5.0 out of 5 stars Two Sides to All Yoga Mats; Know Which Side is Up
Published on January 31, 2005 by L. Wilde

3.0 out of 5 stars Yogafiied
Published on February 23, 2006 by E

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Sides to All Yoga Mats; Know Which Side is Up, January 31, 2005
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
Yoga mats come in three basic thicknesses. At 1/4" this one tops even the thickest sticky mats. Roughly the thickness of two average mats together, this one will help cushion all those boney parts and not bunch up the way two mats together always seem to do. It's not only thicker, it's denser to boot. It's cushion without mushiness. However, this cushion comes at the price of being quite heavy -- more heavy than four average mats combined! Probably not the best choice for a mat you tote around unless you want to get in some extra strength training. This one is the kind you buy, find a place for, and leave it there. Also note that the roll this yoga mat makes is huge, something to consider if between practice storage space is an issue. The "thick" mats at 3/16" will still provide extra cushion without the hassle but if you've tried them and they're still not enough, this might be the way to go. Mats that are about one third as thick as this one (1/16") are good for travel or placing under a thicker mat to provide more traction. The average mats are about 1/8." This mat is also two inches wider than the average mat, 24" is the standard width, and three inches longer than average -- 68" is the standard length.

There are two sides to this and nearly all yoga mats. Look carefully at the 'bumps' on each side of the mat. On most mats, the larger bumps are designed to face upwards to cushion your hands, feet, and knees during poses while keeping your body from dangerously slipping out of alignment. The smaller bumps are designed to face downwards to grip the floor and keep the yoga mat from sliding. With this mat it's slightly different. Manduka's mats have a unique dotted bottom surface that holds the mat in place during your practice. It looks unlike any other mat you've ever seen. This mat also has a brand label on one end. Just like on most but not all mats with a label, it is located on the 'up' side.

You will need to wash this mat once before using it the first time to remove the coating. Instructions for this are included with the mat. This yoga mat will increase in stickiness with use. (So do most mats.) They start out mildly sticky and increase in stickiness the more they are used. If you find yours decreasing in stickiness each time you pull it out, this is the typical sign that a light coating of dust or too much body sweat has accumulated on your mat and it needs a light hand washing with very diluted soap and water. After washing, dry your mat unrolled, inside, and away from sunlight. (Hanging over the shower bar works nicely.)

When you first unroll your mat you will find one end to be a bit curled. Simply alternate the direction you roll your mat (top outside once, then bottom outside next) or the end you start from (curled end once, flat end next time) and you'll find it straightening out more or less over time.

I recommend buying your own yoga mat even if your yoga studio or gym provides them for you. I've worked in many studios and gyms over the years. Sometimes management has mats cleaned often, sometimes not. If you bring your own mat you always know where it's been. :o) Plus, owning your own mat may encourage you to begin valuable practice at home.

For my students who have trouble with their knees in some of the poses requiring the body weight to rest on a knee, I recommend temporarily folding over one end of the mat to get double cushion under the knee while still leaving one layer under the rest of the body. This saves you having to haul more than one mat out each time you practice which can be discouraging especially to the beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which Size Manduka Is Right for You?, May 28, 2007
I obsessed about whether to purchase the regular size Manduka or the longer 85" model. I am only 5'9" tall and was told by almost everyone that unless you are 6' tall or over you don't need the longer mat. Besides, the longer model is "so" heavy. As usual, I went my own way and purchased the longer mat and am glad I did. I love the longer mat. First of all, when I am completely stretched out on my stomach, my entire body is on the mat, face, hands and feet--not on the floor. I like the balanced feeling of every part of me being on the mat. Also, when I do my various asanas, I can now start in different spots on the mat and therefore put less wear and tear on the same spots. Second, I am afraid I don't understand the "weight" issue? The 71 inch model weighs 6.5 pounds, this one weights 9 pounds. For me that's not much of a difference, especially since I am only carrying the mat from the parking lot to the yoga room, not backpacking across India. Most of the time the mat is at home anyway.

As far as the Manduka mat in general, I have used two other mats and this one provides a lot more support. I find it to be very dense and firm, with just enough tactile feeling. And, the mat does not move around on me. I really like that. My yoga teacher said this was the best mat around.I am glad I listened to her sage advice.

