Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 28, 2008
First off. I am a big fan of Bear Grylls. I watch his show regularly, and I have read about his climb to the top of Everest. With that said, this book left me a little disappointed. It does have a lot of information in it and glossy pictures but it lacks the nitty gritty info of other survival manuals. For instance; I did not find a list of basic items that should be carried in the bush. Also, the fire making section doesn't really touch on how to use the flint and steel used by Bear in his show. I guess if you are a fan of the show Man vs Wild then this is a good accompaniment. But, if you are looking for a good survival skills book this isn't it.
on January 16, 2009
I'm a big fan of Bear Grylls and the Man Vs. Wild series. That said, this is an interesting read, nice pictures, but it's not much more than a picture album for the Man Vs. Wild series. It makes a very interesting coffee table book. But if you're looking for a true survival manual, look elsewhere (The SAS Survival Handbook is excellent). "The Kid Who Climbed Everest: The Incredible Story of a 23-Year-Old's Summit of Mt. Everest" is also a book by Bear Grylls and is very good.
on October 4, 2015
GREAT BOOK! GOT IT FOR MY BOY. HE RIPED THE PAPERBACK COVER BY ACCIDENT WHEN UNWRAPPING IT. THEN WE REALIZED THAT THE BOOK WAS A HRD BACK AND HAD A REAL OLD SCHOOL PRINTED COVER. SO IT WORKED OUT GREAT. BOOK IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SURVIVAL AND A MUST IN YOUR SURVIVAL KIT. BEAR GRYLLS IS OUR HERO. WHEN YOU GET DEPRESSED, YOU CAN READ A CHAPTER OR SO AND GET MOTIVATED TO GET OUT AND LIVE!! MY KIDS PRACTICE STUFF THEY LEARN FROM READING IT. THEY EVEN USE IT IN SCHOOL AS READING MATERIAL AND SHOW AND TELL. AWSOME GIFT FOR BOYS, GIRLS, MEN,WOMEN.
CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THIS BOOK.
NOW IF BEAR GRYLLS EVER WRITES A BOOK ON TAX EVASION...GOD HELP THE IRS!!
on May 13, 2008
I haven't completely finished reading the book, but I must say that it is very useful and full of wonderful information, provided in an entertaining way. Mr. Grylls enthusiasm in sharing his knowledge is apparent and holds your attention and also helps you to remember his tips (such as figuring out your prioritites in a survial situation - Protection, Rescue, Water, Food, summarized in a helpful mnemonic: Please Remember What's First!). I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with an interest in survival techiniques or who just loves the show Man vs. Wild and Bear Grylls!
on January 9, 2015
great book but not really what I expected , it's not a field manual . if your looking for a book you can read and stow in a rucksack this is not it . it's more of a reference book you read at home and leave in your book shelf . it's really informative you can learn a lot from it especially when combined with the TV series . like I said if your looking for a book you can take out in the bush with you this not that book , but all in all a great addition to any survival library .
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2012
As someone who really enjoys Bear Grylls and Man vs. Wild, and survival type stuff, I ordered this book, mostly thinking it would be more like a clever marketing ploy and not very substantial, but took a chance anyway. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase! I disagree with the top ranked reviewer in that it doesn't provide any real survival information. In my opinion, it reads more like a textbook then anything else. I found it to have TONS of great, practical information about survival situations.

The text is fairly small, and there is a LOT of detailed descriptions of various scenarios and envirmoments that you may someday have to survive in. I found it to be unlike his show in that it is NOT reckless and does NOT demonstrate improper survival techniques. There is a LOT of QUALITY information on survival in this book, along with great color photographs and some Bear anecdotes scattered throughout. I own several other survival books, and this one isn't my favorite, but it definitely has it's place as a valuable resource amongst them. Worth checkin' out if you're into survival type stuff and/or into Bear Grylls. I bought my copy "used," which, if you're unsure like I was, is a safe bet.

Not just marketing hype or poorly written, actually very good!
on February 6, 2015
Fun read that contains valuable information. I must have a dozen similar books, the how to survive this or that scenario. This is the only one that qualifies as a coffee table book and it resides right there in front of the TV!
on December 24, 2013
You learn a lot from this book, the information is very useful. All you need is this book before you start to collect outdoors survival gear. Practice what you learn and you will be Bear Grylls junior in no time.
on November 13, 2012
This book has some good points in it. I was thinking this would be the guide to all things outdoors. I thought if I had this on me I would trudge off into the wild so to speak. Well, until I saw "Into the Wild". That poor guy had a book and ate the wrong plants...
on March 26, 2011
This book is exactly what I want. It has everything he teaches us in his shows and more. Great for just reading, or keeping as a quick reference guide.
Only down side is the book is kinda big. We could have done with out so many Bear Grylls self pics. But not bad enough to deduct a star.