5.0 out of 5 stars Solid as it should be
If you are used to manfrotto / Bogen camera supports, then you know how solid and well machined their equipment is. This little adapter is no exception. I have no worries about any breaking, flexing or "give" when attaching any lighting equipment to this thing. Well worth a few extra bucks.
One little extra feature I really like is that the pivot handle can be...
Published on October 26, 2009 by TriggerHappy

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but could use some improvement
Overall, there's are useful, robust, and a nice value for the money... But the T-handle tightening for the one end would not have been my first choice. My major problem with this unit is the fact that there are no indexing teeth in the area that clamps down on the angle. Put a large light modifier at the end of this and it'll eventually start moving, no matter how tight...
Published 11 months ago by VA Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid as it should be, October 26, 2009
TriggerHappy (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter (Electronics)
One little extra feature I really like is that the pivot handle can be adjusted to any rotational position after tightening the position, by pulling out on the spring loaded handle, turning it out of the way and then back in.
(BTW, the photo shows the adapter upside down to the position one would most likely have mounted to a stand.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Hardware, December 18, 2010
I just received this swivel (and a Manfrotto 5001B Nano stand, a Stroboframe shoe mount and an umbrella), but it's not too soon to make observations. It's a quality piece of equipment that does its job of marrying stand/umbrella/flash perfectly. Everything is held fast in place, and the flash points right to the center of the umbrella as it should. I'm sure there will be other uses too I can press it into once I think of them.

There are 2 things to consider before taking the plunge though:
- This isn't lightweight, weighing almost a pound with both its studs
- A cold shoe is required for flashes - an additional outlay

So if all you want is a lightweight, simple attach-flash-to-stand adapter, you might consider other cheaper options. But if you want an adaptable, solid, last forever (hey, just got it, but I'm optimistic) swivel, this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Debated about getting a cheaper one, January 30, 2009
Glad I didn't. Solid, perfect. Functions as it should. Worth the slight bit of extra money. I compared it to my Dad's Calumet version. His was also nice, but mine was a little more solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, sufficient for heavier 60 inch umbrella, February 12, 2010
R Gibbons (Silicon Valley, California) - See all my reviews
Strong, easy to use.

I highly recommend you buy the Stroboframe hot shoe adapter to mount your flash on top of this (if you get the Strobframe with the pin on the bottom to prevent flash rotation, You'll have to drill a hole/notch in this Manfrotto; the Strobframe with flat bottom and separate bolt works fine w/o drilling).

Edit, after using a few years:
This had seemed like it was built much stronger than needed, when I first got this with my 40 inch shoot-through umbrella. But since getting a 60 inch umbrella with removable black back, this swivel no longer seems over-built, rather it is just sufficient. For the much heavier umbrella, I have to use a great deal of strength to tighten the leaver that sets the angle, else the umbrella slips down. I have two of these, and I feel they will last a life time.

If you only use a small umbrella, you could buy a cheaper plastic swivel; but if you use a large umbrella or other heavy light modifiers, you will need something sturdy like this Manfrotto Swivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth its price, October 24, 2011
Im a single parent so budgeting is a must for me. I shoot photography for recreation because I love it. Ive started shooting for business now as well. Ive ordered the "cheaper" less expensive umbrella with hotshoe kits and they work fine. Albeit tightening the little knobs on those inexpensive kits does make my fingers numb from the pressure. I bought a boom kit and needed an umbrella adapter for it because it didnt come with one. I bought a cheap 10$ one which Im returning today, the knob that holds the umbrella rod jus keeps spinning and dosent tighten anything. So I decided to try the Manfrotto and well. Its a world of difference, full metal construction. No more sore fingers, quick release.
I hardly write reviews however I had to give credit where credits due. Ill be saving up and replacing all my other umbrella adapters. One more thing on this item; this one has like the name implies a tilt that better positions your flash to the center of the umbrella. Unlike all the other umbrella adapters. A big plus for a better even light distribution.

***Update***
Another one of the 'inexpensive' umbrella hotshoes I have , the tightning thread and screw gave out after a few shoots. Lucky I was practicing and not actual on location paid shoot. I just placed an order for another one of these bad boys. Excellent item and excellent service from amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary, but also really good adapter, February 22, 2013
Photoleif (colorado, usa) - See all my reviews
This Manfrotto swivel umbrella adapter connects your light stand to your accessories such as an umbrella, radio remote or directly to your speedlite flash. It is a heavy-duty, long-lasting addition to your bag.

Pros
* All heavy-duty, strong and solid material used in construction
* The main adjustment handle is on an external socket that permits you to re-adjust it so the handle always faces a certain direction, e.g., down for deploying or up for storage
* Double-male and double-female brass spigots (aka studs) included (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads on both)
* Fits virtually all umbrellas or with the included spigots, can adapt to 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 units
* With the addition of a second male spigot, can function short-term as a tripod camera mount (not meant for this, but it can support a few pounds this way for non-critical work)

Cons
* The handle, though configurable, cannot be easily removed for more compact storage
* The top and bottom screws will dig into your brass spigots, marring them, and if you're overzealous about it, they will collapse hollow umbrella tubes (workaround: fit dowels into your umbrella tube ends, or buy solid-stick umbrellas)

Other thoughts
Despite the cons, it's a great way to connect up your lighting components. Some improvements would include a cupped, captive, center-swiveling end to the tightening screws (top and bottom); this would keep the screw from digging into your accessories and marring them (or collapsing hollow umbrella tubes). For a while, until I got used to the directionality of the umbrella socket, I marked the normal "in" side so I wouldn't inadvertently feed in the umbrella backwards. Either way works, but you should be aware of your intended use and direction for aiming your flash, so you choose the best way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built Like a Tank, December 8, 2011
If you have any other Manfrotto gear then you'll be familiar with the solid metal feel of this umbrella swivel. All the pieces are nicely machined. No sharp edges on the brass. All parts are heavy and solid feeling. The black lever that controls the tilt is made of solid aluminum. The studs are solid brass. The two black knobs on the left are the only plastic parts. There is a very light coating of packing grease on all of the threads.

It holds my umbrella secure and tight; no drooping, loosening or shifting. I use mine with a Manfrotto Nano Stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality, and mates well with the Manfrotto 5001B stand, April 26, 2010
I was looking for an adapter that would work with my Manfrotto 5001B stand, and this quickly made my short list. I've been impressed with the Manfrotto brand over the years, and this adapter's build quality did not disappoint. I have used it on a number of photo shoots so far, and it serves its purpose well.

The one con that I might mention is that it comes with a completely useless user guide. I had to assemble it on to my stand using commonsense as well as trial and error.

Note that I use this adapter in conjunction with a Westcott 43" Optical White Satin Collapsible Umbrella, Manfrotto 5001B 74-Inch Nano Stand, and a Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount. This combination works exceedingly well for my purposes.

Happy Strobing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, A must have, March 22, 2010
I have several other umbrella adaptors and i must say that this one beats them hands down. there is no room for comparison. If you have spent 400 dollars on your flash gun, I think you would want to invest in something that keeps it from falling. I have complete faith in mine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty and functional, June 5, 2009
It works. Holds the flash or the light solidly. Versitile and rugged. I don't like the little bolt thingy with the sliding tightner, and would suggest replacing this with a knob. But, this adapter works well just the way it is. I plan to get a couple more, just in case.

Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter