A big fan here of Manga and just about all of the Japanese styles of art. I watch several shows regularly from Full Metal Alchemist to Bleach. When I was younger I watched tons of _Anime_ programs too. So, its been a dream of mine to draw Manga in some form or another for quite some time. When I bought this book I was unsure how it would be helpful.

On my own...
Published on June 15, 2010 by Geekdomo

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Americanized, Not for learning Manga
Published on November 25, 2010 by Manga Fanatic

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive resource. For beginners and more advanced illustrators, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away! (Paperback)

On my own drawing Manga has been less than successful. With this book I have improved my faces, bodies and hair more than I could have through practice alone.

The book covers the basics all the way up to perspectives in scenes and more. If you are even a little bit interested in drawing manga and like self help books then this book should not be passed up. It is a true treasure for the beginner up to the more advanced illustrator.

Accessories:
If you are going to be drawing on a tablet on your PC I recommend Manga Studio EX 4 (Win/Mac) for software and Wacom Intuos4 Medium Pen Tablet for the tablet. Don't bother with the Debut program of Manga Studio if you think you are going to get into this at all. I use Manga Studio to draw all of my line art sketches and illustrations.

If you are going to be drawing on paper, do yourself a favor and go to a real art store. Get good paper, HB or harder pencils and a VERY good eraser. Also get a set of .01 up to 1.0 pens. It will help you with your illustration.

Thats it, good luck with this great art form!

Thanks for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manga for the Beginner: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Right Away!, September 6, 2009
A Kid's Review
This book really did get me started drawing manga. The directions are easy to follow with good tips for drawing. The only part I didn't understand was the vanishing points section but I pretty much got everything else. One part I wish it would've gone over was the wrinkles in clothes. Although the book was pretty good, I'm working on realistic drawings but for anyone who wants to draw manga, this is really the right book to start off at.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Americanized, Not for learning Manga, November 25, 2010
As the title suggests, this book is way too Americanized for my tastes. "Manga for Beginners" is closer to regular american cartooning than real manga. Only on a few pages does it actually look like anime. Also, I would not suggest this for a beginner. Mostly it shows pictures and has tips but doesn't have that step-by-step process that most beginners really need to learn how to draw. Overall, I'd say this book is good if you're not too into anime/manga and if you're good at looking at something and copying it without a step-by-step description of how to get to it, otherwise it would be my very last choice for learning how to draw manga.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Name Says It All!!, January 22, 2010
Well my title says it all as well!

This book is exactly what most people need to start drawing manga right away. Starting with the most basic of all things, character design!

The book consists of a lot of different tips and guidance on how to draw characters. starting from the front view, the profile to the 3/4 views of the characters face,body and poses. It also has the basic tips and instructions on drawing weapons and clothes.

Just when you thought you are done by mastering those basics, the book teaches something more in a form of drawing animals, anthropods, shading ,colouring and drawing backgrounds!

The tips on drawing from perspective is in fact, in my opinion, a very useful tip for any artist in particular.

Overall, the book has everything the beginner needs to learn to start drawing right away! but, advanced or even intermediate artists may find this book a bit lacking, but why buy a book for beginners when you are higher in skill level in the first place?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners... who know how to draw, October 21, 2008
M. Harvey (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
You gotta be already pretty functionnal at drawing before reading this book. It goes right to the point and explains specifics details about mangas and how to draw them.

In no time, I was drawing pretty fine faces. There's a lot of explanations about eyes which is usually the main point of focus about mangas.

For the body, I found the list of tricks a bit short. So... I'm still practicing that part... understanding things on my own takes a bit longer.

All in all, Quite satisfied with the book!

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't see this as a very good book for beginners., November 17, 2010
W. Watson (Petersburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
When you read something that claims to be for beginners, you'd hope that it would focus more on building techniques that help you develop a wide range of skills. To me, this book seems to be lacking exactly that. There are a lot of poses that the writer/artist seems intent on showing you, but very little in the way of real lessons that a beginner needs to get better. It assumes too much, and offers very little in the way of actual practices and techniques that will help you develop your own style, be it chibi or shoujou. I'm someone who knows how to draw for the most part, and I find the questions that I would have are largely left unanswered. Like how to get the eyes in the proper proportion. Would you recommend a ruler, or compass, or a template? How about the type of pencils? Or using the blue pencils in order to sketch a rough outline and later using black pencils to get at the best lines and then fleshing it out from there. Or what type of paper works best? To me, a beginner's guide should start with all of those things, because they form the basis for making good artwork later on. If I'd seen this in a bookstore and picked it up before purchasing it, I would have put it back on the shelf and looked for something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Hart is not an artsit to learn manga from, April 18, 2012
Christopher Hart is a excellent cartoonist. But when it comes to manga, he is simply dabbling. His books on how to draw manga are insipid and lacking in any real substance. They teach you how to draw things incorrectly and lack any real and solid instructional value. If you want to learn how to draw manga, refer to Comickers or How to Draw Manga. Avoid Christopher Hart's books like the plauge.

2.0 out of 5 stars I see why he got famous, May 30, 2013
I understand now why Christopher Hart's books sell so well. He speaks like he's a master of the subject and convinces you that every step of the way will be easy as long as he's guiding you. That's not true, though. Manga is hard to draw, and I find it discouraging that Mr. Hart makes it out like it's going to be easy. If this had been the first how to draw book I ever got, I'd have given up, assuming I'd done something wrong because my drawings aren't as good as his and I had to work so hard to make them. Manga's hard to draw, but he doesn't tell you and you've got to find out for yourself. Also, not everything he says is right. For example, cyberpunk is almost always used as a reference to a genre, not a character. Besides, the "cyberpunk" he draws is not a cyberpunk character. Also, Mr. Hart is not shy about drawing racy. I wouldn't get this book for young children. If you ignore that, though, the pictures are rather pretty. That's the book's only redeeming aspect.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay.., April 2, 2012
This book is packed with illustrations, but Mr. Hart doesn't give much information. He just tells us what it is, and then that's it. I didn't get the perspective part. I wish he'd shown us how to draw hands and eyes instead of giving us PICTURES of hands and eyes. The face, let's see, there are MANY types of faces, but he gives us THIS one. The eyes don't look too manga to me but I'm fine with it. The body...is not too much. There were some pages for that part. My favorite part was the animal and action poses part. But don't get to excited, it takes a lot of practice to understand that part.
Overall it's a good book. If you've got money to spare, then buy it. But the shoujo one is better in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for all levels, July 13, 2010
This book is good for all levels. I have
other books on the subject but this one
is one of my favorites. The drawings
are well done and the instructions are easy
to understand. And it covers many different
areas of drawing manga not just one. I recommend
this book to those who are learning to draw and
those who want to get better at it.

Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away!
Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away! by Christopher Hart (Paperback - August 5, 2008)
$21.95 $15.11