Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

on July 24, 2013
I bought both this Manfrotto MM394 and the Dolica WT-1003 for comparison because both are great monopods based on the reviews but I wanted to make sure that I make the right decision before settling with one monopod and return the other.

Manfrotto MM394 ($23.95)

Goods: Support up to 9.92lbs
Manfrotto is well-known for their excellent product quality
Bads: It does not include a carrying case (not a deal breaker but it would be nice to have one)
The feet that is touching the ground is made of plastic and there is no retractable steel spike feet

Dolica WT-1003 ($16.42)

Goods: It gives you extra 7 inches (67" vs Manfrotto's 60.04")
Non-skid rubber foot with retractable metal spike feet
Bads: It only support up to 6.7lbs weight
Wrist strap is a flimsy piece of fabric unlike Manfrotto's tough & thick fabric

Verdict: I finally decided to keep this one and returned the Dolica mainly due to its far better weight support. I own a Nikon D800 and a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS therefore having a monopod that can support the weight and still have enough room left makes this a winner. I'm a hobbyist therefore I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a monopod that I would not use frequently. For the price point and what it offers, this is definitely a winner.
on June 19, 2012
bought this to hold video camera steady and use as a walking stick on travel. would give 4.5 stars if possible

Pros:
very sturdy construction. easily substitutes as a walking stick, can put your weight on it.
easily attaches to camera (rotate stick, not camera.)
"flick" adjusters easier than "twist" adjusters.
relatively light weight (~ 2 -3 oz. heavier than a regular walking stick)--difference is virtually not noticeable.
compacts down to travel size; will fit in backpack.
taller than regular walking stick (so can hold camera at almost eye level)
price very reasonable compared to a walking stick.

Cons:
strap could be more comfortable
grip on handle could be more comfortable.
tip of stick isn't as hard as a regular walking stick so may not be useful for real wilderness hikes with large and unstable rocks. (OK on streets, cobblestones, unpaved trails)
slightly heavier than regular walking stick.

Misc: to protect end, buy 3/4" "chair leg tip" at a hardware store ($1.78 for 4 tips). fits securely.
on July 31, 2013
I'm a serial, light weight monopod, abuser who, after trashing three monopods in the last two years, moved up to this really sturdy monopod. It weighs twice as much as the monopods I've been been using and is about 15% longer, both retracted and extended. It is also MUCH sturdier and the leg locks feel much more reliable. I think this monopod will take all the abuse I will give it. With the extra weight and rigidity, it also holds my cameras more steadily.
on August 2, 2012
I bought this to use with a Panasonic video camera I have. It seems that the biggest issue people have with monopods is the construction. I have to admit that I have not tried to screw the stand into the camera hard enough to see which one will give, but I certainly have screwed it on firmly. This is a well made and nice looking piece of equipment. Very definitely worth the cost.
on December 9, 2012
this is definitely worth the price. You get a great value out of it. It's made by a reputable brand, has good weight, and is sturdy. I shoot a lot of sports with this, and it holds my camera and a rather large lens well. I have no worries of it breaking.
on March 17, 2013
This is a well made product. I bought this monopod after buying a Manfrotto tripod, I was so impressed, I figured I'd give this monopod a shot and I've not been disappointed, its light weight, easy to open and close, it's the right height for me (I'm 6'1"), it seems to hold my D800 with a long heavy 300mm lens just fine.
on June 8, 2013
I was glad I purchased the heavier of the two lightweight Monfrotto monopods. I frequently use it as a steady-rest without actually attaching the camera to it and doubles as as a trekking stick. I like the adjustment range and the positive locks. I use it in conjunction with Giottos MH1304-110C Professional Mini Ball Head so I can have a 'portrait' camera orientation or other tilt. I recommend it for use with a point & shoot (I use it for a Pentax Optio A90) or a light weight DSLR (my Canon EOS T2i (550D) or similar). NOT strong enough for a camera with a heavy telephoto.
on April 5, 2013
After trying to get more serious with photography, I knew I needed a monopod for certain situations where I needed to be more mobile, but still needed a steady shot.

After looking at some options, I went w/the Manfrotto MM394 since I've been happy with their tripod and sling bag that I already own.

This is again, a great product from Manfrotto. When it's locked out it feels like it could even do light duty as a walking stick. Great build and it's affordable!

The only "con" is that the head really needs a quick-release head mounted on it to be more useful. Otherwise you'd end up with it screwed to your camera the whole time or hassling with it all the time. I added a quick release head (the same as my tripod) from Manfrotto as well, and now I just leave the quick release plate on my camera and can switch back and forth between tripod and monopod with ease.

Love it!
on January 5, 2014
I purchased this to support heavy lens purchased for sports, 70-300L. Leaves my hand free to turn extender ring at end of lens. Feels solid, made well, suits the purpose. Also looks good. Do wish it came with a small carry bag to prevent scratches when traveling. I like to shoot through the viewfinder in bright daylight, and it only extends to 60". But, I am short at 5'3", so works for me. Overall I recommend if the maximum extension is enough for you.
on December 7, 2013
I like it. Quality monopod. Wanted some thing I could utilize for a dual purpose, hiking stick and camera support. I put a crutch tip on it to save wear and tear on the original. Would highly urge you to get this one, it works for me.