5.0 out of 5 stars Millennial Angst
The first line of the book hooked me: "Raise your hand if you have ever had an encounter with a younger employee that left you completely puzzled. Relax, you are not alone!"

Published on May 14, 2010 by John W. Pearson

2.0 out of 5 stars You're Still Mommy and Daddy
Published on October 5, 2010 by TheConsumer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Millennial Angst, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Managing the Millennials: Discover the Core Competencies for Managing Today's Workforce (Hardcover)

So the co-authors are urging you to lower your blood pressure--and learn some new skill sets so you can work with, and bless, the radically different Millennial Generation. How different are they?

The Millennial Generation (also known as GenY, born between 1978 and 1996) are the first generation "that does not need an authority figure to access information."

"We do not expect you to be our best friend," admonishes a Millennial, "but when you evaluate or critique us, we want you to do it in a friendly way (just like our parents did)."

"She asked for an extended lunch hour to go shopping with friends, after her third day on the job."

"They pick up computer and cash register skills quickly, but if it breaks they cannot count back change from a $10 bill."

Yikes! The authors warn that if we don't bridge the gap and understand Millennials--then who will fill the leadership roles in the future? According to a workforce crisis study, "At least 50 percent of the executives in the United States will be eligible to retire in the next five years." So--get with it!

Yet, "from an early age, Millennials were taught that they were special," and that, along with other cringe factor characteristics has revealed a work environment where "the tension is so thick in some organizations that it has become debilitating." Come on, can't we all just get along?

I read Chapter 11 first (a common ploy to see if a book is any good). Of the four generations currently at work, three are "playing nice," but the new kids on the block (Millennials) are causing all the angst. Titled, "The Big Picture Does Not Exist Until You Help Them See It," focused on "broadening the myopic," one of nine "perceived orientations" of Millennials. The eight others: unfocused, indifferent, autonomous, imaginative, entitled, self-absorbed, defensive and abrasive. Fortunately, the book delivers with practical help and solutions, including charts like "Perceived Orientation, Millennial Intrinsic Value and Required Managerial Competency."

Simplicity is a key. "One thing that will ring true to you if you have ever managed Millennials is that they will exhaust themselves looking for an easier way to do something." One author asked a Millennial to locate some information. An hour later, no info. Two hours later, still no info. The younger worker had been searching for the answer online, instead of phoning.

"If the world was run by Millennials, his instinct would have been right. But because they do not run the world yet, we asked him to humor us and make the call."

He added, "Though Millennials value simplicity, they are not simplistic. Leonard da Vinci said it best, `Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'"

The book is well researched, yet highly readable. Plenty of stories. You'll get discouraged but end up inspired to bridge the gap. You really don't have a choice in this.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Found My Key..., April 21, 2010
Paul Croshaw (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I hired my first "millennial" about two years ago and was constantly thrown curve balls with the way they worked, the way they answered my questions, their actions, and the ease they would make requests from me. In the end I was forced to adapt because they had the tech savy I needed to keep my business up to day. But, I made some crucial mistakes with a few that cost me lots in time and money. But after finding and reading "Managing the Millennials" I believe I found a "key" to this new world. Just about all the situations I've faced with the millennials are apparently not new, and listed in this extremely organized book. I especially like the charts and examples of what a manager says and what a millennial hears. Also how different millennials work and the incentives that work best for those individuals. I read the book in two sittings and now keep my copy in my desk as a situational reference - which I've already used several times. Buy the book - believe me - it's going to save and make you money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Insightful, Timely, September 10, 2010
As a veteran college professor and administrator, I found this work to be extremely practical. The cases reflect a real-world context with which most readers will easily relate. The clear and concise implications drawn from the research are insightful and relevant. As the millennial generation forges new frontiers never before possible, the book is a timely relief - particularly for those of us a couple of generations removed.

Kudos to the team for a helpful work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Timely Insight for Older Managers, February 17, 2011
I have found this book an essential companion in the last year or so as I interview, hire and onboard millennials in my team. It provides a framework for understanding and working with them and I have recommended it to at least 3 other CEOs who have confirmed the book's relevance in today's management arena.

The authors have done a good job with capturing a significant but rather subtle change as we transition between generations in the workplace. I will recommend this for anyone who hopes to hire and work with this crop of talents arriving with new packaging and no instruction manuals, sort of. This book's arrival is timely, and is sort of a quick user guide to get you started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant to Health Care Managers and Leaders, October 20, 2010
I have read and re-read your book, Managing the Millenials, and am planning to incorporate the key concepts into a workshop I teach to rural health care leaders. The book is a great framework for understanding the issues for Gen Y and confronting the stereotyping in a practical way. It is solid conceptually and offers real opportunities for skill development. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Read on the Subject, March 9, 2014
In my preparation for conference seminar, I downloaded and read about 10 different books on the subject related to Millennials in the workplace. Espinoza hit it on the head on a number of different points.

He mentions it in the opening paragraphs, but it bears repeating -- the practices you take away from this books will make you a better manager of employees of all ages, not just millennials.

My favorite section of the book dealt with "suspending the bias of your own experience". Espinoza goes into more detail, but it's essentially the ability of managers to not reflect back on their managers treated them as newbies, but instead develop a new framework of their own that is more suited for this time, place, and cultural shift.

2.0 out of 5 stars You're Still Mommy and Daddy, October 5, 2010
Such disappointment ... I was hoping for a book that would provide real solutions in managing a workforce that often underperforms, is frequently insubordinate, and fails to get with the program. What this book basically says is work around all that. You're not pandering, you're "managing." Call it by a different word (this book does that a lot) and perhaps it sounds better.

My favorite -- "embrace resistance." What does that mean? Get used to the fact that your employee with the overinflated ego can't take criticism and try to deliver feedback in a way that doesn't offend him?

This generation may not be interested in the same rewards? Fine. Please go work someplace else.

There is also the presumption that everything that this generation brings to the table is great, an underutilized resource. Many of the M gen have great ideas, and many of them don't -- just like older workers. And even a great idea (those things are rare, BTW) isn't any good if it isn't executed with proper follow-thru.

Another presumption is that boomers and gen x can't cope with tech. Not true, and quite frankly, I would rather hire, train, and promote a more mature worker than deal with a spoiled, insecure, do-it-my-way nonstarter. There are enough unemployed experienced and skilled adults to choose from.

Not all Millenials are awful, of course -- but enough are so that money is to be made on books on how to manage them.
I bought this book, and it wasn't worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a better human., October 8, 2014
Very informative and a great read for anyone that manages millennials, or people in general. Excellent perspective and insight on how generational values differ, yet share commonalities. I enjoyed the anecdotes and stories, and I can relate to some of the frustrations outlined. These skills will help you to become a more effective leader and a better human in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent resource for supervisors, March 7, 2014
Perfect book for anyone working with our managing this age group! They think the complete opposite as this baby boomer but if you have this book you'll know how to supervise and work with millennials andostop pulling out your hair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, July 30, 2013
This book is easy, practical and no-nonsense. It's a great read for baby boomers and millennials alike. It has relevant scenarios built into it as well so it really does make for a practical primer on how to deal with millennials in the workplace. Really helpful book and I've referred it to several fellow "boomers."

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›