Mandy Moore
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$11.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 20, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Mandy Moore is back and is the only pop teen diva that is taking a chance in her music creatively, unfortunately it is not paying off as of yet.
Moores first single "In My Pocket" has to be one of the best new dance songs to come around in a long time. Produced by Emilio Estefan, it infuses dance, techno, disco, and a little middle eastern fuse that for some reason is not hitting radio....Why? when this song rocks, has great hooks, beats and is great while driving in the car at fast speeds on the freeway.
While Jessica Simpsons mundane, Britney Spears clone single "Irresistible" currently riding the Billboard wave into the Top 20 on the Hot 100 singles chart, "In My Pocket" can't even register into the chart-(they were release around the same time)....shame.
Moore took a big chance going into a different direction, and it shows on her album cover, very reminiscent to Andrea True Connection from her #1 disco classic (More, More, More) and France Joli with her Top 3 disco classic (Come To Me)- giving a 70s disco/dance feel.
Though this album is much better produced then the disco music of the 70s, has more feel, style and energy.
Even if Moore does not sell copies, she gets my full attention as a pop diva taking a chance with her career heading in a different direction.
With other standout songs "17", "Yo-Yo", "Crush"...this album is solid through and through.
My hats off to you Miss Moore for going the OPPOSITE direction of Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson.
A very good pop dance album.
VINE VOICEon July 5, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Mandy Moore maybe another cookie cutter pop princess, but she's climbing out of the dough with her Junior album. The young singer has a really distinct sound, that blends pop, guitars, east indian music and a sugary voice. I orignally listened to some clips on a site of her CD, then proceeded to Amazon and found great reviews so I went out and got the album...and I'm here to say YOU SHOULD TOO! There are two main themes that are carried throughout the album: Guitary Upbeat Pop songs, and the whole Middle Eastern music. Despite the themes, every song stands out in some way, so no two are exactly are the same.
One of my fave guitary type songs is "Yo Yo" a poppy track you'd find on any teen show, with a mix of guitars and slick beats. Similar songs to this are "Cry", which is a bit slower, "Crush" that reminds me a bit of the Plumb song "Stranded.", and "Turn The Clock Around", a sweet song.
As for the middle east music, there is the dynamic first single "In My Pocket" that is doing well on the radio, despite being so different. "You Remind Me" has a more upbeat tempo, thats a bit more poppy, but has a very interesting "Meditation" guitar in the backround. "Saturate Me" is a really nice ballad with the same sort of theme, but a bit more subdued then the other tracks. "One Sided Love" has a whole drum beat, african choir sound effects, and a cool yelling chorus...if you enjoyed her first singles ethnicity you'd love this track. "It Only Took a Minute" is sort of a crossover of the two themes, that sort of reminds me of earlier Madonna songs.
There are a few songs that have a different style then the two listed above. "17" is a perfect ballad for Mandy to sing as it suits her vocals, and delivers a good message about waiting. "From Loving You" takes Mandy down a country road, and it sort of reminds me of Britney's "Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know...". "Split Chick" Is a very different song with a sort of techno sound effect in the back. "When I Talk To You" is the song Mandy co-wrote and its a really nice acoustic ballad that showcases her vocals...and to put it honestly, its a lot better then Britney's co-written track, "Dear Diary"...Listeners and Readers, if your looking for a truly different and talented singer, pick up this album!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Though her first two albums (So Real; I Wanna Be with You) were almost all bubblegum pop, "Mandy Moore" has a lot more flavor. She's starting to broaden her horizons, and I hope it lasts. Though the songs ARE predominantly pop and ballads, there's some Middle Eastern flavor ("In My Pocket") and country ("From Loving You"). And, unlike her previous albums, not every song is about boys (though most are). There is a "lost friendship" song ("When I Talk to You") that Mandy Moore herself co-wrote and a song called "Cry" that I'm not sure how to place or describe.
In My Pocket--great vocals, great music, and much deeper than most pop music.
You Remind Me--not a really original song, but good vocals and music, and a universally understood meaning.
Saturate Me--another deeper song, and it's definitely not bubblegum pop.
One-Sided Love--your basic pop, but excellent lyrics and vocals.
17--awesome, awesome song; it has excellent vocals, and I love the theme.
Cry--amazing, one of my favorite tracks; not a romance song, but more self-realization.
Crush--although the chorus is standard pop and not particularly original, the verses add a lot of depth and are interesting. (The video rules, by the way.)
It Only Took a Minute--not quite pop, maybe a little Middle Eastern tinge to the music; great lyrics and excellent vocals and music.
Turn the Clock Around--great song, with fantastic vocals and a nice ending.
Yo-Yo--my absolute favorite MM song of all time; great theme and depth, and a lot more guitar music.
From Loving You--also one of my favorites; part country, part ballad; wonderful lyrics and vocals.
Split Chick--never fails to make me smile; it has a more serious meaning, but a fast-paced up-tempo song.
