5.0 out of 5 stars Great monopod
Published on August 12, 2006 by TimMd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Only the Monopod Is Slipping
I’ve owned many different tripods, heads, and monopods of all sizes over the years, up to a massive Bogen 3035/3047 for a 4x5 view camera I used to have (sold the camera but still have the Manfrotto-made tripod). Manfrotto has long been my favorite brand for camera supports, so it pains me to write a less than positive review of one (actually two) of their...
Published 5 months ago by Pileated

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monopod, August 12, 2006
TimMd (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 679B Monopod 3-Section Replaces 679 (Black) (Electronics)
I have been using this monopod for years. It is especially helpful when doing video work as it can be used in a crowded room, like a wedding reception, without getting under foot. I have also used it to hold the camera over 12' to look down at the center of a group. It also helps counterbalance the camera as you move about. If you need an extremely stable camera platform, without the large tripod footprint, get this monopod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, August 6, 2005
A little heavy for what it is desinged for, but that's because it is built like a tank. Compared to other similar items, it may be 2x the price but it is 10x the quality.

I bought this for several small cameras that I take out for family outings. It is probably overkill for my small digital camera, but it keeps the camera still which helps prevent blurry pictures.

It retracts to a relatively compact size and has a padded grip area with a wrist strap. This is definitely a quality piece of equiment and Bogen seems to have one of the best reputations of camera support manufacturers.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Solid Monopod!, January 19, 2008
I have never owned a monopod before, so I had no idea what to look for in this type of product. I turned to the helpful reviews here on Amazon.com to assist me in my selection. It became quite clear that the Bogen-Manfrotto line was the best choice due to the rave reviews they receive. I decided to go with the three section, black anodized model, as it seemed like the best, most cost effective model to choose from here on Amazon. I wanted a carbon fiber model but they were out of my price range.

I am very impressed with this Bogen-Manfrotto monopod. It is fairly light weight, easy to use, quick to setup, and it straps very nicely to my Canon 100DG Bag for Canon SLR Cameras. I can't stress enough just how solid the build is of this monopod. It is strong and shows no sign of fatigue with my Canon 40D digital SLR camera, Canon 580EX flash and my Canon 70-300mm IS/USM lens attached. I think it is important to note that you should mate a quality built swivel/tilt or ball head to this monopod. I chose the Bogen-Manfrotto 486RC2 Compact Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect System for mine, which I am also very impressed with.

I will not go into detail about the specifications of this item, as you can easily find this information in the description here on Amazon. All I can say is, from a users standpoint, this Bogen-Manfrotto monopod is awesome! If you are looking for a high quality monopod for your still or digital camera, I would highly recommend that you purchase this model. Although I have to be honest about the fact that I have no reference to compair this model to, I must insist that I am not basing my review on using lightweight equipment with this monopod. My camera, lens and flash combination place a fair amount of weight on this device, and it has proven to be a rock solid stabilizing device for shooting pictures. For the lost cost of this model I just can't see how you can go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best monopod!, June 15, 2009
rah101 (Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
As others have said, this is a great monopod. You may be wondering what the difference is between this, the 679, and another model a lot like it, the 680. I have both and I much prefer the 679. The 680's main feature is that its minimum length (i.e. fully collapsed) is less than the 679. However, you give up something for this increased portability - the 680 is fatter and heavier than the 679, and the extra section makes it slower to deploy. For most uses, it really doesn't matter how long the monopod is when it's collapsed, so unless you need it to fit in a travel bag or backpack, you are better off with the 679.

I'd also recommend getting the Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Head for use with any monopod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, April 16, 2007
Substantial yet light weight, easy to use. I bought this to take pictures at tennis matches and in the theatre (high school plays), with my Nikon D70s. I'm very pleased with my choice. It comes in a clear plastic sleeve, so I might consider a carrying case of some sort in the future. I'm new to photography beyond the point-and-shoot pocket cameras, and was a bit confused in the beginning, thinking I needed an attachment to get it to fit my camera even though I had checked the specs before I ordered. I soon realized that if you just push on the mounting screw head, the spring-loaded outer screw gives way to an inner, smaller screw that fits my Nikon perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justifiably good reviews!, March 25, 2009
Michael Meredith "e-Mike" (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
While researching which monopod to buy, I looked at a number of products and their reviews. Most had variable percentages of "loved it" or "hated it" comments, and differing ranges of rankings. But the Manfrotto 679B Monopod was unique in that every review (15 of them) ranked this product with five stars. Well add my vote to the unanimous throng!

I've just returned from a vacation that provided an excellent test and the results blew me away. The Manfrotto provides a rock solid base for my digital SLR, giving me some of the best distance photos I've ever taken; without sacrificing comfort for utility. I could quickly extend the sections and then release the pod back into walking mode with minimal effort. It's weight was never a problem, nor did it ever even hint at being cumbersome.

After a while, I even found me using this as a walking stick, something I actually hadn't considered but in the future I'm just as likely to use it without the camera as with.

With many of the alternative products, there seemed to be varying complaints of durability problems, however I didn't see any with this one. And after a week of packing/unpacking and trekking on/off ship I have no concerns about this unit failing me. I suspect that I'll be using the Manfrotto for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and useful, May 4, 2007
Keefo (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I've had a really cheap, junky tripod for years. For my birthday a couple of months ago, I decided to get a new, decent tripod and head. I went to a camera shop and tried out one of the tripods I was interested in. While I was there, I played around with some of the monopods they had. On a lark, I bought the Manfrotto 679. I figured I wouldn't use it too much, but it would come in handy on occassion. I went back to the camera shop a couple of days later and picked up the tripod I was eyeing. The tripod is very nice, and I think I'm glad I have it. But so far the monopod goes everywhere my camera goes, and my new ballhead has been on my monopod since I bought it. I use it all the time. I normally brace it against something, so it works even better. The tripod I bought? It's still sitting in the box somewhere around my house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome quality and design!, August 23, 2007
Wow. This is the mercedes benz of monopods. Very rugged for hiking. Innovative and elegant mounting system. Nice sturdy handle with wrist strap. I think this is going to be a good friend for photographic adventures for years to come. Can't believe the quality for the price. Glad I didn't go for the $20 cheapo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, August 6, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photo essential, December 30, 2008
You want to take your camera to the deepest canyon's, muddiest trails, rockiest cliffs, and darkest forest. You don't want an accessory that's cheaply built, clumsy or cumbersome. You want to get intimate with your surroundings and you don't want a monopod that's going to slow you down.

This affordable monopod is the best buy I've made in the last year. It's rugged, compact, light and easy to set-up. It goes whereever I go and it's made the shot for me in situations that I would've had to bypass a good photo cause the light was too low. I have more crystal clear images with good depth of field thanks to this product.

And when I don't have my camera on it, it doubles as a great walking stick. I only wish I had bought one sooner!