Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 4, 2013
If you want to help your employees grow - while holding on to them longer, you have to mentor. Enter the revised and expanded edition of, Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning, by Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith - an easy to understand handbook for creating great relationships and talent.

All the information is here to create a self-directed learner, from planning, to rapport, discovery, and ensuring the transfer of learning. Mixed in with the 27 chapters are fitting case studies to help pull everything together. One of the things that I liked most of all was, The Mentor's Toolkit, at the end. A short series of assessments, FAQs, and stories to help you promote and support continuous improvement.

As Bell and Goldsmith say in the book, "Mentors practice their skills with a combination of never-ending compassion, crystal-clear communication, and a sincere joy in the role of being a helper along a journey toward mastering". And how do you get there? Read and use this book as a guideline and you'll be well on your way.
on May 30, 2013
Some books have the why and some books have the how. This gem has both!
It starts with a mentoring self-evaluation; it provides the essential mind-set,
qualities and context that must be brought to the party. It provides a specific
tool-kit for the mentored and the menteed. If you lead, manage or parent others
go buy this book quickly and learn from the masters.
on May 28, 2013
Being a mentor shouldn't ever be a drain, it should be mutually beneficial. Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith believe in the shared benefits of mentorships. They have collected their experiences in this practical and useful book. I've been mentoring for over thirty years and I learned many new thing from this book. Feed forward was a real winner. Feed forward is an ingenious tool for providing and receiving ideas in advance of actions. Don't miss this useful tool.
on June 4, 2013
The single most important action you can take to advance your career is to partner with a great mentor. Imagine how far you could go with two great mentors? In Managers as Mentors, renowned leadership experts Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith serve as sage mentors as you learn how to be a great one yourself.
--Bill Treasurer, author of Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance and Courage Goes to Work: How to Build Backbones, Boost Performance, and Get Results
on May 21, 2013
I love "Managers as Mentors" if for no other reason than it's filled with lots of "the light bulb went on" moments. I also appreciate and applaud the many examples that authors Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith use in this third edition of their classic book. "Managers as Mentors" is divided into short, quick, easy-to-read and absorb chapters; the entire book can be read in an afternoon.

I love acronyms, and Bell and Marshall make great use of SAGE in their book. S stands for surrendering, A is for Accepting, G represents Gifting, and E is for Extending. Each of these letters is the focus of a part of their book, and each of the parts has several chapters, with the final chapter of each section being a case study. The book ends with a terrific toolkit. The bibliography and index are helpful and are of the quality usually found in a more scholarly, rather than practical, book. Kudos to Bell and Marshall for those extra steps!

My key take-aways? I've probably been a mentor without realizing it; "Managers as Mentors" will make me more intentional and a better mentor in the future. And on page 142, they write, "If you can only use 2 of these ideas, you are still 2 ahead." Simple, profound and true. Definitely worth remembering!
Ask any satisfied career person the key to their success and they will often say, "mentoring." Most managers don't know to where or how to get started with building partnerships for learning. Well, no more worries. The two gurus of coaching and leadership have joined together to give us an artful execution of a classic.

Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith have not only provided us with a brilliant step-by-step SAGE model, complete with PRACTICAL action but also with case studies from six leading CEO's who describe mentoring challenges and successes and provide tangible advice. As a new manager, I recall how I read (and reread) a previous edition of this book to guide me through mentoring challenges. Though I am in a different role now, I see multiple reasons for continuing the learning journey with this terrific book by my side. Buy this for yourself and everyone you work with!
on June 4, 2013
A good manager makes you want to do a better job, a great manager makes you want to be a better person. This book will help you become the mentor you always wanted and honor the terrific ones you had.

I've been blessed to have six mentors, five of whom have passed away and in my mind they all continue keep guiding me to be the best person I can be and when I get down on myself for being less than perfect or less than superhuman, they firmly say to me in my head to stop. Just saying that and thinking that is causing me to feel my gratitude to them in my stomach and cheekbones.

on June 12, 2014
Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning by Chip R. Bell and Marshall Goldsmith

There are varied reasons for which I’m inspired to read a book, but none as compelling as this new book, Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning by Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith. I was drawn by the title, but engulfed by the content, starting with the first line above the table of contents, “Beginning Our Journey”. The table of contents could have sold the book, but real attraction came in the comprehensive coverage of mentorship, what it is, how to be a mentor, how to create the safe environment, how to start the relationship, how to end it when the protégé has reached graduate status. It’s all there. It’s all in this book.

Do you ever start at the end of a magazine and read from the back to the front? I do. How often do you start at the back when reading a book? Not that often. Right? I’m generally systematic about reading books, even non-fiction. Even though the authors said, “Most books are meant to be read from beginning to end. This is not one of them.” I found myself at the final section of the book where I was “Beginning Our Journey” as pointed out earlier. Why would I do that? I was enticed by the Mentor’s Toolkit. There are 6 tools mentioned, each of them serving a unique purpose; here are just two of them:.
Tool #1 - Tips for Mentors and Protégés
- Mentoring is about learning, not looking good in front of your mentor. Be yourself
- When your mentor gives advice or feedback, it’s a gift.
- Great mentors foster discovery, they don’t instruct; ask thought provoking questions.
- Give feedback strongly focusing on the future, not heavily rehashing the past.
Tool #4 – A list of excellent books on the topic of mentoring

Rewinding to the front of the book, I was tempted to jump around and select topics on a whim, but I couldn’t do it. I read that mentoring relationships thrive under the SAGE model. The acronym stands for S – Surrendering, A – Accepting, G – Gifting, E – Extending. Those definitions gave me incentive to read the book cover to cover so I didn’t lose the inherent knowledge of how mentoring relationships form and thrive.

Mentoring has immense value, especially as employment platforms expand, technology advances quickly, and opportunities for learning are vast. Remember when we heard “It takes a village.” everywhere we turned? It hasn’t changed. This book acknowledges the importance of mentoring and offers practical guidelines as well as ample forms of assessment for mentors to determine their talent for mentoring and others that measure their effectiveness when engaged in a mentoring relationship.
Think about this. What would hold you back if you were the protégé? In fact, that could apply to the mentor too. Trust? Safety? My favorite section of the book discussed creating a safe haven where both parties of the mentoring relationship learned the elements of trust, enhanced listening skills, asking awesome questions, and nurturing courage.

What stands out in this book is the use of storytelling to further develop the scenarios that help readers apply and identify with mentoring techniques that thoroughly define and add value to the mentoring relationship. Supportive case studies add interest to each topic, but they also provide proven techniques conveyed through interviews with managers who have adopted and succeeded at mentorship. Managers as Mentors? Yes! This is the perfect prescription for Building Partnerships for Learning.

I was given a copy of this book.
on June 4, 2013
Chip Bell and Marshall Goldsmith have given the leadership development world and managers everywhere a real gift! Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning is a rich resource, filled with wisdom, perspective, and examples drawn from their impressive careers in the field. And while the focus is on mentoring, the book offers insights and information for anyone interested in learning, informal development, or engagement... in the workplace and well beyond. Each page offers practical tips and advice that can be immediately implemented. Thanks to the authors for this updated classic!
on May 24, 2013
This is not my first Chip Bell book and it didn't disappoint. As managers, we often hope our direct reports and our broader organization can improve their performance via osmosis and observation. I'M GUILTY! Rather, Chip and Marshall challenge us to actively plan for mentoring, reminding us that payroll is our biggest asset and it should be nurtured much better. And the book is an inspiration that shows us the potential of this nurturing. So why then do many of us leave the nurturing to osmosis and observation? Good question and this book is a great kick in the pants to change that thinking. Read it and share it!