Joe Drew (Kent, Ohio)

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to get better? Get a better mat., December 11, 2007
$85 for a yoga mat? Like most of you, I had the same reaction, but it is one of the best investments I've ever made. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but the best always is -- and this mat is clearly the best. That's why your instructor uses one. You won't believe how much better your poses and jump-backs will be until you try it on this extremely supportive surface. It's well padded, but firm -- never squishy -- so your stability is excellent; and its surface relies on texture, not stickiness, to ensure superb grip, even when sweaty.

I also highly recommend the 85-inch length. I am not a tall person (at 5' 10", I am exactly average), but I love the extra length. I no longer ever find myself having to readjust a pose because I didn't start in exactly the right spot on the mat. It is a bit heavier (9 lbs.), but so what. It's exercise.

Now let me make a case for why this mat is actually a good value:

I have only been practicing yoga for a year (three 1-hour classes a week), and in that time I have purchased two mats for $30 each. One I've already worn out (material broke down from use) and the second one is on its way to wearing out. If I buy a third $30 mat I am now up to $90 in just over a year. The Manduka mat will last a lifetime and will make your practices better. And at $85, it's cheaper than any single club in my golf bag (and I carry 14 of those). So my opinion is: suck it up and spend the money. It only hurts for a minute and you'll forget all about it the first time you step onto this mat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't wait. It's worth the expense!, August 22, 2006
Rose (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
First off, I've been practicing ashtanga/power yoga for about a year and a half now. I'm not an expert, but I know what works for me. My hands and feet sweat a lot during class. Most mats I've tried turn into a slip-and-slide after the first 5 minutes. From day one I've had to use a towel under my hands at the front of the mat to keep from collapsing in down dog. I've tried them all, your standard "sticky" mat, a mysore rug, etc. The sticky mat gripped until I got sweaty then it was worthless. The mysore rug needed to be so wet to grip that I ended up sitting on wet spots (not fun). The Black Mat is the only one that works. It grips perfectly and I don't even need the towel under my hands. I also love that it is so thick and dense. It doesn't "follow" me when I jump through, provides plenty of padding for my knees/arms, and is very stable for balancing poses. I even like that it's heavy...it helps tone my arms!

5.0 out of 5 stars The only yoga mat you will ever need, March 29, 2011
D. A. Ross (Minneapolis, Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
After spending months borrowing my wife's Gaiam yoga mat, she surprised me with the Manduka BlackMatPRO for my birthday. When the hefty box arrived from Amazon, I knew immediately this mat was unlike any other mat. After hoisting this beast out from its container, I was eager to pop in the YogaX DVD from the P90X series. I'll comment on a few of the Manduka's best features:

(First things first, before attempting to hold Downward Dog, beware this mat arrives with a slick coating on its surface. According to the package, one can either wash the mat with mild soap and water, or allow the mat to achieve optimal tackiness by simply using it a few times. Either way, you won't be able to take full advantage of the mat straight out of the box.)

THICKNESS: this is the main selling point for me. The yoga mat I previously used was far too thin, causing strain on my knees, feet and hands, as the floors in my apartment are cement. The Manduka is very thick and dense, minimizing the floor's impact. Awesome.

SIZE: does it really matter? Yes. This mat is a little wider and longer than most yoga mats, making it ideal for taller guys (and gals) who want a little more room to maneuver.

DURABILITY: with a mat this expensive, one would hope it can withstand years of punishment. To show their confidence, Manduka slaps a Lifetime Guarantee on this bad boy. The materials used in this mat are top-notch, and you can tell a lot of thought went into the manufacturing process. So, go ahead and abuse it; the mat will last longer than your ability to hold Warrior 2.

VERSATILITY: can the mat be used for more than just yoga? As the description states, the Manduka mat also works well for pilates, but others, including myself, use it in the P90X series as well; specifically AbRipperX and Plyometrics. The mat can take the punishment.

STYLE: plain black -- no silly patterns or pastel colors. This is a mat that is as serious as you are about your workouts. Perfect.

