Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Manga Artist's Workbook: Easy-to-Follow Lessons for Creating Your Own Characters
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

The Manga Artist's Workbook is a mix between a How-to-Draw
book and a Sketch Pad. It goes over head positions, eyes,
eye expressions, hair, body form, hands, clothing, and more.
In the midst of informing you on basics and essentials to
this style of drawing, it has tracing paper and graph paper
to help you learn the lining and spacing. Often times the
book gives you an example drawing and asks you to either
recreate it or recreate an aspect of the drawing on a
partially finished example. It has mini-lessons to complete
to help you to learn this type of drawing that are
comprehensible and fun.

Before I read this book, I didn't
know anything about Manga, and couldn't draw it. Now if I
use a picture of whoever I'm turning into a Manga sketch,
and this book as a reference, I can draw a half-decent
person. As I can't draw people whatsoever, this is as good
as I'm likely to get. I expected to learn how to draw a
happy person looking straight at me, aka. a basic character,
nothing special. But I learned different views, emotions,
and the whole deal! This book exceeded my expectations; it
was the best How-To-Draw book I've read.

Reviewed by a young adult student reviewer
Flamingnet Book Reviews
Teen books reviewed by teen reviewers
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2009
In a different approach to his best selling Art books, Christopher Hart gives us "The Manga Artist's Workbook". The book includes step by step contruction techniques with tissue paper for budding artists to trace as well as grid paper for practise sketching.

Hart discusses (visually)facial expressions, proportions, poses, figure maneuvers, eyes, and hair styles. His art books cover these topics very well, but when you want to grab a pencil and draw, this book rocks.

Tim Lasiuta
on March 2, 2014
I ordered this for my 11 year old niece who loves to draw. She has been obsessed with anime lately, so I thought she might like this. She LOVES it. It has all these different illustrations and direction on how to draw eyes, feet, hair, ect. It's spiral bound, so she can lay it flat, it's a nice size, not huge and cumbersome, but not so tiny you can't see anything. Plus it was cheap. I was definitely the favorite auntie this year!
on September 16, 2014
I really like this book as a concept for how to start drawing manga. The inclusions of tracings and times to copy along side the instructions is a really good idea. The downside, as far as I saw, was that the instruction itself wasn't quite as good as in some of the other books I've picked up on the topic. This is a really cool workbook, and worth checking out, but if you are going to have limited time, or going to start out by only grabbing one or two books, the Mark Crilley books are probably a better choice.
on November 16, 2010
This book was awesome. It has really high quality drawings, that are pretty good manga drawings. The book is made with a really high attention to quality. The coverage is only for the basic manga aspects. This book is definitely one of the best how to draw books.
on January 3, 2013
Of all the manga drawing books I purchased for my niece, this is the one she loves the most. It allows her to copy manga features and compare her drawing to her "goal" side by side. This workbook seems much more effective than the regular drawing books which allow no space to practice or draw. It breaks the features down much more as well, such as just the eyes, face shape only, etc. I highly recommend this book.
on December 27, 2014
My 8 and 10 year old are drawing Manga characters now and this book has boosted their confidence with new drawings.
The "easy to follow" instructions make this book good for anyone. The use of tracing paper, grid paper, and sketching steps help a lot.

I also like how it shows different styles like traditional, sporty, casual. There also little lips like "Take your time when tracing the fingers to make them look rugged"
on February 14, 2012
I am a pretty advanced "artist" and what I liked about this book is that it has helpful tips that are good enough for the advanced artist but broken down enough that a beginner would be able to understand and follow the steps. It even provides tracing sheets so that you can trace over certain critical steps for practice. Certainly a must have for manga artists who are trying to pick up on new techniques or even polish old ones.
on April 19, 2015
This was such an aggravating book to use. The book gives you a picture and then expects you to know how to draw it. I'm not a beginner, but it was hard to use because there were no step-by-step instructions like the description said. I highly recommend not buying this book. It as a complete waste of money.
on April 5, 2015
My daughter is really into anime series and loves to try to draw characters, so I thought this was perfect. I was right, she loves it, takes it with her everywhere she goes and draws instead of playing on her smartphone. Pretty good deal to me! I don't draw in it but I do draw pencil sketches myself, and I have to say it's a really nice little instructional book with clear, concise examples that guide you through drawing your characters and making them look (anime) realistic. Definitely recommended for the artsy anime fan :)