When I Talk to You--nice, slow ballad to round out the album; Mandy did a great job co-writing.
on March 24, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Although not as famous as Britney and Aguilera, Mandy Moore's second real album ("So Real" and "I Wanna Be With You" are actually the variants of the same theme) is very good. Most pop artists stick to chart-ready 'just add water' formulas. the album does nothing of the sort. Going for a more adult sound and featuring elements of middle-eastern influence and acoustic soft rock sounds, this album is a great deal better than most pop albums out there. It is a shame that it did not do quite as well as Britney, but I praise Mandy for the lack of Max Martin.
Format: Audio CD
Britney Spears remains the most successful and influential of all the late '90s female pop stars, but Mandy Moore is the most believable. Sure, her late 1999 debut So Real didn't really do anything on the charts or musically ("Candy" proved to be the only real hit single from the record); 2000's I Wanna Be With You featured a nice title single, but lacked anything more. In 2001, though, Mandy Moore put out a self-titled truly sophomoric record she can be proud of. Even though it doesn't feature anything as indulgent as Britney's 2001 smash "Slave 4 U," Mandy Moore (the album) proves its prowess in terms of musical genius: "In My Pocket" combines Middle Eastern Bollywood with dance floor Top 40; "Cry" is the album's best song and most original; "Crush" is sweet, like "Walk Me Home," but like it lacks a major hook. Surely Moore's effort, deemed Best of Pop for 2001, would get the recognition from listeners as it did from critics; sadly, though, the record stalled soon after its release despite its critical acclaim. Never the less, Mandy Moore is a release truly worthy of its critical success, no matter what listeners think.
on August 7, 2001
NAME:MANDY MOORE
TOTAL RUNNING TIME: 50:10
This CD deserves more sales than it got in its first weeks. This isn't your average disposable bubblegum pop. Frankly, I really liked this CD. NOTE:This is coming from a person that HATED her 1999 debut "So Real", so don't think I've been a Mandy fan for long. This has a middle eastern edge, as well as very good not-bubblegum pop songs. Here is the breakdown:
1. In My Pocket (3:40)5/5 stars. A really cool song with arabian elements. This is the first single, and you've probably heard it on the radio, so form your own opinion!
2.You Remind Me (3:34)4.5/5 stars 2 words:cool song!
3. Saturate Me (4:01)6/5 stars Definitely single material! This is also the 1st song on the CD that's not about love. It's about the wait for rain in the desert, and has nice background music, and a strong pop hook.
4.One Sided Love (4:05)5/5 stars Another arabian edged dance song. Really good!
5. 17 (3:59)4.5/5 stars Really good, yet breathy vocals. It talks about the carelessness that you can only have when ur young.
6. Cry (3:43)4.5 stars/5 stars Excellent song!
7. Crush (3:42) 5/5 stars This is the second single. Again, I'm sure you've all heard this on the radio, so I won't comment. 8. It Only Took A Minute (3:39) Get up and dance!
9. Turn the Clock Around (3:44) 10/5 stars My personal fave. Should be the 3rd or 4th single. Don't wan't to give too much away.
10. Yo-Yo (4:17) 4.5/5 stars When I heard the name of this song I expected it to be really dumb and boring. Man, was I wrong. Don't let the name decieve you. It's a really good song.
11.From Loving you (3:34) I agree with anyone who says that having a Diane Warren sogn on a CD is like an insurance policy. This is a ballad written by the Queen of Ballads.
12. Split Chick (3:44) 3.5/5 stars Pretty good song, but not as good as the others
13. When I Talk To You (4:23) 4.5/5 stars. Wow, Mandy can write as well as sing and dance. This is the self penned song on the disc, a ballad, and a nice way to end a CD
Overall, this CD is definitely worth the money. It is not like other bubblegum pop CD's, and is DEFINITELY better than her debut album...Oh, and when you put it into the computer , you can view the video for "In My Pocket", and go to her site.
on September 23, 2001
Format: Audio CD
This album truly stands out in the from other pop albums. Each track is unique, and unlike a lot of albums after there, there's no filler-songs here. Here's a track by track that should give you an idea how great an album it is:
In My Pocket- This song should have gotten more airplay, it has an exotic sound and danceable beat. It's original enough that you don't get bored after listening to it 3 times. 5/5
You Remind Me- A lot of people really love this song, but it doesn't do much for me. A soft rock feel, catchy chorus. 3/5
Saturate Me- You've never heard a song like this before! Beautiful vocals, a bridge that's almost a rap and a chorus that you'll be singing along to before you know it. 4.5/5
One Sided Love- A real rock song! Not something you'd expect from Mandy, but she shows definite talent. Dripping with attitude, very danceable. 4.5/5
17- An absolutely beautiful song, mid tempo. A real lesson about growing up. You could listen to this for hours without getting bored. 5/5
Cry- Slow verses with an upbeat chorus. Not quite as nice as 17, but another good listen. 4/5
Crush- At first this song may sound ordinary, but then you see how original and sweet it is. The alnum's second single, a big hit on TRL. The lyrics are easy to relate to! 5/5
It Only Took a Minute- An okay song, interesting beat, excellent voals as always. I could see how someone could fall in love with this, but I don't like it particularly. 3.5/5
Turn the Clock Around- This song is addictive. Starting with the catchiest opening phrase ever, it delivers all the way to the end. Meaningful lyrics, danceable, this is a stand-out track. 5/5
Yo-Yo- My favorite song ever! Seriously, ever since I heard the 30 second clip, I was hooked. Another track that's easy to dance to, complete with empowering lyrics. And I'm not bored of it after 3 months, despite the fact that I listen to it ALL THE TIME. A song you won't forget fast! 5/5
From Loving You- A typical Diane Warren ballad. Mandy does a great job with it. Not very orignal, but a good listen. It gets off to a slow start. 3/5
Split Chick- Your first thought is, "Wait, this is Mandy?" Mandy shows off her promising skills as a rock artist in this fun filled girl power track. You've got to hear it to belive it! 5/5
When I Talk to You- Mandy co-wrote this very slow song about friendships disolving. Her vocals absolutely shimmer, if that makes any sense. A beautiful song. 4/5
And that's my review of an amazing album from a very talented artist. I think we can expect lots more great music from Mandy. This is definitly worth your money, you'll be listening to it straight thru for years!
