Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Baby Sale

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on August 25, 2009
Good book for creating your personal brand. Very well planned and deep reaching. Thorough without being overly lengthy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When I first got into the Brand Called You game, it was through the Tom Peters article in Fast Company magazine many years ago (1997). A phenomenal insight into how personal brands develop; how we need to understand and manage our personal brand; how the Internet changes the game; how to develop a platform for you so your brand travels with you regardless of your job, company or position.

Managing Brand You expands on that concept with LOTS of granular detail. The book takes into account many nuances not addressed (or even available) in Tom Peters' earlier work. There are also enough references to the earlier works as to show the genesis and progress of the concept (Inc. Magazine just wrote an update interview with Tom as well. Worth the read).

David McInnis of PeoplePond has just released a personal SEO and branding solution that I believe takes the best of these writings and puts them into practice. Definitely worth a look (a preview can be seen at [...] ).

In the future, personal brand will matter as much or more than the company you are currently employed or own. Though both can benefit immensely from a coordinated brand alignment effort.

Great book. Definitely one of the top 3 in the genre'.
on January 5, 2011
The introduction and seven chapters, which correspond to the seven steps, outline the primary author's (Wilson) "Brand You" concept, developed over several years as a senior vice president of Coca-Cola. The chapters have cutesy titles like, "Who am I and how did I get here?"; "I can get there from here;" and "I can build my own personal roadmap on my own terms." Managing Brand You presents tools in the form of tables and in each chapter, a fictional character on the path to self-branding offers examples of how to fill out those tables. The book stands alone and does not drive the reader to websites or other media. The authors state that, "The 7-step process presented in this book will help you get there effectively, efficiently, and enjoyably." I agree; this book does indeed provide steps to "get there." However, it provides very little information on what to do with your brand once you arrive. While the tables and examples in Managing Brand You are useful for self reflection, the seven steps are elementary and the text provides no references for deeper study. I was extremely disappointed that there was not at least a chapter devoted to one's Internet fingerprint. The book was silent on the subject and I consider this a serious flaw. I would recommend this book for anyone who is beginning to brand themselves and has no experience with personal branding (i.e., high school students and undergraduates).