5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto Tripod - Great!
Published on October 15, 2011 by MojoMichael

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but...
It is a well made sturdy tripod what I would change about it:
To mount the camera you need both hands, not easy.
To fit the folded tripod into its bag is a challenge a slightly bigger bag would've solved the problem.
Overall a bit too heavy and clunky for me.
Published 10 months ago by Fatemeh Drysdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto Tripod - Great!, October 15, 2011
This review is from: Manfrotto MK294A3-D3RC2 294 Aluminum Tripod Kit with 3-Way Head with Quick Release (Camera)
Wow! A professional photography recommended this tripod for me. I am so grateful to have this in my photo stable of goodies. I could not afford the carbon fiber tripods and this baby comes very close for a lot less money. It is light and strong! Easy setup, love the 3-way head. They have a ball head on same tripod if you like. Love the quick release, takes a little practice, but sweet design. The max height is 70 inch range which in most professionals eyes, a must. Very stable platform for those night shots and situations requiring long exposures. Enjoy! Mojo

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid construction, nice features, a little heavy..., February 3, 2013
I just bought this tripod/head combo at Costco (got the last floor display at a closeout price).

THE GOOD:
Legs extend quickly and smoothly for fast setup.
Tripod is ROCK SOLID. It claims to support up to 11 pounds and I believe it. This makes it suitable for many DSLRs with large telephoto lenses.
Flip lever leg locks (I won't buy a tripod with the twisty kind).
It's tall - if you extend the center column all the way up, it's around 70" tall.
Grippy foam substance on a couple of legs for better handling.

THE QUESTIONABLE:
I'm not sold on the 3-way head design. There are three handles (corresponding to different axis's of movement) that must be tightened/loosened to make adjustments. A ball or pistol grip head would be simpler & faster to use for DSLRs.
Costco included a bag (hurrah), but sadly the tripod won't fit unless the head is disassembled. (!)

THE BAD:
No spikes on feet.
No hook on center column to add extra ballast weight.
Weight - it's a pound or two heavier than I would prefer. This is my primary concern - if it's too heavy, it doesn't get used as much.

Overall this is a high quality tripod and a good value. You won't be disappointed in the quality. The question is whether the weight and head design will work for you. At the moment, I'm not sure whether I will keep it due to these factors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy but very sturdy - best for this price, June 2, 2012
I have several Manfrotto/Gitzo setups and this is the heaviest but also very very cheap. Bought this for a spotting scope and it is just perfect given for the low price, though quite heavy if you need to hike some distance especially if you have other gears to haul, but it is very sturdy. I wish Manfrotto would have spike feet for this since I use it mostly in bad hilly terrain and spike feet would allow for a more stable footing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod even under less than ideal shooting conditions, November 2, 2014
I have just returned from a week of shooting the northern lights with a Canon 6D in northern Norway with this tripod. It was understandably cold and, at times, quite breezy. The tripod performed magnificently. It was stable, sturdy and steady and stood up well in wind while my colleagues' tripods fell over causing damage to their cameras. All the above features were well tested since the aurora, even with a 6D, requires time exposures and, for clear, small star images, great stability. Furthermore, while the tripod does not come with spiked feet, it did not slip even when shooting on slick sheets of ice. Some complain about the tripod's weight. I am of lean build but only 5' 7" and pushing 70 years old. So, if I can carry it around, so can most. Only one slightly cautionary comment. The screws that attach the head to the tripod tend to come loose with use. So check occasionally if they are secure while working and carry extras with you. A screw lost in snow is a screw gone forever. All in all, for the money, as other reviewers have noted, an excellent tripod.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod, December 25, 2012
The only thing makes me a little uncomfortable is that the head does not turns as smoothly as I would expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tripod for the price, April 29, 2014
It is solid, simple, rugged and stable. I mount a Leupold 20x60x80 spotting scope and use it at the range. It comes with a rugged cylindrical container (soft sides, hard top) with shoulder strap and the whole rig is light enough for nature treks.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but..., March 21, 2014
It is a well made sturdy tripod what I would change about it:
To mount the camera you need both hands, not easy.
Overall a bit too heavy and clunky for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, June 6, 2014
I have a D7100 and read tons of reviews for tripods. I did not want something cheap or flimsy and wanted it to have adequate weight to hold my camera. It can get heavy if I put my telephoto lens on it. The tripod is heave and the camera can move on a 3 point axis. Its a great tripod and Im really glad I read the reviews to get the best one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy tripod, April 29, 2014
So far it's been just playing around with the tripod, however, I can say that this tripod is very sturdy, allegedly holds up to 11 lbs. so far I've used it with battery grip and a 70-200 3.5/5.6 lens on a d5100.

Only complaint would be that in order to move the head in any direction you need to untighten the grips, move, then tighten again. seems like a hassle when you want more dynamic stuff.

Anyway, quality is superb, and if you want to shoot portraits and family frames or landscapes, this is a very very good tripod for the amount you pay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tripod, February 21, 2014
Just as we were looking for. This tripod is really stable maybe a little bit heavy but it doen't matter. Good staff.