4.0 out of 5 stars Stable, precise, lots of possibilities, but a bit heavy
I bought this head and tripod mainly to take night pictures. The first opportunity which I had was in Miami in May 2008. The challenge was taking pictures fighting a strong wind, but this Manfrotto tripod came through under those difficult condistions.

Pros:
- highly adjustable (goes from 8.45 to 74.8 inches)
- stable (=heavy)
- precise with...
Published on May 9, 2008 by Sebastian Zontek

1.0 out of 5 stars Good equipment, bad customer service
The bag that Adorama supplies does not fit the equipment that is included in the kit. I ordered this item from Adorama through Amazon. I was very disappointed with the quality of the customer service. First, Adorama will not answer their phone if you select the customer service option. The only way to talk to a human is to select the sales options, and have them...
Published on May 16, 2008 by PhotoPhreak

4.0 out of 5 stars Stable, precise, lots of possibilities, but a bit heavy, May 9, 2008

Pros:
- highly adjustable (goes from 8.45 to 74.8 inches)
- stable (=heavy)
- precise with 3-way pan head

Cons:
- heavy (but it means stable)
- does not fit the bag with fully mounted head

I definitely recommend this tripod to anybody who needs a stable and highly adjustable tripod, but doesn't mind the weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, July 23, 2009
Howard (Exton, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto Pro 055XPROB Tripod (Black) Outfit with 804RC2 Pan Tilt Head (Electronics)
I just got this in the mail yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. It is very sturdy. Just as other reviewers have mentioned, it is a bit heavy, but it makes up for the weight in stability.

I use it for both my video camera and my DSLR. I was considering going with a ball head, but since I was using it for video too, I opted for the pan - tilt, and I am glad I did.

For me it was worth spending the extra money over purchasing one of the flimsy consumer models. The stability and adjustments are worth it. My brother is a professional photographer and recommended this to me. In my research I came across tripods that were between $300 and $1000. I can't imagine what they do over this model.

Awesome tripod...

5.0 out of 5 stars Tall enough for me, but if you are less than 6'1", beware., October 3, 2008
Update: Really love this tripod. I bought a case for it (can't remember what brand at the moment). It is a bit heavy to lug around with a Canon 40D and a few lenses. Walking around Tokyo for two days with all this does make the lower back sore, but that's not surprising. All in all, I'm happy with it. I've used it on numerous occassions, and am still happy with my 5 star rating.

I haven't had a chance to use this yet, as it just came in about an hour ago, but after having set it up, I must say that I am happy with it.

I am 6'3", and with the center column down all the way, I only have to slightly drop my head to look through the viewfinder of my 40D.

The shortest adjustment knob was already attached, and my only complaint is that the rubber gasket had been thread through with the knob, tearing it in half. I don't see this as being a problem, but we'll see.

Granted this is my first tripod, and I haven't carried it around yet, it does not seen excessively heavy, considering it's size.

Once I use it some I'll update my review if there is anything needing mentioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, stable, tall tripod., October 31, 2009
NJayBar "NJay" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I was turned onto Manfrotto tripods by a friend of mine that owns the very similar 190XPROB, with the same head (804RC2 Pan Tilt Head). I did my research, and decided to go with this combo instead for a couple reasons. Much like another reviewer here on Amazon, I'm 6'3" and wanted to make sure that I have the option to NOT slouch over to take a picture. At full extension, the tripod is easily a couple inches taller than me, but still has the option to shoot only inches from the floor. (The horizontal centre column feature is new to me, but VERY easy to use, and pretty cool too.) I am ok with the extra weight the tripod packs on (which honestly isn't that much), for I think it more than makes that up in stability. I shoot real estate with multiple exposures of the same picture, so it's important to me to have a tripod that won't move (even slightly) between shots. The legs, and especially the center column are very easy to use, and slide in and out effortlessly. In my opinion, this tripod is the full package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, strong, heavy, July 27, 2013
I knew it would be sturdy, strong, and heavy. I read the reviews. And it's not something I'll have fun heaving around. But, unlike my previous tripod, it doesn't droop, it can handle the heavy lens, it stays where I put it. And it has the Manfrotto name behind it. I'm happy with my purchase. I learned it doesn't pay to cheap out. I'm not a professional photographer, but even so, I went top of the line this time. It'll last forever so I think it'll be worth it. Advice: never get a ball head. You set the shot, turn loose of the camera, and down it goes an inch or so. This one does not. You set the shot and it stays set. No regrets. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Contortionist - Great for the Range, June 21, 2013
I never thought I'd buy an ~$200 tripod, but this unit is well worth it. When I saw how the center post could be rotated into a horizontal position, combined with how the legs are not locked together, I was sold. The difference is night and day between the Manfrotto and your typical 60" tripod.

I bought this mainly for use with a spotting scope at the shooting range. I'd used table-top compact tripods, which are unstable and always ready to get knocked over, and regular tripods, which are solid enough, but must be located too far away for easy access. But with this tripod, you get the sturdy base of a standard tripod, but with the horizontal post feature, you can locate the spotting scope right over the bench. And since it's resting on the ground, it stays rock steady; granted, if you have that much weight hanging out on the end of a horizontal post you will get some movement, but it's not a problem for me at 60x magnification.

Another thing you can do is adjust the legs to different lengths and different angles, so the post can be horizontal or at an angle. In this configuration, you can set a chair underneath it and use your spotting scope for stargazing. Once it's set up, it is essentially hands-free when looking and you get very clear views. It's really comfortable to be laying back in a lounge chair and looking up at the heavens with the scope just sort of floating above you.

I prefer the 3-axis head because of the way I use it. If I was going to use this for point-and-shoot photography or wildlife watching, I think I'd prefer the ball head (actually, I think I'll get one to have around). I saved ~$50 by getting mine used through Amazon Prime, and as far as I can tell it was brand new and unused.

5.0 out of 5 stars very stable, well contructed, but a bit heavy, June 9, 2011
I bought this tripod mainly for long exposure photography. I love it, is so stable with heavy lens, let me take moon's pictures without trepidations. The central column and adjustable legs are nice for keep the tripod always vertical. I think it's a bit heavy for long walks, but perfect for studios.
The pan tilt head is awesome, giving complete control in 3 axes. It's solid and reliable, with quick release plate and safe lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Review Manfrotto 055XPROB, October 24, 2008
I am a professional imaging scientist with many years of experience in difficult assignments. This is an excellent product for studio or field work, with small to medium format cameras. I strongly suggest the use of a carrying sack or even an assistant for extended field work, but the weight and strength of this model more than makes up for the ease of a lesser and lighter unit. There is no substitute for a GOOD TRIPOD. This model is a good tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Build like a tank, July 5, 2014
The pan-tilt head leaves something to be desired when I am in a hurry, but everything on this (other than the levels) works great. FYI bubble levels are pretty much always crap in anything, so i'm not docking a star for that.

Extremely sturdy, and could double as a personal defense weapon if needed.

The only thing I wish this had was an easy way to sandbag it, and some way to attach carry straps without drilling holes in it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Big, February 28, 2014
I wanted a tall tripod and I got one. I was concerned with the next smaller one as I am 6'2" and have a large lens that mounts directly to the tripod. Shooting birds in a tree the lens would be elevated and the camera would be lower so I got this one. I think I would have been OK with the next smaller lighter one. I am concerned with taking it overseas and have not done so yet. If I carried it it would be counted as my carry on and I have a large Pelican case I carry my camera and lenses in that is my carry on. I worry about losing a suit case with this expensive tripod in. Other then that it is well built and does everything they say it will and holds the weight of my Cannon T4i and 100-400 L series lens with no problem.