4.0 out of 5 stars older 3030 is somewhat better
Published on April 11, 2009 by rah101

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems solid, but has some design flaws
This tripod head seems like a pretty solid mount, especially as an upgrade from the 391RC2. It locks down quickly and easily, and I don't have any reason to worry.

Published on April 16, 2012 by Stephen McFarland

4.0 out of 5 stars older 3030 is somewhat better, April 11, 2009
rah101 (Hampton, NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manfrotto 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate 200PL-14 - Replaces 3047 -Black (Electronics)
I agree with others that the older 3030 was much better. I actually like the knobs on the 804 better, but otherwise it is not as good. I had A LOT of trouble with the tilt mechanism - it kind of jerks instead of moving smoothly, so it is very difficult if you are trying to precisely position your focus point. Even with the knob completely loose, it still does not move smoothly.

I am modifying my review to increase the star rating from 3 to 4 stars. A comment on my review told me that I could improve the tilt mechanism by using graphite. I tried that and it did improve the tilt a lot. So I like the head better now. I do still think that the older 3030 was somewhat better, but I like the tension spring on the 804 that prevents the lens from pivoting down rapidly, and as I mentioned, I like the 804 knobs better. So I would now recommend the 804.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid Head Mount !!!, October 13, 2007
Looking for a better type of monopod for my Sony vx2100. Came across the Manfrotto BOGEN 804RC2 Head in my local camera store. Added this to a manfrotto monopod 560B with the arms at the base. Wow!!! This gives me alot of control with my camera and great movement in the pans & tilts. Does take some practice in getting use to but worth every penny invested into it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems solid, but has some design flaws, April 16, 2012

But it seems like there's a pretty severe issue that isn't made clear in the description. The head can only tilt up 30°. I really can't see why they've engineered it this way, it seems like a minor modification to the stop would allow much more tilt.

This means that the camera cannot be easily pointed at, say, birds in the top of a tree. It also means the head cannot be folded so that the adjustment knobs are out of the way. They're always sticking out, which makes it hard to fit in a tripod bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Met my needs very well, May 23, 2008
To start ... I'm not a tripod head enthusiast, just an amateur user who's only prior experience is with a cheap Ambico version.

With that out of the way, I found this product met my expectations for a head that cost twice as much as my original tripod.

It is fairly stable - the knobs hold my camera in place well, and the three controls give me good flexibility in maneuvering the camera as needed. However, the knobs are definitely twiddly and not as generously proportioned as the 808RC4.

However, this does take up much less space and is much lighter, both of which weighed heavily in my decision to choose it. As experienced tripod reviewers say - the best tripod is the one that you have available - and weight was a huge consideration for me.

I found the quick release plate to work pretty well too.

I bought this along with the 190XPROB - at a bundle discount (currently $217 from Amazon).

You might want to check out my more detailed review on how that bundle works out for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars First 3-Section Head, January 30, 2010
I bought this three-way head to couple my Manfrotto 190MF4. Although I have never used a high-quality tripod and head, I can tell that this head is of high-value and definitely worth the money. It is durable, easy to use, comfortable on the hands, and precise. The quick-release plate is a nice feature and make for fast set-up. One thing I made sure of was that it had a spirit level, which is especially necessary when shooting landscape or panoramic shots. Although it does move rather fluidly, there is a slight hitch when initiating the movement so I would not recommend this head for video work. Also, I plan on taking this on backpacking trips and the head is rather bulky even with the handles taken off, so I will probably want to get a simpler ball head for that purpose (my 190MF4 tripod is perfect for hiking/traveling by the way).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tripod head, January 20, 2010
LG (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
It's a solid tripod head for the price. Anyone expecting to get the performance of a ball head or of a $200+ head, should not buy this product. I found it easy to move around and to setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good photography head, October 1, 2011
We have this same head at our office and I bought it because of that at home. There are better heads but this one is solid and had the built in RC2 plate. It easily holds my 7D (dual battery grip) and 50mm -- 100-400 lens combination.

3.0 out of 5 stars jerky, June 1, 2010
I expected a smoother operation from a pan-tilt head like this. However, the quick release worked fairly well with the exception of when the lock-open was triggered it made getting the plate back in less intuitive. I do like the manfrotto quick-release system a little better than gitzo because it allows tightening of the plate with one simple operation, rather than screwing in a pressure plate. For now i'll be using the gitzo ball-head because it's a better fit for me (i.e., smoother operation, smaller and more portable).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment!, March 13, 2014
Whether your just getting into photography or a professional looking for new equipment this tilt head is a great investment! Easy to use, comfortable to maneuver as your adjusting your composition, and a good overall fell. I suggest investing in this product especially if your going to be carrying larger cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID!, February 4, 2014
Mark (Miami, FL) - See all my reviews
Can't beat this Pan Tilt Head for the money. Holds my full frame DSLR with a 70-200mm lens with no issues.

Rate and Discover Movies