Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on May 31, 2011
Interesting book, the ending is not at all what I expected.

This book is not for the squemish, the opening scene has the cops hunting down illegal children and shooting them. They catch upto one of the runaway mothers and surround her, she holds out her baby saying its just a doll not real and they shoot it. The graphic deaths in this book especially of children is a bit much.

Is it thought provoking though, could this really happen? The government is corrupt and has most the population branwashed, they decalre that you need a license to be a parent with no way qualify to get the license all the children become illegals and are shot on sight. Schools are closed and burned down, hospital maturnity wards closed down, daycares closed up, etc.

The only ones that can get a license are the elite that are in the government, they are trying to create a race of supreme humans and rid the world of common humans. Kind of like what Hitler tried to do.

I won't spoil the ending for you all but it is not what I expected at all.

Overall a good read but lot of violence and graphic death scenes.
on August 27, 2011
I found writing a review for this book to be pretty difficult. I had mixed feelings about this book. When I first heard about the content, I found it to be very distasteful. The thought of a society that would commit these heinous acts on children was disturbing. The first part of the book actually had the most graphic part, so if you are worried that you might find that disturbing, it is on the sample. The rest of the book alludes to the violence, but it does not take you there.

What I did not like about this book was how "preachy" it was. I mean, we get it. You do not have to say how evil this regime is over and over again. I felt like it was beating me over the head with it. You should put more action in. The part where the government starts cracking down on our heroes is where this book really shines. The best part of the book was the ending. I loved loved loved the ending! I thought it was very well written! If you like Dystopian evil governments, then this is the book for you.
on December 14, 2012
Unfortunately, the fictional events related in this story have the possibility of becoming following generations' reality. We have already set out on the path.

I became accustomed to the editing oversights (grammatical and punctuation). And, although I don't care for the type of violence described, it "fit" the tone of the story. The real turn-off for me was the too-frequent use of the "f" bomb. Its usage was overkill, and dropped what would have been a solid 4-star rating to a 3.
on October 22, 2012
I finished this book back in August and still haven't decided whether I liked it or not. I have mixed feelings. It was a thought provoking concept, but I was very unhappy with what was happening to the children and the ending was not very satisfying. The book did keep me interested though, I never considered just giving up on it. I guess I was hoping for something good to happen... I do want to read more by this author.
on June 12, 2011
Have been reading Mandate 33 for a couple weeks now. Not my usual book habit, normally it only takes me a day to read a book of this size. Mandate 33 is very intense and as a mother, I find it horrifying to contemplate - hence why I am still reading! I can only emotionally handle the story a few paragraphs at a time. For me, this is a real complement to the author,I am strongly affected by the story and have a strong reaction. Good Job!
on October 21, 2012
I really did like this book, but I wanted to love it. The theme is right up my alley, and I was excited to read the story. I would also recommend it to anyone who likes the genre. I wish I could give half stars, as I would say 3.5. It's just not quite enough for me to give it a 4 star rating.
I was left wanting more. Even now, when I think about this book, I wish there had just been more - more meat! Overall I think that the book is just too short. What is there is overall good - definite highs and yes, a few lows, but nothing that made me dislike the book.
Two things I wished for: First, I wish there were more character development. So many things happen to the characters that would have hit harder, had I felt more for them. Second, there are gaps where time passes; I wish that instead there were more insight to what they were thinking, how things got to the point they were at and what was happening during those gaps.
****I don't know if this will show that I am a verified purchaser of the book. I received the Kindle edition as a gift - NOT from the author, but a friend.****
on August 21, 2012
A chilling story about runaway government and the stupidity of the masses. Wonderful characters I truly felt I knew. The last chapters do feel rushed and put together. I wish the author would have illuminated more the occurances and deepened the plot but still an absolutely wonderful read. An updated 1984 that is far less visually gloomy but with a much more horrible base for the story. Do read this and realize government is not the answer.
on February 27, 2012
Much like 1984, this book makes you think. We all tell ourselves it could never happen, that people could never be so blind or stupid as to let government become a cold, unfeeling machine. But, what if? How would you live in a world like this? Could you function with police and spies surrounding you, being suspicious of your neighbors, wondering if a stranger was going to turn you in? You hope that you would be one of the "rebels" in this situation, but would you find that you were just another sheep following the herd? This book makes you think about all of these things, and more.

I see that other reviewers are warning potential readers of the disturbing scenes involving children. There are also a few disturbing scenes involving a dog, so animal lovers beware. These scenes fit with the character of the story, and show what can happen in a paranoid society, but I found them disturbing all the same. Not enough to make me stop reading, though! This was an excellent story, and I highly recommend reading it.
on January 17, 2014
I would best describe this as a futuristic horror themed story. I thought it was somewhat a homage or fusion of the movie "ZPG" that I saw many years ago, and "1984"

I did enjoy the premise of the story, a totalitarian, shadowy government that is evil, corrupt and incongruent. I enjoyed the world building and the dark and sinister atmosphere.

However, the timing of events was off in places and didn't quite gel. I would have liked more character development particularly with Salinda, she was the most interesting character for me. I felt that the plot fell away at the end and really didn't quite fit into events as they had played out. Finally, I wanted to know what had happened to let the country be in such a state because from what I read into the ending the future was going to, had changed rapidly.

It's a bit of a depressing read, there isn't any lightness of shade to alleviate the grimness of such a world as described.

A three star rating because for my mind, too much was left open to supposition.
on October 22, 2012
This is a short novel that reads quickly. I was able to get into the atmosphere of this world early on. I cared about the characters and could understand their motivations.

This story made me think about how I would have reacted in a situation where enterin into normal, caring interpersonal relationships could put your personal safety in jeopardy. Just for this, it was worth the read.

I would have liked to know more about the motivation of the rulers. The last part reads more like an action story while the beginnig's strong points were the psychological aspects. During the ending I have missed the dark aspects that were creeping on you.