Honestly, even if I had not received the Manduka BlackMatPRO as a gift, I would still endorse it and spend the money purchasing it. This is an ideal workout aid for yoga, pilates, abdominal work, etc., which means it is an investment in your health. You're worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yogafiied, February 23, 2006
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
I bought the black mat due to great Amazon Customer reviews. Bottom line with this mat: If you are going to use the mat to constantly go to the yoga studio, buy the Purple Travel Mat from Manduka. If you are keeping this Black mat at home and not needing to travel with it, its an excellent mat. The Purple Travel mat is great for traveling, light weight enough and provided adequate yet firm padding for joints/knees. The Black Mat which I returned due to its weight and bulkiness, is better as a stationery, at home mat. Its depends on where you pratice your yoga. Both Manduka mats a wonderful products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Slippery when Wet, January 20, 2010
HPNP (California) - See all my reviews
Depending who you are (and perhaps more appropriately, how much you sweat), this mat may be the best thing or the worst. On the plus side, this mat is the most durable and stable of any mat I have tried, and I have been doing yoga for many years. Also, the bigger version at 85 inches gives you more room to work than almost any other mat on the market. Once you scrub the mat down with soap and water after you first get it (see other reviews), this mat is also sticky WHEN DRY. However, if you sweat and get the mat wet at all, it becomes VERY slippery. This has really been a problem for more rigorous vinyasa flows. You can buy a sticky towel to put on top of the mat to stop the slipping, but buying a towel for another $45 is hard to stomach after paying almost $100 for this mat. If you sweat, I would highly recommend the Jade yoga mats instead. They remain sticky when wet, but are less durable than the Manduka. Namaste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iyengar never felt so good, April 21, 2004
ADifferentView "charaka" (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
I have been practicing yoga for nearly 3 years. I feel that the Black Mat is the best investment I have made. Its comforatable for all the floor work, and stable for all the standing and inversions asansa.
Its heavy, but no no one is perfect.

2.0 out of 5 stars Emperor's clothes, July 24, 2011
A. Evans (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
In many ways this is a nice yoga mat. It is built from a sturdy rubber. You can tell it won't disintegrate over time like most of my mats have. It has a nice weight and thickness providing good cushioning from any hard floor without being too spongy or floaty.

But my main reason for buying this mat was to reduce or eliminate slippage due to sweat. I generally do a pretty hardcore yoga session for about 1.5 hours and produce a decent amount of sweat. My hands and feet get sweaty and sweat drips off my torso onto the mat. My cheapo Target yoga mat is decent. It has a porous foam base to it and the sweat gets absorbed away from the surface.

The Manduka is clearly a closed pore rubber. There's no where for the sweat to go. It sits on top of the mat. And thus, no surprise, it's incredibly slippery. Ice skating rink slippery. I simply cannot hold moves and I have almost slipped and fallen as I was prepping for the starts of moves. It's a complete non-starter. Clearly others have run into this problem (just check out the 1 and 2 star reviews) but you also see it in some of the 5 star reviews if you look closely. One lady who gave the mat 5 stars admitted it was slippery but rationalized that it would make the yoga workout that much better.

But what really annoys me about this mat is the 'break-in' instructions. The mat, once shipped, needs to be cleaned of a film on the mat. The company has some instructions on their site and other people have commented on various techniques they've used. I followed the company's instruction. FIVE times. To no avail. But I have to ask. When I'm spending over $100 on a piece of rubber, why on earth am i, a Manduka mat novice, being asked to perform what obviously seems like a hit or miss break-in procedure of the mat? Why isn't the company doing this? The mat presumably lasts forever so what special property does this film have? It makes no sense. The company even sells a cleaning fluid. How about you just clean your mat before sending it to your customers. Doesn't that make sense?

At any rate. This is going back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, rugged, heavy, slick without some attention., May 27, 2007
J. V. Lewis (secure undisclosed location) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Manduka BLACK PRO Yoga and Pilates Mat (Sports)
I have tight hamstrings. Down-dog is very hard for me, and my version of the asana is rather wide, creating thrust at hands and feet. I bought this mat hoping to get better grip, especially when sweating, than is possible on lighter mats. The extra weight is acceptable, and even the ridiculously high price I can handle in exchange for durability and a truly non-slip surface. Oh well. As delivered, the surface is actually the slickest of any of my four yoga mats. I have used the mat twice, and then went looking for the packaging to return it. But one of my teachers suggested that I scrub it with a stiff brush, hot water, and a little dishwashing detergent. This really helped, and now I really like this mat. I wonder why it doesn't come iwth instructions for this necessary prep-work? Or, better yet, why not ship it ready to use? After all, for $80, one expects a rectangle of rubber that is virtually perfect. Anyway, the prep-work isn't too onerous, just annoying.

Manduka Black Mat PRO 71-Inch Yoga and Pilates Mat