserves more than 3 stars, but I don't think that it quite makes it to 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Best X-to-tha-Z record available, October 2, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
Hi, this cd is awesome. It should get 5 Mics in the source and XXL in the XXL magazine. It is a great record filled with sentimental songs and party hits. The best songs are Heart of Man, Multiply, Symphony in X, basically just about all of them. X gets serious in this record and no one, not eminem, not snoop, not Pharoahe Monch, not even Nas can touch this lyrical demon. The only one that comes close is Nas, then Eminem at second. Production by Dre is superb and is amazing. Cop this record at all costs. Dont sleep on this ya'll. Peace and I'ma go listen to the New Nas and I'll drop a review on it. Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars X to tha Z did it again, August 7, 2004
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
All right its yall boy Angel Of Death again im here to tell yall about this hard as hell cd . my favorite's are Choke me Spank me ( pull my hair ) and Multiply. I like Choke me Spank me ( pull my hair ) Because when I first heard this beat on Pimp my ride I was like Damn thats one tight as hell beat. And Multiply That hook by Nate Dogg is tight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xzibit: underrated, April 22, 2003
This review is from: Man Vs Machine (Audio CD)
X to the Z is definately underrated and so is this album.
what this album lacks is more of Dr. Dre's production and serious promotion. i've only seen "symphony in X major"'s video once on BET and i haven't seen X make any guest appearences anywhere on tv, if he's trying to sell off his last album's success (yes it actually went platinum) then he's got the wrong idea. the beats are weak on this album and sadly, the beat is what makes up 50% of the song's value, 30% is the hook and 20% is the verses. X has provides the proper lyrics to make a hit cd but doesnt have the right production on this one. regardless of the lack of production this is still a hot one, you just have to LISTEN to it. although most don't acknowledge it; there's a diffrence between listening and hearing. hearing is a function of the ear and listening is the the usage of the ear's hearing. but back to the cd. i recomend putting this one in the box and pushing "shuffle" cuz no matter what order you hear the songs you're still gonna get the same effect. Symphony in X major is a hot one, very original w/ the choir singing. all the tracks are at par with one another, the stand-out songs on this one are: "multiply" (obviously cuz it has Nate Dogg and anything w/ Nate Dogg is tight.... think about it), "release date" (no hook, straight spittin, very raw), "symphony in X major" (obviously), and "my name", a very raw and gritty diss towards JD of So So Def (there's also a underground freestyle out over the "grindin" beat that's straight fire, u should find that one if u like "my name"). the rest of the tracks are OK, they're not bad, but could have been tweaked in certain spots, long time fans of X (like me) will like this one.
holla back!

Man Vs Machine
Man Vs Machine by Earth, Wind & Fire (Audio CD - 2002)
Rate and Discover Movies