on June 29, 2001
Format: Audio CD
Ok, Mandy Moore was cut up pretty badly by critics when she released her debut album "So Real". Mandy was embraced by fans around the world, and she had an amazing rise on billboard from 77 to 36! I am a Mandy fan and have her albums and I seen her grow up on her second album "I Wanna Be With You". Mandy has always been compared, and a little less popular, than Britney Spears. On her self-titled third cd Mandy Moore stays away from the proccesed pop hits and has developed her own unique style that is both creative and you can listen to it over and over. There are middle eastern songs on the album like the upbeat dance track "In My Pocket", the catchy ballad "Saturate Me", the rock-edged "One sided Love", and the sweet "It Only Took a Minute". There are rock tunes like "Yo-Yo", which has this great beat and then theres the almost retro "Split Chick". There are alot of ballads that really display Mandy's vocal abilities, plus Mandy wrote the lyrics to "When I talk to You", which is actually quite serious. While she might not sell millions and millions, at least she knows she has reached an audience, tried something new, got involved with her music, truly experienced what it is to make music and put your emotions in it and be proud of it, and you can listen to the cd straight through without skipping a track. This album is something everybody should own and embrace and Mandy should be proud!
on September 4, 2001
Format: Audio CD
mandy moore's third album is great! she's very original and new. i hope my review will help you.
in my pocket- this was my favorite mandy moore song before i bought the album; but now there are so many better ones! it's very hard to pass in my pocket for criteria, but these songs did. anyway in my pocket is the first in the much-said "middle-eastern" category and is one of the best. A
you remind me- very pop, but cool. very cool. A+
saturate me- soft, but hard, look at a "need"-ing relationship. different than what you'd expect. A
one-sided love- the best, best song on the album. good beats. A+
17- this is okay. B+
cry- very homey feel, like you're in it. A+
crush- i love this song! i got the album for this song. i was not disappointed at all. A+
it only took a minute- sort of annoying, but all right. A-
turn the clock around- another homey feeling, pop. A+
yo-yo- great song. i was surprised because i didn't think it would be good, just an instinct. A+
from loving you- like a reviewer said for jessica simpson's song for your love, this song is so cliche. B
split chick- rock-"edge" with pop beats, split chick is a very good song. sort of silly lyrics in the chorus, but it's all good. A
when i talk to you- all right song, long and draggy though. A-
overall album- excellent and fresh and just the best! great job mandy. A+
on June 27, 2001
Format: Audio CD
The other day i was at the store and deciding between Jessica Simpson's new cd or Mandy Moore's new cd. I liked both the singles they have out now, so i couldn't decide. The store had a station where you could listen to Jessica's Cd; i was very disappointed because she has developed into somewhat of a Britney clone. I bought Mandy Moore's cd instead and was thoroughly pleased. I had loved the single "In My Pocket", if nothing else for the fact that the middle eastern rythms and instruments gave it a little something different than the other pop queens out there. I have only had the cd for a few days, but so far I really like everything. The tracks that stand out for me are "In My Pocket", "Saturate Me" (reeeeally love that one), "One Sided Love", and "It Only Took a Minute." After looking closely on the cd cover, i noticed that these were the songs produced by Emilio Estefan Jr. These particular songs were all laced with an exotic, middle eastern vibe. I really thought that was very creative and different and I just am really drawn to them. And although i like the rest of the cd, i find myself playing those songs over and over, and i wish that she maybe would have continued that Middle Eastern theme throughout instead of just on those few songs. i think Mandy should collaborate with Mr. Estefan more often! I hear that the next single to be released is "Crush" which is a nice song too, but i really hope they release "Saturate Me" because it is a very deep song, one big analogy actually, and is just gorgeous and original. All in all,I am very glad i got this cd. I am really thrilled that Mandy can be up there with the other pop princesses but be enticingly different enough to enjoy thoroughly!